Typos & Formatting Errors in Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible by Emanuel Tov

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 38 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 413
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 20 2018 9:34 AM

I'm grateful to finally have Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible in Logos. I imagine that it's been a challenge to format properly. That said, I'm already finding many typos and other formatting omissions/errors.

For example, how many typos can you find involving the interchange of ט/ש in the paragraph with the heading b. 4QJerd: Jer 43:2–10 on page 293? In addition, who is this fellow who goes by the name of מטה (occurring 4x on pp. 119, 123)?

As an example of a formatting omission, compare the text on page 123 in both the print and Logos editions. You should find that the print edition uses larger font sizes to draw attention to variant units (e.g., within words) whereas the Logos edition does not.

Feel free to list any other significant problems that you find in this thread.

Posts 911
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 20 2018 3:26 PM

The amount of typos is unbelievable. I reported about 10 and then I stopped. ד and ר interchange in almost every other word. Here are but a few examples:

Posts 413
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 20 2018 3:40 PM

David Knoll:

The amount of typos is unbelievable. I reported about 10 and then I stopped. ד and ר interchange in almost every other word.

Thanks, David. It doesn't help Faithlife's argument for the superior quality of Logos Editions (not to mention some of their databases that need a lot of work). I covered the interchanges of ט and ש that I could find with wildcard searches, along with several others. The one's you found are likely even more abundant. Whether the text comes from Faithlife or the publisher, it seems like a serious quality control problem.

Posts 874
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 22 2018 8:55 AM

Thank you for the report. We'll look into this immediately.

Posts 413
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 22 2018 9:44 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

Thanks, Kyle. I greatly appreciate it!

Posts 874
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 22 2018 10:17 AM

Adam Olean:

Kyle G. Anderson:

Thanks, Kyle. I greatly appreciate it!

I forgot to mention two things:

1. My sincere apologies. I'm disappointed in the output of this and am looking into how the breakdown occurred.
  2. Adjusting font size within a Hebrew word: unfortunately this isn't something we currently support in Hebrew right now. We run into a similar problem in grammars when the print might use alternate formatting how vowel points might change in various forms of a lemma.
Posts 413
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 22 2018 6:12 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:

I forgot to mention two things:

1. My sincere apologies. I'm disappointed in the output of this and am looking into how the breakdown occurred.
  2. Adjusting font size within a Hebrew word: unfortunately this isn't something we currently support in Hebrew right now. We run into a similar problem in grammars when the print might use alternate formatting how vowel points might change in various forms of a lemma.

Thanks again, Kyle. I know from prior experience that you and your colleagues always take care of such problems. This one is definitely the exception, not the rule. This book's complex formatting and ubiquitous use of pointed and unpointed Hebrew along with other diacritical markings provides ample opportunity for errors. It's probably a good test case!

I recall some of those discussions about Hebrew in the past. Does this also apply to unpointed Hebrew? If not, I'd understand why you might want to avoid inconsistent formatting. Let's throw more robust support for Hebrew formatting on the wishlist for Logos 8, 9, 10, ... or preferably sooner than later!

Posts 911
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 23 2018 12:12 AM

Look on the bright side: The book as it is could serve as an excellent exercise for textual criticism students. "Find all the variants between Tov's Fortress edition and his Logos edition and categorise them according to their origin"

Wink

Posts 45
Phil Quigley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 23 2018 4:29 AM

Hahaha! I had the exact same thought.

Posts 413
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 24 2018 10:19 AM

David Knoll:

Look on the bright side: The book as it is could serve as an excellent exercise for textual criticism students. "Find all the variants between Tov's Fortress edition and his Logos edition and categorise them according to their origin"

Wink

The thought had crossed my mind ... Big Smile

Now Faithlife will have to maintain two editions to satisfy everyone.

Posts 943
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 4:37 PM

They're still working on fixing this issue but they can no longer sell this book! https://community.logos.com/forums/t/173648.aspx

Posts 931
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2018 12:35 PM

I'm hoping we will get notified when it is fixed?

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 9029
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2018 1:44 PM

John Goodman:

It should just download to your computer. You'll see a recent Last Updated date on it. Maybe Kyle will post something here.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 874
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2018 4:13 PM

Yes. I'll post something here. I'm targeting the 30th.

Posts 9029
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2018 4:44 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:

Yes. I'll post something here. I'm targeting the 30th.

That’s pretty fast. Thanks, Kyle.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 911
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 8:02 AM

Mark Smith:

John Goodman:

It should just download to your computer. You'll see a recent Last Updated date on it. Maybe Kyle will post something here.

Where do you see the recent updates/downloads on L8?

Posts 21520
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 8:16 AM

David Knoll:

Using the "Last Updated" or "Added" facets in the Library

Posts 911
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 8:30 AM

1. Thank You!

2. Is there a way to have a shortcut for this on my Dashboard in a manner similar to L7?

Posts 7881
LogosEmployee

David Knoll:

You can also switch to Details view, add the Last Updated column, then sort it in reverse order. (This is the same as L7.)

Posts 911
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 9:50 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

David Knoll:

You can also switch to Details view, add the Last Updated column, then sort it in reverse order. (This is the same as L7.)

In L7 I had something like this:

Can I achieve the same display in L8?

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS