Typos & Formatting Errors in Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible by Emanuel Tov

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 38 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 20887
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 10:06 AM

No, that isn’t available in L8

Posts 911
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 10:09 AM

Graham Criddle:

No, that isn’t available in L8

Thank you! Obviously it takes time to get used to something new.

Posts 835
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 10:01 AM

Mark Smith:

Kyle G. Anderson:

Yes. I'll post something here. I'm targeting the 30th.

That’s pretty fast. Thanks, Kyle.

As of this morning, it's looking like we'll be done on October 31st. If all goes well I'll publish the update then.

Posts 8988
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 10:22 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:
As of this morning, it's looking like we'll be done on October 31st. If all goes well I'll publish the update then.

Yes Thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2071
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 10:46 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

Have the issues with this resource been addressed?

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 835
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 4:32 PM

Beloved:

Kyle G. Anderson:

Have the issues with this resource been addressed?

Darn! I just logged on proud of myself to give an update without being prompted and you beat me to it.

The work was finished last night and I took a look at it today and found something else I wanted fixed so its undergoing that change. Thankfully its very minor. I'll let you know when we release it. It'll be days, not weeks.

Posts 835
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 8:47 AM

We've gotten the typos fixed and are planning on pushing the update out on Monday.

Adam Olean:

I'm grateful to finally have Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible in Logos. I imagine that it's been a challenge to format properly. That said, I'm already finding many typos and other formatting omissions/errors.

For example, how many typos can you find involving the interchange of ט/ש in the paragraph with the heading b. 4QJerd: Jer 43:2–10 on page 293? In addition, who is this fellow who goes by the name of מטה (occurring 4x on pp. 119, 123)?

As an example of a formatting omission, compare the text on page 123 in both the print and Logos editions. You should find that the print edition uses larger font sizes to draw attention to variant units (e.g., within words) whereas the Logos edition does not.

Feel free to list any other significant problems that you find in this thread.

Adam, I've been double checking the reported typos this morning and some of your comments made me laugh out loud (e.g. "This is not Tov/good!") Well played and thank you for that!

Posts 835
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2018 8:48 AM

Correction: The update will be pushed out tomorrow, November 13th.

Posts 911
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2018 9:03 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:

The corrected resource is much improved. Nevertheless, I managed to find 15-20 more typos through a cursory reading of the Hebrew examples. I reported most of them.

Posts 890
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 13 2018 2:14 AM

That is appalling! Can we get someone competent on this? Sorry, harsher than necessary. I'm really disappointed, how can I trust this book? I've waited a long time to get this in Logos format... I think it is totally reasonable to expect better from faithlife. Please fix this quickly.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 835
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 13 2018 8:20 AM

David Knoll:

Kyle G. Anderson:

The corrected resource is much improved. Nevertheless, I managed to find 15-20 more typos through a cursory reading of the Hebrew examples. I reported most of them.

I apologize. I'll take a look and follow up with the team.

Posts 890
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 8:38 AM

update?

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 835
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 8:41 AM

John Goodman:

update?

Good timing. I just logged in to pass along that we pushed out an update 5 minutes ago.

Thank you for your patience on this.

Posts 911
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 4:50 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:

John Goodman:

update?

Good timing. I just logged in to pass along that we pushed out an update 5 minutes ago.

Good news is that the many graphic interchanges of similar characters seem to be gone (I cannot guarantee 100%, but from what I can see by a cursory look).

Bad news is that many Hebrew examples show some sort of word order problem. It may be related to the brackets or curly brackets inside the line. Part of the sentence is shifted to the left or to the right and the text becomes incomprehensible. I reported most of these cases I think. 

Another problem relates to the long examples in chapter 7. Where two long texts are juxtaposed, the matching words should be placed one on top of the other. There are shifts there and someone should have a look at that (I reported several such cases). These examples where set this way to assist the student in identifying the differences between the versions. I reported some of these imperfections.

Last but not least, formatting has a meaning in this book and as far as I can tell, the Hebrew text is never italicised in the Logos edition, even in places like table 1 on page 289ff where Tov explicitly refers to this formatting "This table presents Jeremiah 27 in parallel lines: the reconstructed Hebrew source of 𝕲* in the first line and 𝕸 in the second line in italics". I reported some (apparent) formatting errors of this kind.

All in all I reported about 25 corrections.  

Posts 835
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 7:30 AM

David Knoll:

Kyle G. Anderson:

John Goodman:

update?

Good news is that the many graphic interchanges of similar characters seem to be gone (I cannot guarantee 100%, but from what I can see by a cursory look).

Bad news is that many Hebrew examples show some sort of word order problem. It may be related to the brackets or curly brackets inside the line. Part of the sentence is shifted to the left or to the right and the text becomes incomprehensible. I reported most of these cases I think. 

Another problem relates to the long examples in chapter 7. Where two long texts are juxtaposed, the matching words should be placed one on top of the other. There are shifts there and someone should have a look at that (I reported several such cases). These examples where set this way to assist the student in identifying the differences between the versions. I reported some of these imperfections.

Last but not least, formatting has a meaning in this book and as far as I can tell, the Hebrew text is never italicised in the Logos edition, even in places like table 1 on page 289ff where Tov explicitly refers to this formatting "This table presents Jeremiah 27 in parallel lines: the reconstructed Hebrew source of 𝕲* in the first line and 𝕸 in the second line in italics". I reported some (apparent) formatting errors of this kind.

All in all I reported about 25 corrections.  

Thanks David. I really appreciate it.

I'm looking at these this morning and I'm realizing some of these are due to limitations in our rendering abilities. Lining things up in print is a different order than a dynamic screen. I think there are a few things at play that don't have to do with how we coded the text itself. I'm going to do a little research and see if there are any simple fixes we could implement immediately.

Also: how are you viewing the text? I haven't checked all of your italic examples but I'm on a PC and they've all been in italics. I'm wondering if there is a rendering issue at hand.

Posts 911
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 8:03 AM

Alignment: maybe you could insert the two texts into a table? 

Italics: I am on a mac. Do you see the Hebrew text in italics? I only reported the Hebrew text In Hebrew characters.

Should this turn out to be a rendering problem, I can report there is no Hebrew italic text in this resource on iOS as well.

Posts 835
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2018 8:12 AM

David Knoll:

Alignment: maybe you could insert the two texts into a table? 

Italics: I am on a mac. Do you see the Hebrew text in italics? I only reported the Hebrew text In Hebrew characters.

Should this turn out to be a rendering problem, I can report there is no Hebrew italic text in this resource on iOS as well.

Thanks! This is what I needed to know. No need to report any more italics issues. I've got enough to go on.

Posts 890
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2018 2:09 PM

Is this complete? Hard to feel it can be trusted to be accurate! Not owning a paper copy to compare it with,

Posts 835
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2018 8:11 AM

John Goodman:

Is this complete? Hard to feel it can be trusted to be accurate! Not owning a paper copy to compare it with,

Yes. I'm going to be reviewing some possible formatting changes--to be clear this is an attempt to work within limitations of a dynamic medium as opposed to a static page--but beyond that to the best of my knowledge he typos have been fixed. The development team is also working on an iOS fix but that extends beyond this resource.

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS