NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 260
Andrew | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 25 2018 3:21 PM

Why is this resource "Bible Notes" rather than "Bible Commentary"?  It would be nice if it would show up as a parallel resource for commentaries... 

Posts 25375
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 25 2018 4:45 PM

Bible Notes should behave like a Bible Commentary - Study Bibles are the prime example.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 260
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 8:31 AM

Also, what about "Calendar Devotionals" acting like Lectionaries?  For example, I was expecting "Ancient Christian Devotional: A Year of Weekly Readings: Lectionary Cycle A" to work like a Lectionary...

Posts 25375
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 2:53 PM

Calendar Devotional have their own daily display format - a bit different from lectionaries as to where they appear on the home page. How, I believe the Ancient Christian Devotional is not tagged with lectionary dates so it doesn't work as a lectionary or as a calendar devotional ... but I'd have to double check.

I checked: Double checked: It is tagged with liturgical dates and tagged as a calendar devotional. Logos does not handle that combination in any way. I have requested that L8 handle this as part of cleaning up the lectionary/saints/calendar devotional mess.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 260
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 11:19 AM

MJ. Smith:

Bible Notes should behave like a Bible Commentary - Study Bibles are the prime example.

Are there any other forum threads on this topic?

MJ. Smith:

Calendar Devotional have their own daily display format - a bit different from lectionaries as to where they appear on the home page. How, I believe the Ancient Christian Devotional is not tagged with lectionary dates so it doesn't work as a lectionary or as a calendar devotional ... but I'd have to double check.

I think you are right...the Ancient Christian Devotional is categorized as a "Calendar Devotional" but I don't see it listed as a "Daily Devotional"...I don't quite understand.

Posts 260
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2018 11:26 AM

MJ. Smith:

MJ. Smith:
[The Ancient Christian Devotional] is tagged with liturgical dates and tagged as a calendar devotional. Logos does not handle that combination in any way. I have requested that L8 handle this as part of cleaning up the lectionary/saints/calendar devotional mess.

Any progress on these?

Posts 9431
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2018 11:51 AM

Andrew:

MJ. Smith:
[The Ancient Christian Devotional] is tagged with liturgical dates and tagged as a calendar devotional. Logos does not handle that combination in any way. I have requested that L8 handle this as part of cleaning up the lectionary/saints/calendar devotional mess.

Any progress on these?

It seems there was some progress in changing the datatype to "Calendar Devotional" (used to be monograph) - however, this is no real progress, since this type doesn't solve anything. The reason they can't be added as tiles on the homepage is the same as before: they don't have a YearMonthDay index - as the lectionaries do, and which would make sense for this resource, since the devotions don't follow a calendar year, but the lectionary, which runs for three years, but each Sunday's calender date will be different every year. 

But you can have the RCL on the homepage and link ACD to it in the same link set and have it open in a layout - as discussed (including screenshots) here: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/172798/997806.aspx#997806 

EDIT:

Andrew:
the Ancient Christian Devotional is categorized as a "Calendar Devotional" but I don't see it listed as a "Daily Devotional"...I don't quite understand.
- for this to work, it would need a DayOfYear index (such as Dec, 27). Such an index is not present in the resource and would not make any sense to build: E.g. Easter Sunday, which determines the dates of most other Sundays, fell on March 27 in 2016, but will fall on April 21 in 2019. You'll note that other calendar devotionals which do have that index will read the same text every April 21st, regardless of the liturgical year - this is not feasible for a lectionary-date driven resource, the resource type is simply misleading and should be lectionary - but either there needs to be a homepage tile that understands liturgical dates, or this resource needs to have YearMonthDay index entries built for it to work alone on the L8 homepage.       

Running Verbum 7 and Logos 8 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS