Introducing the New Logos Notes

Page 2 of 5 (89 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 88 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 10:10 AM

Joe Mayden:
Is the range of data types limited or unlimited - for example under the facet browser there are Highlights and Notes.

There's a "Types" facet which is limited to Notes and Highlights.

There's a datatype facet which will support any datatype that Logos supports (e.g. Bible, Josephus, TDNT, etc.)

Joe Mayden:
Is the range of Anchors limited or unlimited

This supports several options: Text Range (you've selected text then highlighted or added a note), Reference (you've right-clicked and added a highlight/note to a reference), or Unanchored (you've added a note but not attached it to any resource). There are other options for notes anchored to workflows and headwords. There may be others I haven't discovered yet.

Joe Mayden:
Referring to the attached document

Your document is mostly correct — apart from:

• "Each highlighting style creates a notebook". Each highlight palette (not style) is linked to a notebook. But there's no reason that all the palettes can't link to the same notebook if that's what you prefer. You can also create arbitrary notebooks if you wish.
  • "If a selected text in a book has been highlighted it becomes a notebook" — this isn't correct. Hopefully the answer above makes this clearer for you.

Joe Mayden:
Is the range of data types limited or unlimited - for example under the facet browser there are Highlights and Notes.

Posts 13
Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 5:13 AM

Thanks Mark,

It looks like that would be a great solution if I still used the desktop. I didn’t see how to revert back for iOS or online use. 

Blessings

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 5:23 AM

Steve:
It looks like that would be a great solution if I still used the desktop. I didn’t see how to revert back for iOS or online use. 

You can revert back on iOS by re-installing the older version.

You can revert back on the web by going to https://7.app.logos.com/ but the web never supported 'old' notes so that won't help.

Posts 13
Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 5:23 AM

Hi Reuben,

After reading some more (especially the link Mark provided), I think my main issue is not having the labels. I labeled all my notes so that I could easily go back to review and edit them. For example. I have a note labeled “Anger”. In that note I have a lot of scripture references with some thoughts by each verse. I also have quotes about anger from various authors. If I am in a study group and the topic of anger comes up, I can go to my note and have instant access to years of accumulated study on the subject. I have hundreds of such topics. With the new notes I have all my notes, but they won’t sort by the labels. So if I want to find my note on anger, I search anger and dozens of notes pop up. Then I have to scroll through until I find the right one. It is usually in the top twenty results, but not always. 

The biggest thing that would help me is to add a sort feature that alphabetized the notes based upon the first letter of the first word in the note. Which so happens to be the old label. iOS sorts my iPhone Notes App in this way. It doesn’t need labels, it just sorts on that first letter. It seems like that could be a simple solution for my needs. 

blessings

Posts 13
Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 7:10 AM

Thanks for the idea Mark. I’m still researching to see if I can do this. I back up to the cloud since I don’t have a laptop/desktop. Not sure it’s possible based upon what I’ve seen so far, but it’s a great thought. 

Posts 21725
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 7:19 AM

Steve:
I labeled all my notes so that I could easily go back to review and edit them.

How did you label notes? This is an option on the desktop - using labels with highlights - but as far as I know that particular feature never came to the mobile apps.

So just wondering what mechanism you used - to try and work through possible options.

Posts 13
Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2018 4:12 AM

I guess I’m not sure. I used the desktop version for years. When adding a note I would put a topic title like “Anger” into the top section. Then I would type my note in the section below. When I went back to look for my notes which I had in the collapsed list, I would have an alphabetical listing of all my notes.  I could click on the single line that had my “title”, and that one note would show in the side panel  

When the iOS app came out our Notes didn’t transfer over right away, but eventually they were available. I could add or edit notes the same way I could on the desktop. That is when I started using my iPad so much I eventually ditched my laptop. 

Posts 21725
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2018 6:10 AM

Steve:
I guess I’m not sure. I used the desktop version for years. When adding a note I would put a topic title like “Anger” into the top section. Then I would type my note in the section below. When I went back to look for my notes which I had in the collapsed list, I would have an alphabetical listing of all my notes.  I could click on the single line that had my “title”, and that one note would show in the side panel  

Understood - that was using the note "title", something that isn't included in the new Notes Tool.

The nearest equilvalent in the new Notes Tool is tags - allowing us to add as many tags as we want to any note

You can then filter on those tags to get the ones you want.

Some issues that would need to be addressed:

• Currently adding tags isn't supported in the mobile apps. It is on the webapp and you can filter on tags in the mobile apps
  • All your labels currently use "titles" and moving them to tags would be quite a process
  • Tags are sorted by count as opposed to alphabetically at the moment - so you would need to use a search box to find the tag you are interested in.

So just some thoughts - but no real solution I'm afraid.

Posts 21725
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 6:45 AM

Phil - would it be possible to make this note "sticky" so we have easy access to the FAQ etc?

Posts 104
pk47 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 6:37 PM

One of my favorite features was the abilitiy to highlight books and then search the highlights for key words or ideas. With the new note system, that has been temporarily disabled. I just came across the upcoming features that Logos plans on working to implement in the future. Could someone assist me with what that feature is called-- is it number 5 or 18? I hope its 5. 

1. Notebooks in the Docs panel

2. Sorting notes by reference

3. Integration of notebooks in the Your Documents search section in Everything search

4. Integration of notebooks in the My Content section of Guides

5. Highlight search extension searches

6. Labels

7. Quotes view (currently supported for single resources in Notes & Highlights resource sidebar)

8. Compact (i.e., one line) view (which will enable a comparable Split view)

9. Full view

10. Corresponding Notes & Highlights visual filter

11. Send to sermon document

12. Export to/save as word list/passage list?

13. Previous/Next Annotation in the Locator Bar

14. Remember your icon, color, and style preferences

15. Guide notes

16. Bible reference anchored notes on mobile

17. CTRL+F  on the desktop to find in Notes

18. Search hit highlighting

Posts 26129
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 7:19 PM

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 104
pk47 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 8:40 PM

Thank you. Looks like it will be available sooner rather than later :)

Posts 4753
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 10:13 PM

I watched a video that introduces the new Notes design...and there wasn't a single example shown of what a note pop-up window looks like when the cursor hover over the note icon. A staggering oversight. I am left having to ask:

Can Logos 8 do this?

Notice how the pop-up window of the note shows the whole contents of the note. This is accomplished without a single mouse click, just by hovering over the Note icon. Notice also how BIG the pop-up is...it isn't one of those tiny and extraordinarily annoying 2x3 in. keyholes that Logos started sporting in L4. These new, post-L3 Notes pop-up windows are so limited they are almost functionally worthless. In contrast, how big can one of these L3 (that's what you are looking at) Note pop-ups be? As big as the screen itself...

For the record, what L3 notes are capable of can't be replicated in L4, L6, L7, (and I guessing) L8, either. Why not??? Am I the only one who sees how valuable this function is? This allows pretty much any pertinent content (from your Library or elsewhere) to be pigeon-holed in the precise spot in your Bible where that information is relevant. For instance, in the screen shot below, I am about to hover over a note in verse 16...

...and when I do, this is what I see.

Isn't this 10000000000 times better than what L8 (or any L-not-3) does? But it's not just the ability to create alternate marginal references. You can include pretty much any useful info for instant reference WITHOUT A SINGLE CLICK NEEDED, such as...

...or this...

THIS IS WHAT NOTES IN LOGOS 8 SHOULD DO.

Posts 26129
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 10:49 PM

David Paul:
Isn't this 10000000000 times better than what L8 (or any Lnot3) does?

No

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4753
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 10:58 PM

Why not?

Posts 26129
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 11:02 PM

Because I don't want my notes covering the text that they are annotating.

Posts 4753
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 11:03 PM

Then expend the .00000000000001 of a joule of effort and move the cursor 1-2 mm.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Besides, how are you going to read your notes if you can't see them?

Honestly, your rejection sounds a whole lot like, "I hate those darn wheel things! They keep rolling away!"

Posts 26129
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 11:06 PM

That doesn't resolve the problem - text and notes should work politely side by side with predictable alignment. But I have no problem with your working your way and my working my way. I won't ask for changes for you nor evaluate the value of your way. Just don't ask me to pretend that one way is the only way or the right way or the best way.

Posts 4753
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 11:11 PM

MJ. Smith:

That doesn't resolve the problem - text and notes should work politely side by side with predictable alignment. But I have no problem with your working your way and my working my way. I won't ask for changes for you nor evaluate the value of your way. Just don't ask me to pretend that one way is the only way or the right way or the best way.

Um, pretty sure you are doing what you are suggesting I'm doing, when I'm not doing it. Dog  L3 does what you insist it should do...

...which I think you know. But I CAN'T do what I want with Notes because the functionality I use constantly was removed from the program FOR STUPID REASONS.

I'm not saying Notes must be used my way or not at all...which ought to be obvious. But having the functionality I demonstrate above is EXTRAORDINARILY FUNCTIONAL and HELPFUL...not to mention FAST and EASY (because NO CLICKS ARE REQUIRED to read the note contents).

Posts 17877
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 11:50 PM

David Paul:
(because NO CLICKS ARE REQUIRED to read the note contents)

Provided Note Contents fit in pop-up window (otherwise scrolling is needed). Noticed a variety of note color icons in Genesis 1, which could become different Notebooks in Logos 8 (implies if Note content was too big for one icon, then another one was used so to see all contents of all Notes moving mouse is needed plus remembering stuff across variety of pop-ups).

Logos 8 Notes Tool can be in its own floating window, which is much larger than pop-up when hovering. Facets include count per Bible Book reference.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 5 (89 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS