Introducing the New Logos Notes

Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 57 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 201
Jim Erwin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 8:12 AM

I used the old note system and it was effective for me. I would organize a sermon plan, make the note icon silver circle for sermon prep notes. Then I would write out the entire manuscript in Logos. I would take previous notes i wrote and add them all onto a word processor document, footnote what was necessary, post to my blog on Patheos, and then copy and paste that post back into Logos. I would make that new note a gold circle (for the completed sermon). I put it in a certain folder where I knew sermons were going. 

All my notes would show up in the Passage Guide, I could work with them, and my workflow became simple. I would just add notes and thoughts to a certain note and then write my sermons out. 

I used the search function to find all I needed and used my Scripture verse as my connecting search. 

However, now with this notes system, my searching has changed (and it doesn't do what I want it to do). I can't find my notes so easily and it seems that tagging is the way to sort most of my notes. My problem with this is that I have over 3000 notes and I will probably have to spend a week to tag them all. 

I wish there was a way for Logos to help tag and make it easier for me. 

The fact that my notes don't show up in the Passage Guide is a serious misstep. This should have been ready when Logos 8 was made public. I also don't like that I have to go to another menu to find my notes. 

I will adapt to this new system. But it reminds me of going from writing my sermons by hand to typing them out. It also reminds from going from odl school searching to searching digitally on Google. It just changes the way I have to work. I hope it cuts my time down. But I wish Logos would not make me have to do additional work just to make something that was already workable function properly in its own new system. 

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/jimerwin/ - a postmodern pastor in a digital world

Posts 69
John Sheeley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2018 9:36 AM

I see a lot of people love the new notes in 8. Put me down in the camp that hates the new format. I've tried watching the tutorial video and it just confuses me even more. I've had Logos for 9 years now and most upgrades I've liked, this one is the first I loathe. It makes no sense to my brain and I can't figure out how to just make notes for a particular sermon anymore.

Posts 12729
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2018 9:41 AM

John Sheeley:

I see a lot of people love the new notes in 8. Put me down in the camp that hates the new format. I've tried watching the tutorial video and it just confuses me even more. I've had Logos for 9 years now and most upgrades I've liked, this one is the first I loathe. It makes no sense to my brain and I can't figure out how to just make notes for a particular sermon anymore.

The new Notes system actually makes lots more sense than the old one — but I guess if you're used to the old one then the new one can be confusing. If you have a specific question, or are able to explain what you're trying to do, then I'm sure forum users would help.

Posts 11
Houseonarock | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2018 4:10 PM

You are correct. tried that suggestion and had duplicate note icons in the resources and duplicate visual filter entries. 

Posts 7
Bill & Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2018 5:17 PM

Phil,

My wife and I have been owned logos through many product cycles, we are still very beginning users and have not been through the many available tutorials or read the plethora of forums on your site.  Frankly, for us, it's like drinking from the proverbial fire hose.  Therefore my question here may be too basic, (or because I am lazy... if I worked just a little harder I could find the answer on your site myself.)

But here are two questions.

#1.  As my wife begins to use Logos more frequently, she will highlight something important for her... but when she does it shows up on my note/bible/commentary as a highlighted note.  Question:  What do we have to do to separate her notes/highlights from my notes/highlights?

#2  Is there a way to set my "preferences for highlighting" to one or more "default preferences".  I find it cumbersome to "hunt" for the correct tool each time I want to use the highlighter tool.  I would like to "set" the tool to my individual preferred default preference.  (I hope that makes sense to you?)

Thanks for any input you may have

Bill & Gail

Posts 1376
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2018 12:31 AM

Bill, I'm not Phil but here's my take on your questions.

Bill & Gail:
What do we have to do to separate her notes/highlights from my notes/highlights?

I'd say the best way to achieve this currently would be to use Notebooks. If this is the only reason you (or she) would use notebooks, a single (e.g. "Gail's Note") notebook for each of you would be sufficient. My recommendation would be to go through each of your highlighting palettes and set them to "Most recent notebook", then while you're using Logos open the notebooks tab in the notes tool and select the desired notebook. With this in place, you can highlight to your heart's content and highlights will automatically get assigned to that notebook. Of course, the same is true for when your wife is using Logos.

One of the reasons for this approach is that Notebooks are currently the only way to hide/display notes on a granular level.

Bill & Gail:
Is there a way to set my "preferences for highlighting" to one or more "default preferences".

If I'm understanding you correctly, are shortcut keys not what you're looking for (these are persistent across sessions)? To use these (once you've set them) simply select the text you're interested in and hit the relevant key on the keyboard. You have a total of 36 keys to choose from. Once these are set you won't need to open the highlight tool until you need to make a change!

Posts 4420
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2018 12:35 AM

Bill & Gail:
#1.  As my wife begins to use Logos more frequently, she will highlight something important for her... but when she does it shows up on my note/bible/commentary as a highlighted note.  Question:  What do we have to do to separate her notes/highlights from my notes/highlights?

I can answer the first of your questions Bill (and Gail). Logos is sold as a single user product. There are no facilities for multiuser operations.

Faithlife, however, recognise Christian marriage and that when two are joined they become one flesh. Hence they allow use of a single system by a married couple (providing that they are not both in professional ministry employment).

Of course being 'one flesh' the highlights of one will be just as important to the other so it would be 'unChristian' to separate them.  ;-)

Posts 98
Anthony Dowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2018 6:42 AM

Game, Set and Match Mike! A biblical response to a software question - who says the Bible is old fashioned and outdated?

Posts 74
DavidS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2018 9:02 PM

It seems like you could use separate folders to solve some of the issue, with more than one user.

Posts 74
DavidS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2018 11:52 PM

Might be better to tag each note with first name of user.

Posts 1376
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2018 8:15 AM

DavidS:

Might be better to tag each note with first name of user.

The disadvantage to this (at this point) is that we can't auto-tag. The setup I described above allows for rapid, hassle-free highlighting that gets added to a particular notebook. At the end of the reading session (or the end of the month!) you could bulk-edit all the notes in that notebook to add the tag of your choice.

Posts 7
Bill & Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2018 10:26 AM

Reuben,

First I want to say thank you... your true compassion for my question (problem) is evident, thanks again !

With your help, I have figured out how to assign a key (U in this case) to blue-underline text with a short cut key.  However, my preference would be to do two separate things with one (or if needed two) keys.  

When I "add" a note to a notebook... I highlight the text to be added and a pop-up box appears with what looks like a "default" YellowBox, indicating a note on the original text..AND a corresponding yellow over text highlight.  My preference would be a REDbox indicating the note... but a subtle blue underline of the actual text.

Do you know of a way to make my preference My DEFAULT?  Or a 2nd alternative to define  a shortcut key to do the same)?

So far, I have not been able to find where this can be done.

Thanks for your help with this... I do appreciate your caring heart.

Bill

Posts 7
Bill & Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2018 10:33 AM

good idea, I think that might help.... will try it out, just would rather separate my wife's highlights from mine in the actual book/bible/commentary from mine... 

I guess we both could use different bibles/commentaries/etc but it would be helpful to just separate the two, which by the sounds of some of the responses is unlikely... or impossible.

Thanks for the idea

Posts 7
Bill & Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2018 10:36 AM

not funny,

not helpful

Posts 20887
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2018 10:44 AM

Bill & Gail:
Do you know of a way to make my preference My DEFAULT?

Unfortunately this is not possible at the moment.

It is item #16 on the list of Upcoming Features at https://www.logos.com/faq/notes but I'm afraid I have no information regarding timescales

Posts 22
Wayne levi Price | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2018 1:57 PM

Does anyone at the Corporate and Sales Levels know about all the complaints about the New Note System?

Many people have emailed them with NO RESPONSE.

We hate to complain, but this is HURTING our ministries and research.

I have been with you for OVER 10 Years and I have upgraded 2 times.

I have loved the program and have referred many people to it, until now.

The new NOTE System is Boken and I cannot refer anyone else nor upgrade to any new versions until the NOTES copy the links to citation Resources as it used to... This HUGE lost feature almost ruins the note system for many of us.

That was the most efficient and powerful aspect of the NOTES in my opinion.
NOW IT IS GONE and the work has become 10 times harder to do than before.

I have ALREADY contacted the programmers, but I see no improvement.

Does anyone in corporate office or the sales team care that customers you have had for over 10 years are extremely disappointed and will no longer Upgrade nor refer new customers?

I hope this gets resolved soon.

I know many others who are HURT by this so-called improvement.

Posts 2792
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2018 9:25 PM

Levi Price:

Does anyone at the Corporate and Sales Levels know about all the complaints about the New Note System?

Many people have emailed them with NO RESPONSE.

We hate to complain, but this is HURTING our ministries and research.

I have been with you for OVER 10 Years and I have upgraded 2 times.

I have loved the program and have referred many people to it, until now.

The new NOTE System is Boken and I cannot refer anyone else nor upgrade to any new versions until the NOTES copy the links to citation Resources as it used to... This HUGE lost feature almost ruins the note system for many of us.

That was the most efficient and powerful aspect of the NOTES in my opinion.
NOW IT IS GONE and the work has become 10 times harder to do than before.

I have ALREADY contacted the programmers, but I see no improvement.

Does anyone in corporate office or the sales team care that customers you have had for over 10 years are extremely disappointed and will no longer Upgrade nor refer new customers?

I hope this gets resolved soon.

I know many others who are HURT by this so-called improvement.

Yes they are aware. Yes, they HAVE addressed it here on the forums. Yes they ARE working on a whole list of things and have even made a way for people to use the old system until the new is up to their idea of a standard.

That being said, it makes no sense not to refer people because they wouldn't know what the old note system was like to not like the new system and for MANY people, myself included, we are fine with the new note system as it is while they work on reimplementing some things.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband, Lover of Baseball!

How to upload logs

Posts 22
Wayne levi Price | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 21 2018 5:29 AM

well, maybe I can still refer people to the program. I will just have to warn them that at the next UPGRADE they may have the rug pulled out from underneath them, so don't get used to any of the functions in the NOTES too much because NEXT time it may all be totally different and you may have to wait a year for them to fix it. Peace to you always. Big Smile 

Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS