Home Page

Page 8 of 9 (165 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >
This post has 164 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 2921
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2018 3:30 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Karen Green:

I just wished they would have made L8 where you could put stuff on your home page from your library, instead now it's filled with all forums and other stuff. 

Please see https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019191392-Changes-from-Logos-7-to-Logos-8#h.kuwra76she2s for announcements of what will be changing on the Logos 8 home page.

Not helpful at all- how about an "OFF" BUTTON that would be great.

Posts 20530
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2018 3:37 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

You can choose to ignore the homepage if you wish - or are you meaning something else?

Posts 1235
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2018 7:36 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

Whyndell, as it seems like L8 got it all wrong for you and we're still within the 30 day return window, have you considered returning your purchase and reinstalling L7?

Posts 204
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2018 8:03 AM

Reuben Helmuth:

Whyndell Grizzard:

Whyndell, as it seems like L8 got it all wrong for you and we're still within the 30 day return window, have you considered returning your purchase and reinstalling L7?

Unfortunately this is not a workable long term solution, in another thread Bradley has said:

I really want to emphasise this point.

Logos 8 is here to stay, and Logos 7 will be unsupported “soon” (no, I'm not giving a date, but it will be in 2019), 

Posts 4384
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2018 8:23 AM

Graham Owen:
Logos 7 will be unsupported “soon” (no, I'm not giving a date, but it will be in 2019)

However 'unsupported' does not mean 'not working' Logos 7 will go on working on your current OS and hardware indefinitely.

Posts 204
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2018 9:05 AM

Mike Binks:

Graham Owen:
Logos 7 will be unsupported “soon” (no, I'm not giving a date, but it will be in 2019)

However 'unsupported' does not mean 'not working' Logos 7 will go on working on your current OS and hardware indefinitely.

Agreed but it does inevitably carry a level of risk that needs to be assessed including the fact that in 2 years Logos 9 will be released and that will inevitably use 8 as a base, meaning those who don't upgrade now have an even steeper learning curve, plus the fact that new resources will at some point include features that are in 8 but not 7 so will either not work or have limitations.

For the committed Logos user falling behind at a software level really is not an option, it places our existing investment at risk and limits any future investment. 

Sadly so much of this could so easily have been avoided, as many of us have pointed out better communications about the change from 7 to 8 would have helped users make an informed decision on the right time to upgrade. With hindsight for me day one for the update to download was not a sensible time and it is clear that I am not the only one.

I still have no idea why Logos 8 was released as an "update" to so many unsuspecting users when there were still so many things that Faithlife knew needed fixing. Sure I've adapted my work process to accommodate 8's short comings but I have yet to see a response from Faithlife that fully acknowledges the unnecessary disruption caused by releasing and "Early Adopter" product in the guise of a finished release with an unacceptably long list of known issues.

Maybe I've missed it but to date all I've seen are a few comments about being patient, future releases and a general defence of why 8 is the future.

Posts 1235
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2018 10:16 PM

Graham Owen:
For the committed Logos user falling behind at a software level really is not an option,

There's no need to fall behind while avoiding this:

Graham Owen:
"Early Adopter" product in the guise of a finished release with an unacceptably long list of known issues.

Install L7, turn off automatic updates and wait for a few months. I know this isn't ideal but from the sentiments that have come through by a few, I think it might be a viable option for some.

Posts 12699
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2018 1:20 AM

Graham Owen:
I still have no idea why Logos 8 was released as an "update" to so many unsuspecting users when there were still so many things that Faithlife knew needed fixing.

So that those who wanted the great new features now could have it. And so that those who wanted to wait until it was more polished could wait.

I do understand the frustration from people who rely on features that aren't yet working fully in Logos 8. I get that. I really do. But I don't understand why you and a few others think it's better to make everyone wait than it is to make some people wait. Doing it this way gives us the choice. We upgrade now if we like the new features. We upgrade later if we don't or if things we rely on aren't ready yet.

I'm sorry that you feel Logos 8 isn't yet ready for you. (I mean that, really.) But it is ready enough for me, and many others. Why shouldn't Faithlife let us enjoy and benefit from that now?

Posts 204
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2018 1:18 PM

Mark Barnes:

Graham Owen:
I still have no idea why Logos 8 was released as an "update" to so many unsuspecting users when there were still so many things that Faithlife knew needed fixing.

So that those who wanted the great new features now could have it. And so that those who wanted to wait until it was more polished could wait.

I do understand the frustration from people who rely on features that aren't yet working fully in Logos 8. I get that. I really do. But I don't understand why you and a few others think it's better to make everyone wait than it is to make some people wait. Doing it this way gives us the choice. We upgrade now if we like the new features. We upgrade later if we don't or if things we rely on aren't ready yet.

I'm sorry that you feel Logos 8 isn't yet ready for you. (I mean that, really.) But it is ready enough for me, and many others. Why shouldn't Faithlife let us enjoy and benefit from that now?

I have no objection to 8 being available and used by others. 

The point I have continually made is that the communication to existing users was poor and it was delivered automatically the only warning being about Notes.

I don't want everyone else to wait I just wish that I was given the information required to make an informed decision for myself so I could have waited.

Posts 204
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2018 1:23 PM

Reuben Helmuth:

Graham Owen:
For the committed Logos user falling behind at a software level really is not an option,

There's no need to fall behind while avoiding this:

Graham Owen:
"Early Adopter" product in the guise of a finished release with an unacceptably long list of known issues.

Install L7, turn off automatic updates and wait for a few months. I know this isn't ideal but from the sentiments that have come through by a few, I think it might be a viable option for some.

So far no one from Faithlife has confirmed the best way to go back to 7 and Bradley's advice is don't do it it so not sure whether it's worth risking further disruption.

Posts 7718
LogosEmployee

Graham Owen:

The point I have continually made is that the communication to existing users was poor and it was delivered automatically the only warning being about Notes.

I don't want everyone else to wait I just wish that I was given the information required to make an informed decision for myself so I could have waited.

Phil has admitted this was a mistake and apologised for it: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/174028/1010296.aspx#1010296 

Posts 204
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2018 1:53 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Graham Owen:

Thanks Bradley 

Phil has admitted this was a mistake and apologised for it: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/174028/1010296.aspx#1010296 

Posts 23690
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2018 4:10 PM

Graham Owen:
So far no one from Faithlife has confirmed the best way to go back to 7 and Bradley's advice is don't do it it so not sure whether it's worth risking further disruption.

Best way?

1) Keep your 8 license

• You can run Logos 8 and Logos 7 on the same computer (or Verbum 8/Logos 7 if you have a Verbum license)
  • If you don't have the space:
    • Uninstall  8.
    • Delete the Logos folder
    • Install  7
    • (You can save downloading resources by using one of the Methods for Quick Installation. What OS?)
  • In 7, you will not get new books/updates that were built for 8
  • In 7, you don't get the features of 8
  • You have to guard against the 7 installation being upgraded to 8 (use command set update channel to manual).
  • You have to manually update 7 if service releases (SR) are made available
  • In 7, you can choose to use Notes tool or go back to old Notes
  • You don't lose any notes

OR

2). You revoke your L8 license and get your money back for all purchased upgrades (no subscription)

• check whether you retain a license to Notes tool, else you lose your new notes
  • uninstall 8 as above
  • install 7 (which will only update for SR's)
  • if you change your mind, it may be more expensive to return to 8

OR

3) You want to cancel your subscription!

• If not L8, can you live with the last feature set you purchased (if L4 or L5, you will regret cancelling)?
    • if you cancel, this is the same as 2) above
  • EDIT: if it was L8, can you live with the previous purchase?
    • if you keep L8  consider 1) above.

OR

4) You want to keep your subscription (because it gives you the 7 Feature set)

• See 1) above

Just ask for more specifics.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 634
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2018 6:36 PM

Without reading a bunch of pages, has Logos provided a fix to turn off their advertisements on their home page? 

Posts 6
Richard Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2018 7:23 PM

No, apparently they will be providing a fix in a later iteration of Logos 8.

Posts 2921
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 8:23 AM

Reuben Helmuth:

Whyndell Grizzard:

Yeah- but I don't think they would refund my $50k I have invested- I'm sorry if your offended- I'm concerned about a product that changed and became more unusable for me- since you didn't pay for it- you have no voice in my game- so your entitled to your opinion- that's great- now you have mine.

Posts 17455
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2018 11:38 AM

Into Grace:

Without reading a bunch of pages, has Logos provided a fix to turn off their advertisements on their home page? 

Logos Wiki has => Logos 8 Beta Program information + risks (could join public Beta testing for 8.1 followed by changing update channel to default for future stable releases)

Logos 8.1 Beta 4 Home Page example with "Pre-Pubs" and "Community Pricing" unchecked: (Logos 8.1 Beta 3 on 19 Nov 2018 added Home Page Explore customization)

Uninformed user speculation for Logos 8.1 Stable release is Mon 10 Dec 2018: if Logos 7 pattern of 4 Beta releases is followed by Release Candidate(s).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 25143
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2018 2:21 PM

Mark Barnes:

Graham Owen:
So it sounds like no grand plan was outlined during the Beta.

Despite what Doc seems to think, beta testers aren't "yes men".

If anyone thinks I was happy about the loss of function in lectionaries and saints, they obviously have not read anything I posted. 

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2740
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2018 3:41 PM

MJ. Smith:
If anyone thinks I was happy about the loss of function in lectionaries and saints, they obviously have not read anything I posted. 

You most definitely were not! Wink

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband, Lover of Baseball!

How to upload logs

Page 8 of 9 (165 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > | RSS