Logos 8 Features

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 1659
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 11:52 PM

GaoLu:

My opinion is that every single resource should have capability for a few bookmarks.  For example, sometimes my wife and I are both reading the same book at the same time.  Other times I want to reference a few locations all in a big hurry.  Better Bookmarks would do that.

We have a spec for bringing Favorites (and History, too) into the left sidebar of resources as a new tab, similar to what we do on mobile. Would that meet your needs?

Posts 76
Al Sosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 4:35 AM

Hello Phil,
Having some kind way to bookmark the several resources I sometimes have open, within the resource would help, of course. My point is that in today's technology in software development, and in book platforms, bookmarks (within the resource), should be an elementary capability of the software platform. What is a book platform without bookmarks?

Like a cheese burger without the cheese...!!

OK, that said, what do you mean by "a spec for bringing Favorites (and History) into the left sidebar or resources as a new tab"...?

Is this part of an upgrade for L8?

In case you wonder why the issue with me with bookmarks, I sometimes have 10 to 20 books open. Nine bookmarks don't make it for me. Sometimes I have the same book open in different places, for research. Then I have to jump windows. Nine bookmarks is not an answered prayer!!

Let's get the cheese in the cheese-burger, and book marks for books. 

Thank you.
Al

Posts 76
Al Sosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 4:40 AM

Exactly... 

Thanks 

Posts 5
Joe Griffin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 4:49 AM

I agree there are just too many for me and I look forward to being able to customize my desktop to view what I choose and not what FL wants me to see. Currently there are too many overlaping tiles with repeated ads and links (advertising) and I feel like I will never get to the bottom of it. I love everything else though. 

Posts 1893
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 5:27 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

GaoLu:

My opinion is that every single resource should have capability for a few bookmarks.  For example, sometimes my wife and I are both reading the same book at the same time.  Other times I want to reference a few locations all in a big hurry.  Better Bookmarks would do that.

We have a spec for bringing Favorites (and History, too) into the left sidebar of resources as a new tab, similar to what we do on mobile. Would that meet your needs?

That is great news and would be helpful. I may not be visualizing the full potential of what Favorites and History could do, but imagine these limitations:

1. Favorites would have to be arranged by Book into folders and that would quickly become immense.  Bookmarks within a resource would prevent the necessity o having 100's or even 1000's of Folders with bookmarks to wade through. Open a book and voila!  Internal bookmarks can be accessed. Favorites are still needed. I have a lot of those!

2. History - I sometimes use another phone app that has a good history system.  I carefully open all the locations I will want for teaching and then they show up in recent history,  It works...but, is a pretty hokey way to get the job done.  

Summary:  From what I know of Favorites and History, they will replace internal bookmarks.  But I sure would be happy to give it a try.  I like what you are suggesting and it should be a good step.

Posts 1893
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 5:33 AM

[Edit of above--READ THIS INSTEAD:  Sorry for this, But I have recently been unable to edit my posts and am prone to initial errors]

That is great news and would be helpful. I may not be visualizing the full potential of what Favorites and History could do, but imagine these limitations:

1. Favorites would have to be arranged by Book into folders and that would quickly become immense.  Bookmarks within a resource would prevent the necessity of having 100's of Folders with bookmarks to wade through. With Bookmarks, open a book and voila!  Internal bookmarks can be accessed. 

2. History - I sometimes use another phone app that has a good history system.  I carefully open all the locations I will want for teaching and then they show up in recent history,  It works...but, is a pretty hokey way to get the job done.  

Summary:  From what I know of Favorites and History, they will not replace internal bookmarks.  But I sure would be happy to give it a try.  I like what you are suggesting and it should be a good step, but I don't think it would replace internal Bookmarks.

Posts 1235
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 6:08 AM

Al Sosa:
what do you mean by "a spec for bringing Favorites (and History) into the left sidebar or resources as a new tab"

a "spec" is (more or less) a set of mockups of how something would look along with descriptions of how it would work. This spec was done for L8 but time didn't allow for getting it done.

Take away: it was planned but not promised. It's still not promised, but...!

Posts 76
Al Sosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 7:28 AM

That's OK, I've only been waiting for 25 years...
When Jesus returns, maybe Logos might consider it. But... too late... 

Really... I don't see the problem with adding a feature like bookmarks within every resource.
If Kindle can do it, why not Logos?

Thanks.

Al

Posts 6
jedi008 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 12:42 PM

Will separate (or not included) workflows be available to purchase without having to buy a whole new package?  I like the inductive workflow that came with the version I upgraded to and I would like the expository one as well.

Posts 3960
Forum MVP
Fredc | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 3:11 PM

jedi008:

Will separate (or not included) workflows be available to purchase without having to buy a whole new package?  I like the inductive workflow that came with the version I upgraded to and I would like the expository one as well.

You should have a workflow titled "Expository Sermon Preparation" in the workflows menu. Also keep in mind that you can create your own custom workflows. 

Posts 20530
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 3:16 PM

Fredc:

jedi008:

You should have a workflow titled "Expository Sermon Preparation" in the workflows menu. Also keep in mind that you can create your own custom workflows. 

Fred, the Expository Sermon Preparation workflow requires either the Full Feature upgrade or a Faithlife Connect subscription so may not be available to jedi008. 

Posts 121
Jerome Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 9:15 AM

Rather than use bookmarks (which are too few to be useful), I use Layouts to keep track of my reading progress and update the layout when I pause my reading. I have even made more than one layout for the same resource at times. It is very easy to access layouts by just one click or so. I carefully label each layout so I can easily find the resource on my list.

Posts 1235
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 9:42 AM

Jerome Smith:

Rather than use bookmarks (which are too few to be useful), I use Layouts to keep track of my reading progress and update the layout when I pause my reading. I have even made more than one layout for the same resource at times. It is very easy to access layouts by just one click or so. I carefully label each layout so I can easily find the resource on my list.

Glad to hear you have a method that you're happy with. It did remind me of using a big truck to pull a radio-flyer wagon. 😉

Posts 4584
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 9:50 AM

The way FL handles bookmarks in Logos reminds me of having a party of a hundred people with only eight forks...a person takes a bite of food and has to surrender the fork so that it can be cleaned up and assigned to someone else so they can take a bite of food, and...you get the picture. Roll Eyes

Hmm

Posts 644
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 11:12 AM

David Paul:

The way FL handles bookmarks in Logos reminds me of having a party of a hundred people with only eight forks...a person takes a bite of food and has to surrender the fork so that it can be cleaned up and assigned to someone else so they can take a bite of food, and...you get the picture. Roll Eyes

Hmm

This got me laughing!

Posts 1
Carl Smalls | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 5:25 AM

I just upgraded to Logos 8 and I thought I was going to get the privilege of using the new features but the workflows are not available.  I was wondering when will they be available.  

Posts 2740
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 5:31 AM

Carl Smalls:

I just upgraded to Logos 8 and I thought I was going to get the privilege of using the new features but the workflows are not available.  I was wondering when will they be available.  

Which upgrade did you purchase and did you also get a feature set with it or are you a subscriber?

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband, Lover of Baseball!

How to upload logs

Posts 23690
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2018 7:17 AM

Carl Smalls:

Workflows are found in the Guides menu

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 78
Larry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2018 5:29 AM

Al Sosa:
How about:
    Right Click
    Add Bookmark (within the book resource or any resource).

Any plans for something like this? With 9 bookmarks, I don't always remember which one I am reading. So I have to go look at which one to save it to, then go back and save it. It would be much easier and more intuitive to simply bookmark from within the book. 

A right click or perhaps a button to the bar beside the visual filters and parallel resources. Make it so we can just click to bookmark.

Posts 23690
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2018 3:09 PM

Larry:
Any plans for something like this? With 9 bookmarks, I don't always remember which one I am reading. So I have to go look at which one to save it to, then go back and save it.

Keep Favorites in your layout, and just drag the book's tab into Favorites. You can create folders for different types of 'bookmarks', and drag it into a folder.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS