Logos 8 Features

Page 5 of 5 (86 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 85 Replies | 16 Followers

Posts 291
Andrew Biddinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 14 2019 8:45 AM

MJ. Smith:

Kytriya:
Incidentally, this mostly Christian refusal to learn key aspects of Jewish culture, caused them to 100% fail to realise that Yeshayahu (Isaiah in Hebrew) literally means Yeshua-Jesus is Yahweh-Jehovah-Lord. However, let it be known that nearly 100% of the Jews missed it too! In Jewish culture, they teach that we aren't holy enough to say His name properly, why it is "yahu" and not "Yehovah". I believe that its the same with "Yesha" and why Isaiah didn't write his name "Yeshuayahu".  Its only a small handful of Messianic Jews and perhaps, a tiny amount of Christian scholars who caught the translation error (Salvation is Lord). I would never call Ms. Mayim  "Hey water!" Mayim means water, yes. But she is called Mayim. Likewise, I never say "Dear salvation, please forgive me."  ;) 

The forums exist to discuss FL products and their use, not to promote anyone's theology or to speculate on what "100%" of any group knows or does not know. Just a gentle reminder to read the guidelines (see upper right of forum's home page) which are often not seen.

Technically, it is not a "discuss[ion] or debate" until someone joins in to debate or discuss it. It takes two to tango. Wink I doubt that Phil is banning any take of God on this forum. It would be impossible to utilize this forum without doing that.

Posts 291
Andrew Biddinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 14 2019 8:55 AM

Andrew Biddinger:
take

talk

Posts 13
Kytriya | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 14 2019 2:27 PM

Thank you for that screen shot! It is very helpful for me. 

As far as "edit" it wasn't working for me. I got an error of some sort. 

As far as "theology etc. off-topic discussion". What I am discussing is what is avialabel for the software in the free section versus what isn't and how numbers in people groups do matter and have effects on whats available. I'm not capable of "minimalism" speech. I tried! I never posted in the forum until this year becuase I am not capable of talking "righteously correctly" like everyone else. I've got serious brain damage, PTSD and no one really needs to care!  

However, next March I do hope I can start buying $20 plus tax of books every month! I am also hoping my sister is going to finally start paying her share of the expenses of utilities and other fees for living with me. I was supposed to be able to do that this year, but my sister only recently finally found a job. So, there  you go. 

BTW, I did post in the other forum that I forgot about something extremely obvious - you need x number of orders before a product will cause you to break out even on the cost of the product. I do know some things, but here, I missed the boat and shouldn't have. Sorry!

Thanks everyone!

Posts 26027
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 14 2019 10:21 PM

Kytriya:
As far as "theology etc. off-topic discussion". What I am discussing is what is avialabel for the software in the free section versus what isn't and how numbers in people groups do matter and have effects on whats available. I'm not capable of "minimalism" speech. I tried! I never posted in the forum until this year becuase I am not capable of talking "righteously correctly" like everyone else. I've got serious brain damage, PTSD and no one really needs to care!  

Thank you for letting us know. The forums have made allowance in the past for a person with brain damage from a stroke (an Anabaptist for those who may remember), we will gladly make allowance for you. Please feel free to post and make yourself known on the forums ... we can help you get the most out of what you can do with the resources you have.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26027
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 14 2019 10:34 PM

Andrew Biddinger:
Technically, it is not a "discuss[ion] or debate" until someone joins in to debate or discuss it. It takes two to tango. Wink

I am very glad I did question the appropriateness of the "unsubstantiated tirade" - deliberately exaggerating. I now know that this is a forum user who legitimately needs to be given some slack. I know that I should not read the absolutes as absolutes but should place them among the quirks of language use. And that I need to be prepared to come to their defense, if necessary.

Just to be picky for your amusement, the definition of discussion does not require interaction with a second person - see second bullet below.

the action or process of talking about something in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas. "the proposals are not a blueprint but ideas for discussion"
  • a conversation or debate about a certain topic.
  • a detailed treatment of a particular topic in speech or writing.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 291
Andrew Biddinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 17 2019 6:26 AM

MJ. Smith:

I am very glad I did question the appropriateness of the "unsubstantiated tirade" - deliberately exaggerating. I now know that this is a forum user who legitimately needs to be given some slack. I know that I should not read the absolutes as absolutes but should place them among the quirks of language use. And that I need to be prepared to come to their defense, if necessary.

Just to be picky for your amusement, the definition of discussion does not require interaction with a second person - see second bullet below.

the action or process of talking about something in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas. "the proposals are not a blueprint but ideas for discussion"

• a conversation or debate about a certain topic.
  • a detailed treatment of a particular topic in speech or writing.

Good point. One can have a discussion with him/herself or a figurative person in their mind ...etc. Also, I think you are right in bringing up the idea of not interpreting the guidelines in the absolute sense. I could be wrong, but I believe that Phil is referring to a discussion in the formal sense as in a debate on a theological issue. I've seen users that seem to post to incite this kind of thing or just to "preach" on the forum. However, I have also seen posts recently that get the forum guidelines thrown at them where this didn't seem the case. So, my main point is that Christians posting on a Bible Software forum will inevitably need to "discuss" Theology (ie..talk about their beliefs in God) and should be able to do so as they are posting about FL's software. There is a need for those who would disagree with someones beleifs to restrain from starting debates (besides someone "preaching," this is how most debates I've seen on this forum has started). However, I admit that there is some gray area here and need for grace. Thanks for responding.

Page 5 of 5 (86 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS