How can I go back to Logos 7?

Page 2 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 68 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 754
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2018 7:06 PM

Two constructive suggestions if you don't like the new homepage look:

• "Show Program Settings" in the command bar, then under General / At Startup Open to, you can select a specific layout, or your most recent one.
  • MJ cleverly suggested here that you can fill up the dashboard section with cards that are important to you, which will push the Explore section down (if that's what you don't want to see).

I'll admit that i've bypassed the home page since Logos 4: it was too busy and not useful enough (don't tell my boss!). But i'm giving it another try: I find the redesign around task cards genuinely useful. But you don't have to look at them if you have a different opinion.

Posts 986
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 1:52 AM

I'm with Sean, I haven't used the homepage in a long time. I load most recent layout. I think the value proposition is also linked to the colour and font. If you work on a mac then the darker themes have become the visual signal of a professional app. I look forward to Logos dark mode! I already swapped out the fonts for SBL biblit and open sans, loose spacing, dark grey background.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 236
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 4:11 AM

Three negatives so far:

1) Home page is pretty bad. No way to clear out the junk and just peruse ONLY items that interest me. Cannot find out how to choose default Bible.

2)Clicking on Daily Bible reading plan jumps to a new layout rather than opening my Bible in my preferred layout to the correct readings.

3) Corresponding highlights from one translation to another is gone.

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Posts 3013
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 4:58 AM

John C Connell Jr.:

Three negatives so far:

1) Home page is pretty bad. No way to clear out the junk and just peruse ONLY items that interest me. Cannot find out how to choose default Bible.

2)Clicking on Daily Bible reading plan jumps to a new layout rather than opening my Bible in my preferred layout to the correct readings.

All three of these things are being addressed with the exception of maybe default Bible. For that, you can prioritize it in your library. https://wiki.logos.com/prioritizing

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 236
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 11:20 AM

Thanks for the reply David. The most irritating is the Bible Reading plan glitch. my layouts feature larger font and the default layout for reading a Bible Reading Plan has tiny font. It will be good to get control again.

Also, I really need to be in control of the default Bible and be able to change that.  Prioritization works differently. The default works across platforms and had ramifications downstream.

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Posts 3013
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 11:37 AM

John C Connell Jr.:

Thanks for the reply David. The most irritating is the Bible Reading plan glitch. my layouts feature larger font and the default layout for reading a Bible Reading Plan has tiny font. It will be good to get control again.

Also, I really need to be in control of the default Bible and be able to change that.  Prioritization works differently. The default works across platforms and had ramifications downstream.

Perhaps I am confused, but how does prioritize do anything different than the default Bible? Prioritization is how you set your preferred (default) resources...

How to upload logs

Posts 228
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 11:51 AM

David Taylor Jr:

John C Connell Jr.:

Three negatives so far:

All three of these things are being addressed with the exception of maybe default Bible. For that, you can prioritize it in your library. https://wiki.logos.com/prioritizing

Can someone from Logos please confirm that these three items will be fixed in the next update 8.1?

Posts 228
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 11:56 AM

David Taylor Jr:

Perhaps I am confused, but how does prioritize do anything different than the default Bible? Prioritization is how you set your preferred (default) resources...

The point that I think you are missing David is that prioritisation is seen as a more advanced feature whereas the Preferred/Default Bible was a very basic and easy to use. I suspect that many long term users rarely used the prioritisation feature while everyone would have set the Preferred/Default Bible at least once.

Posts 228
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 12:01 PM

Lynden Williams:

Uninstall eight and down load seven. You may have to ask logos to block your account from receiving 8 until you are ready for it, otherwise it will simply update 

Has anyone confirmed that this approach would work for someone who wants to go back to 7 while the initial flaws in 8 are fixed?

Obvious issues I can think of are:

• Notes format has been updated
  • Automatic updates probably needs to be turned off
  • Other changes in the data that is synched
Posts 3013
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 12:07 PM

Graham Owen:

David Taylor Jr:

The point that I think you are missing David is that prioritisation is seen as a more advanced feature whereas the Preferred/Default Bible was a very basic and easy to use. I suspect that many long term users rarely used the prioritisation feature while everyone would have set the Preferred/Default Bible at least once.

I actually disagree. Prioritization has been in the getting started with logos videos since at least L5. It is one of the first things a new user of Logos should learn if they actually use the getting started tutorials. It's also early on in the help file.  So I would hardly say that prioritization itself is an advanced feature. Now, there are strategies for prioritization that are advanced, but not prioritizing resources themselves.

How to upload logs

Posts 3076
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 12:10 PM

YesYesCrying

mm.

David Taylor Jr:

doc:

I have to agree L8 home page is awful. Never liked the web app and now the desktop homepage looks awful too, it no longer looks like  professional bible study software package but instead one for children. Added to the fact it’s incompete and we are being told we have to wait for a future update before we can remove all the marketing fluff from it, it does not give a good first chance impression of the software.

Honestly, if that is what you are judging all of L8 on I think you have severely missed the point. It's going to be fixed. It isn't fixed today. No sense going on and on about it, just move on.

mm.

Posts 228
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 12:26 PM

David Taylor Jr:

Graham Owen:

David Taylor Jr:

I actually disagree. Prioritization has been in the getting started with logos videos since at least L5. It is one of the first things a new user of Logos should learn if they actually use the getting started tutorials. It's also early on in the help file.  So I would hardly say that prioritization itself is an advanced feature. Now, there are strategies for prioritization that are advanced, but not prioritizing resources themselves.

Problem here David is you are not seeing the issues from the perspective of the people asking the questions.

You can't assume that everyone watched the videos, you can't assume that because a feature has been available for a long time it is widely used and/or understood. You can't assume that because it's OK fro you its OK for other users. There have been a number of valid issues raised which Faithlife need to respond to.

The point about prioritisation is that the software does not require you to make changes for it to function effectively. The Preferred/Default Bible has been front and centre for a long time.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 12:34 PM

I think David wants this thread to stay on top, Logos7 is so good!

Actually, my question would be whether L8 is a forced install.  On L7, you can decline installation.  I'd buy the large package, as long as I could use L7 (I have my doubts about the timing of 8.1).

Posts 26530
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 1:20 PM

Denise:
Actually, my question would be whether L8 is a forced install.  On L7, you can decline installation.  I'd buy the large package, as long as I could use L7 (I have my doubts about the timing of 8.1).

Yes, you can decline installation but for once I think your doubts are entirely unfounded. You have no need of the home page. Simply set to open to a blank page or your most common layout and you'll bypass most everything people are complaining about.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 1:26 PM

MJ. Smith:
Simply set to open to a blank page or your most common layout and you'll bypass most everything people are complaining about.

I've never found the homepage that useful (except when it used to give a list of what was recently added or updated--seems like that feature disappeared), so yeah, just skip it and do some Bible study.

Posts 8016
LogosEmployee

Graham Owen:

David Taylor Jr:

John C Connell Jr.:

Three negatives so far:

Can someone from Logos please confirm that these three items will be fixed in the next update 8.1?

1. "Customization of the Explore section is coming soon." https://community.logos.com/forums/p/173890/1003981.aspx#1003981 
  2. This is being discussed internally; no plans have been announced yet.
  3. Under "Upcoming Features" in the Notes FAQ; no release date announced.
Posts 56
Joel Ingram | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 1:52 PM

While it is possible to climb around the Home Page, (and yes, do it once an be done), it is a bit odd that a Home Page, that thing by title that has the idea (at least for me) as being a comfortable, useful and effective starting place.... is, as created one of the first things many users find objectionable. Maybe it has outlived its usefulness...or... maybe it's potential usefulness has been lost sight of.

Just thoughts...

Posts 8016
LogosEmployee

Graham Owen:

David Taylor Jr:

Are you complaining about this for yourself (because you used that home page tool very frequently and now miss it; if so, why are you changing preferred Bible so often? Can you help us understand your use case), or are you complaining on behalf of other (theoretical) users?

We knew this was not on the home page when we launched 8.0. We also knew that most people buying Logos 8 were already Logos 7 customers and had already set their preferred Bible

We have plans to make setting your preferred Bible easier in a future release. This may not involve the home page.

Posts 228
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 1:55 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Graham Owen:

David Taylor Jr:

John C Connell Jr.:

Three negatives so far:

1. "Customization of the Explore section is coming soon." https://community.logos.com/forums/p/173890/1003981.aspx#1003981 
  2. This is being discussed internally; no plans have been announced yet.
  3. Under "Upcoming Features" in the Notes FAQ; no release date announced.

Thanks Bradley

For item 2 here I'd love to know the rationale for the current behaviour because it really makes no sense to me.

Posts 17963
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2018 2:06 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
Can you help us understand your use case)

Personal use case for many advanced Bible prioritizations allows cross reference in a Bible translation to pop-up with that translation's text (instead of preferred Bible).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS