Logos Library is Amazing, Mobile use is not.

Page 3 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 52 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 71
Samuel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 12:35 PM

Daniel Di Bartolo:

What aspects of the L8 mobile app can we improve?  How can we make it better for you?

I can't believe I forgot this in my other post, but keyboard shortcuts for everything would be a huge help. While I would have never guessed this a few years ago, power users on the iPad are working as much as possible via keyboard shortcuts. Many of the best apps on iPad have very robust keyboard shortcuts which eliminate the need to touch the screen very much. While it seems counterintuitive it really makes the iPad an excellent productivity platform. 

Posts 40
Nicholas Knisely | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2018 4:48 AM

+1 for this idea. Keyboard shortcuts are key to serious iPad use.

Posts 6
David Starchman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2018 5:53 AM

Please see my post here for the bugs reported: L8 iOS BUG (scrolling, highlighting) HOW TO REPRODUCE - DEV TEAM please read!!!

Posts 71
Samuel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2018 9:57 AM

Daniel Di Bartolo:

What aspects of the L8 mobile app can we improve?  How can we make it better for you?

Let me add just a bit to this-it's key to be able to integrate Logos on the iPad to easily share information with other apps. For example, I mentioned copy bible verses. I desperately need a feature like this. Ideally also exposed through Siri Shortcuts so I can integrate it into workflows with other apps I use for writing and research. Also, the ability to get a proper citation when I copy a quote out of a book like you do on Logos desktop. Finally, the ability to export out information. For example, when I'm working on a project, I frequently export a search to csv format and pull it into Numbers and create a proper spreadsheet to do analysis on that set of verses. On iOS I don't have any way to share information and get it into a spreadsheet or doc for further analysis or as part of a bigger project. 

If we had the ability to easily share data out of iOS as on desktop that would be a big help. Right now the core apps I use are pretty much fully functional on iOS and it would be a big help to my workflow for logos to be fully functional and by that I do not mean every function that's on desktop, but a reasonable core functionality that works off and online.

Thanks for listening!

Posts 455
Bob Deacon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2018 10:43 AM

“It is very close to being unusable. 

I try to highlight and it takes three or four times to get that done. If I try to move on after it fails to highlight  then it crashes the app.“

While myapp has has yet to crash ALL other aspects mentioned here apply to my situation as well.

Bib

Bob Deacon

Dell Inspiron, Windows 10 Creator Edition (not used much)

MacBook Air (2017) with Mojave (preferred)

Ipad Air 2 (ios 12.1.1)

Iphone 6S (ios 12.1.1)

Posts 725
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 25 2018 2:40 PM

Samuel:

Daniel Di Bartolo:

I can't believe I forgot this in my other post, but keyboard shortcuts for everything would be a huge help. While I would have never guessed this a few years ago, power users on the iPad are working as much as possible via keyboard shortcuts. Many of the best apps on iPad have very robust keyboard shortcuts which eliminate the need to touch the screen very much. While it seems counterintuitive it really makes the iPad an excellent productivity platform.

This is very important to iPad users!

Posts 39
Bob Price | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 25 2018 7:39 PM

Hi Daniel!  While I would happily take as much functionality as it's possible to provide, the main thing I wish for right now is just for the books I've downloaded to be accessible if I lose my internet connectivity.  As it is, the mobile app basically stops working if I can't stay connected to the internet.  The wifi at my church is spotty sometimes, and when that happens, I can't use the Logos app at all, even to use a Bible that I've downloaded.  I thought the point of downloading resources was so that they would be available offline.  If this is not true, is there any point to downloading them?  

I'm a huge fan of all things Logos, but I hope that the mobile app can be improved to at least provide minimal functionality when offline.  Thank you and the whole Logos team for the fantastic things you do!

Bob

Posts 72
Dale Garman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2018 3:22 PM

This is without doubt the worst aspect of the system.  It has been brought up over and over.  The earlier comments were "what do you expect from a free product".  I think they have been extremely slow to recognize that mobile is the product for many people.  I guessing the architecture doesn't take that into account and so it is a difficult thing to solve.

Posts 42
Stuart S | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2018 6:03 AM

Ditto on the errors Mattillo reports!

Posts 42
Stuart S | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2018 6:08 AM

André Kamphuis:

On my iOS device, it is very difficult to select any text close to a hyperlinked Scripture Reference (either in the line above or underneath). It usually opens the long-press options menu for Scripture references, even though I long-pressed on some text in a different line. This really hinders smooth highlighting. 

Ditto

Posts 7
James Neuendorf | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2018 6:39 AM

Ditto on the factbook and the person place and thing tagging. I would like to see these limited things available offline, although I do recognize that the mobile version won't ever be the workhorse of the pc/mac version. That doesn't seem like the niche mobile is about. 

Here is another simple way to help satisfy some of this need however, based on the unique strengths and uses of mobile, if it could be implemented into the desktop or web version:

I created my own custom guide for the desktop version that runs a series of searches on a pretty sophisticated list of resources. I absolutely LOVE my custom guide, but once it has done its work, all I have to do is start wading through READING everything I found. If there were a way to export the contents of the guide on the desktop as a "reader's edition" so that it were essentially a downloadable printout of everything I check off the guide that I want to read, I would then be happy to open that on mobile and start working through it, offline. 

This would basically hot-stitch together my dictionaries (only the entries relevant to the guide) and commentaries, church father readings, etc into a binder which I could then work through. Bonus points if I can add notes to the reader and they actually record back to the original resources, as currently I do something like this by exporting to a Word file and assembling it quickly into an epub which I open up on a kindle, but notes are out of the ecosystem of logos and can't be easily added back in. I know I can "print" the guide, but this only shows the short forms and doesn't actually pull the relevant chapters from the resources themselves. 

Let me spend 15 minutes in front of my glowing computer in my office, and 4 hours with my mobile edition at the beach; as this tends to be the way I am already using the mobile app. The desktop version is powerful, but the fact is that you don't read long books on a computer as well as on a tablet (e-ink especially). 

Posts 20556
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2018 6:45 AM

James Neuendorf:
I created my own custom guide for the desktop version that runs a series of searches on a pretty sophisticated list of resources. I absolutely LOVE my custom guide, but once it has done its work, all I have to do is start wading through READING everything I found. If there were a way to export the contents of the guide on the desktop as a "reader's edition" so that it were essentially a downloadable printout of everything I check off the guide that I want to read, I would then be happy to open that on mobile and start working through it, offline. 

You could get close to this - not exactly as you describe - by using Favorites. Set up a Favorites folder in the desktop app and drag the starting point of the articles you are interested in to it. Do this for all of the articles your guide returns. Favorites get synced to your mobile device and so you could access all the resources by going through the various items in your Favorites folder. What this doesn't do is limit the resource to just the article you are interested in - it would give you the starting points.

I don't want to go into more details here - it would divert the thread too much - but more details on use of Favorites are at https://wiki.logos.com/Favorites. If you want to explore this further please start a new thread in the Logos 8 forum.

Posts 5
Tong Shin Kai Clarence | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2018 9:36 PM

I agree that the highlight function could use some work. Whenever i try to highlight it takes a number of times to get it done. Also, it takes you to a page where you need to select the colour. This takes much valuable time just to highlight text. Perhaps the app could use default highlight colours first then allow the user to change the colour if its needed later on.

The mobile search functions are also very limited, personally i would hope to see more porting of desktop searches to the mobile platform so that the mobile users would be able to benefit more from the app.

I am open to paying a small sum for the mobile app if needed to improve the funcitonality to make it more on par with the desktop version.

Page 3 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS