I could use some help with Notes please

Page 2 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 71 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 807
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 4:21 PM

Graham Criddle:

Cynthia in Florida:
If the resource that I attached my note to was a Bible verse/passage, Logos tags that specific book of the Bible and that's my third filter option on my sidebar entitled Bible Book. 

Yes - but the resource doesn't need to be a Bible. It needs to be a resource that has been built with Bible references. So, for example, if you have made a note in a Commentary against some analysis on a particular verse this may well create an entry in this filter.

So in the example below I have selected the biblical book of Genesis and, as you can see, some of the notes I have were made on the NAC commentary on that biblical book.

Ahhh...good to know!  Thanks!

Graham Criddle:

Cynthia in Florida:
Okay, this is still a little fuzzy for me, from what I can tell, Notebooks serve two purposes: To create visual filters and to organize notes. 

They are used to organise notes and can be used as visual filters - I wouldn't actually say they "create" visual filters (but that may be a distinction without a difference!).

I'm a little bit confused here because I think that was what David said above.  I could have misunderstood him.  Can you explain the distinction for me?

Graham Criddle:

Cynthia in Florida:
Where it's confusing is if I don't choose "highlight" or "note" FIRST under the side panel option: type when I'm looking at my notebooks because without doing so, all my highlighter pens and inductive Bible study markings/icons are in the same pane as my actual notes in the notebook column. . Therefore, when in notes, it really is best to immediately click "notes" under the type option on the side bar so as to actually SEE my notebooks with NOTES and not my highlight filters. (Whew...I just have to say that's a bit messed up and should be addressed by Logos!)

Can you expand on why that is confusing please?

I think what is confusing is this.  When you first open the notes tool, whether you want to write a note or search a note, the notes are mixed in with the highlights, so if you don't realize that highlights is PART OF the notes tool, (which I didn't), then you don't realize how important it is to make sure to choose whether you are searching a highlight or a note.  For someone like me, who has all her inductive Bible study icons and highlights there, I couldn't understand what all my "filters" were doing there.  I thought notes was notes...PERIOD.  It confused me that highlights were there, so when searching for a note, it really is best to choose NOTES right off the bat.  That way, when I get down to my notebooks (which have all my inductive Bible study visual filters there...and there are a lot!), all those icon filters are gone and I'm simply searching or viewing my notes.  Clear as mud, right?!

Regarding Phil's point, thank you.  That does make sense to me.

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 807
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 4:27 PM

You know what I just thought?  Maybe my problem is the lines are actually blurry between visual filters and highlights!  Thoughts?

Cynthia

Posts 807
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 4:33 PM

scooter:

Thank you, Cynthia, for starting this thread.  I am praying for the questions and replies, including your positive persistence, and people helping you [and thus us].

Thanks Scooter!  I missed your response.  I appreciate your prayer and hope my prompts in this thread help somehow.  Feel free to chime in! :)

Cynthia

Posts 3105
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 4:34 PM

Not impressed with the notes function. Word and One Note are working just fine, I'll stick with them.

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 4:46 PM

Cynthia in Florida:
Feel free to chime in

I do not know enough about enough to ask questions.  I have to play with new notes + read this thread.  I engage in some certain amount of magical thinking, whereby I believe I can learn to swim by thinking about water, and so I ride as a caboose here.

I had reduced my highlighting to coloring 1 letter to rep the rest of the sentence.  3 syllables rep the para.  Hence my notes will be impossible to sort.

Today, I started underlining whole sentences + para.  And so, follow along here.

Posts 807
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 4:50 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:

Not impressed with the notes function. Word and One Note are working just fine, I'll stick with them.

If you don't mind me asking, then how do you connect them to your resources?

Cynthia

Posts 807
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 4:52 PM

scooter:

Cynthia in Florida:
Feel free to chime in

I do not know enough about enough to ask questions.  I have to play with new notes + read this thread.  I engage in some certain amount of magical thinking, whereby I believe I can learn to swim by thinking about water, and so I ride as a caboose here.

I had reduced my highlighting to coloring 1 letter to rep the rest of the sentence.  3 syllables rep the para.  Hence my notes will be impossible to sort.

Today, I started underlining whole sentences + para.  And so, follow along here.

Scooter:  That's funny..."learn to swim by thinking about water." LOL

Well, I think something I'm learning here is that my notes, as I have them now, seem to need a major overhaul.  However, I've decided NOT to focus on that and instead, make sure I get it right moving forward.  We can always start today, right?! :)

Cynthia

Posts 40
Karl Fritz | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 4:55 PM

I used to rely on Evernote myself (which I assume works very similarly to OneNote), but I think the new notes system is like having Evernote built into Logos.  Before Logos 8, I never used the notes function because it didn't compare with the functionality of Evernote, but that has changed big time.  Evernote is going to start collecting digital dust now.

Posts 3105
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 5:27 PM

Cynthia in Florida:

Whyndell Grizzard:

If you don't mind me asking, then how do you connect them to your resources?

using links created in Logos

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 5:53 PM

Cynthia in Florida:
Well, I think something I'm learning here is that my notes, as I have them now, seem to need a major overhaul.  However, I've decided NOT to focus on that and instead, make sure I get it right moving forward.  We can always start today, right?! :)

Yeah, forward is the right way.  To overhaul past notes doesn't move our knowing God forward.  I checked: I have 160,000 of them.  To overhaul them...well, no.

Posts 2775
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 6:03 PM

Cynthia in Florida:
Maybe my problem is the lines are actually blurry between visual filters and highlights!  Thoughts?

Here's how I conceive of these tools...maybe it will help you-

Highlights (HL) and Visual Filters (VF) are both simply highlights.

HL are made by you, manually. VF are made by the machine according to a rule. You might write the rule, or a command you execute in Logos might write the rule. But once the rule runs, it simply makes highlights. And when you highlight something yourself, you can only highlight what you see.  But a VF can highlight something according to what is hidden (called 'metadata').

(This is conceptual and not intended to describe how Logos handles the data in VF).

If this isn't helpful, just move along.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 807
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 6:24 PM

Doc B:

Cynthia in Florida:
Maybe my problem is the lines are actually blurry between visual filters and highlights!  Thoughts?

Here's how I conceive of these tools...maybe it will help you-

HL are made by you, manually. VF are made by the machine according to a rule. You might write the rule, or a command you execute in Logos might write the rule. But once the rule runs, it simply makes highlights. And when you highlight something yourself, you can only highlight what you see.  But a VF can highlight something according to what is hidden (called 'metadata').

(This is conceptual and not intended to describe how Logos handles the data in VF).

If this isn't helpful, just move along.

Actually, that IS helpful!

Cynthia

Posts 7923
LogosEmployee

Doc B:

HL are made by you, manually. VF are made by the machine according to a rule.

FWIW, we're considering renaming “Visual Filter (documents)” to “Automatic Highlights” in a future version, to make this clearer.

Posts 241
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 10:37 PM

Thanks all, this thread has been immensely helpful in figuring out the new notes system. One thing I'm thinking through is how I might handle organizing a larger research project. Let's say I am doing a study on a broad topic such as sanctification. I imagine I would have at least one related passage list, lots of clippings and perhaps some documents I create as well (as other file types I haven't worked with enough to grasp their value!). What would be a good strategy for bringing this all together? Would I create a notebook to store all these files and results? Would I just use tagging for the project name? Looking for some basic usage ideas on getting the most from the new system.

Posts 21639
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 11:50 PM

Cynthia in Florida:

Cynthia in Florida:
Okay, this is still a little fuzzy for me, from what I can tell, Notebooks serve two purposes: To create visual filters and to organize notes. 

They are used to organise notes and can be used as visual filters - I wouldn't actually say they "create" visual filters (but that may be a distinction without a difference!).

I'm a little bit confused here because I think that was what David said above.  I could have misunderstood him.  Can you explain the distinction for me?

Maybe I am being a bit too pedantic - and maybe I am wrong as well!

But what I was trying to say is that a Notebook is a Notebook and not a Visual Filter. But it does show up in the Visual Filter menu as a selectable item so functions as a Visual Filter. 

Cynthia in Florida:
I think what is confusing is this.  When you first open the notes tool, whether you want to write a note or search a note, the notes are mixed in with the highlights, so if you don't realize that highlights is PART OF the notes tool, (which I didn't), then you don't realize how important it is to make sure to choose whether you are searching a highlight or a note.  For someone like me, who has all her inductive Bible study icons and highlights there, I couldn't understand what all my "filters" were doing there.  I thought notes was notes...PERIOD.  It confused me that highlights were there, so when searching for a note, it really is best to choose NOTES right off the bat.  That way, when I get down to my notebooks (which have all my inductive Bible study visual filters there...and there are a lot!), all those icon filters are gone and I'm simply searching or viewing my notes.  Clear as mud, right?!

That makes total sense and is a great way of achieving this particular use case. 

There are other scenarios where filtering just to Notes straight away wouldn't work - for example if I want to look at the combination of notes and highlights in a resource - where immediately just focusing on Notes wouldn't be a good thing to do. That was all I was suggesting.

Posts 807
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 2:07 AM

danwdoo:

Thanks all, this thread has been immensely helpful in figuring out the new notes system. One thing I'm thinking through is how I might handle organizing a larger research project. Let's say I am doing a study on a broad topic such as sanctification. I imagine I would have at least one related passage list, lots of clippings and perhaps some documents I create as well (as other file types I haven't worked with enough to grasp their value!). What would be a good strategy for bringing this all together? Would I create a notebook to store all these files and results? Would I just use tagging for the project name? Looking for some basic usage ideas on getting the most from the new system.

This is a FANTASTIC question and really--now that I've muddled through the above--my very next question.  As a college student, I run into this all the time.  I thought that notebooks, based off the title, was exactly that:  a place where I would take all my work and put it in my notebook, just like a student would take all their notes, clippings, research notes, post-its (which appears to be likened to anchors for me), handouts, etc.  I think sometimes part of the problem with Logos is they don't think about what a common item is used for and thus how a title to a tool would be perceived.  That then throws in the curve ball for someone like me who tends to be a visual black-and-white type of person. Then I find out that highlights are notes which, when placed in a notebook, automatically create visual filters that act as visual filters but are not REALLY visual filters!  REEEAAALLLLLY?

So, I would love it if someone could answer danwdoo's (and my) question.  How would you put something like that in motion?

Cynthia

Posts 3115
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 2:12 AM

Cynthia in Florida:

Well, I think something I'm learning here is that my notes, as I have them now, seem to need a major overhaul.

What changes would you have to make?

Initially I thought I’d have to completely redo how I organized and used notes, but after spending more time with new notes, I’ve found that new notes doesn’t require my note-taking system to change.

Posts 807
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 2:16 AM

Graham Criddle:

Cynthia in Florida:

Cynthia in Florida:

Maybe I am being a bit too pedantic - and maybe I am wrong as well!

But what I was trying to say is that a Notebook is a Notebook and not a Visual Filter. But it does show up in the Visual Filter menu as a selectable item so functions as a Visual Filter. 

Cynthia in Florida:

That makes total sense and is a great way of achieving this particular use case. 

There are other scenarios where filtering just to Notes straight away wouldn't work - for example if I want to look at the combination of notes and highlights in a resource - where immediately just focusing on Notes wouldn't be a good thing to do. That was all I was suggesting.

Graham:  Thanks so much.  I fully understand what you're saying now.  I even understand why I may not want to filter away my highlights.  For me, personally, I see notes still needing some work.  As I mentioned above, notebooks should NOT be called notebooks when the notebooks contain highlights that function as visual filters.  Logos needs to consider what it titles a tool, because with that title comes an assumption on the part of the user that it will do what it does in real life. It leads to confusion and frustration when the user doesn't realize that the title of the tool doesn't necessarily mean that its computer function mimics its real life function.

As always, you rock, and I thank you for all your help!!!!

Cynthia

Posts 21639
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 2:38 AM

danwdoo:
Let's say I am doing a study on a broad topic such as sanctification. I imagine I would have at least one related passage list, lots of clippings and perhaps some documents I create as well (as other file types I haven't worked with enough to grasp their value!). What would be a good strategy for bringing this all together? Would I create a notebook to store all these files and results?

From this description I would probably start with creating a Favorites folder on the topic and then dragging clippings, passage list, documents, etc to it to keep all your research material in one place. And if you also create a Notes Notebook with relevant notes then dragging the Notes Tool to this Favorites folder when you have the Notebook selected means that when you click it in the Favorites folder it will open an instance of the Notes Tool with that notebook already selected.

If you aren't familiar with Favorites - you can find out about them at https://wiki.logos.com/Favorites 

Posts 807
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2018 3:33 AM

Graham Criddle:

danwdoo:
Let's say I am doing a study on a broad topic such as sanctification. I imagine I would have at least one related passage list, lots of clippings and perhaps some documents I create as well (as other file types I haven't worked with enough to grasp their value!). What would be a good strategy for bringing this all together? Would I create a notebook to store all these files and results?

From this description I would probably start with creating a Favorites folder on the topic and then dragging clippings, passage list, documents, etc to it to keep all your research material in one place. And if you also create a Notes Notebook with relevant notes then dragging the Notes Tool to this Favorites folder when you have the Notebook selected means that when you click it in the Favorites folder it will open an instance of the Notes Tool with that notebook already selected.

If you aren't familiar with Favorites - you can find out about them at https://wiki.logos.com/Favorites 

Thank Graham:  This helps immensely.  I'm thinking maybe Logos would want to incorporate something like this into Notes or make something like this more obvious. (or maybe they have and I don't know how.)

The reason I say that is because whether someone uses Logos as a pastor, a college student, or a student of the Word, having all their notes, clippings, etc., on a particular topic or passage that they gather for a sermon, a paper, or a study all in one place (i.e., what I thought was the point of notebook),  seems so logical.  As it is now, my clippings,(including notes on those clippings), documents, passage lists, etc., are in one place and my notes (including highlights on those notes) are in another.  Now I have to take those and put them all in another place outside of the documents and outside of the notes, which means I'll need to remember to drag them all over to the favorites folder whenever I update them if I want to keep the folder up to date.  That's fine, but it would be more helpful if I could somehow have a shortcut key or an icon in the notes folder (and in a perfect world, within my document I've created), that allows me to link (or maybe the word is save) the note or clipping or passage list over to the particular favorites folder.  Is that option available?

Edited to add:  Upon reading the article in the above link, Logos starts by saying that "Favorites in Logos are like favorites that you add in Internet Explorer or other browser programs. It allows you to store locations to resources. As with favorites in your browser you can create Folders and organize your favorites."  Keeping with my assertion that Logos needs to think about what they title things, I would agree that to be the idea I would get in my head as to the function of "Favorites."  Logos then goes on and says, "You can save Bible study resources, clippings, layout and such for a particular Bible study in a named folder."  I would expect THAT function in Notebook (as clearly did danwdoo in the post above). I'm just saying that what Logos titles something gives a picture in the mind of the user and more often than not, I'm discovering that it doesn't mimic the actual item.

Cynthia

Page 2 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS