Reading Plan problem: <<Tertullian, Cyprian, Origen: On the Lord's Prayer>>

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 231
Philip Larson | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 6 2018 4:47 PM

I can't set a reading plan for the whole book. Seems like any plan I try to create excludes Tertullian and Origen. (Keep out the heretics, huh?!)

Posts 2640
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 6:40 AM

I don't have that specific resource so I can't test it. Are you seeing this behavior in any other resources?

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband, Lover of Baseball!

How to upload logs

Posts 1774
LogosEmployee

Philip Larson:

I can't set a reading plan for the whole book. Seems like any plan I try to create excludes Tertullian and Origen. (Keep out the heretics, huh?!)

This is a long standing problem with how reading plans are created. It's caused by the fact that the reading plan generator only uses the very first referencing scheme in the resource for generating readings. The first referencing scheme in some resources doesn't actually cover the entire book.

The best I can offer at this point is to manually create a custom reading plan.

Posts 8368
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 10:51 AM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
This is a long standing problem with how reading plans are created. It's caused by the fact that the reading plan generator only uses the very first referencing scheme in the resource for generating readings. The first referencing scheme in some resources doesn't actually cover the entire book.

I often wondered how this worked and why some books would not create plans but this explains it. Could the software for generating reading plans be adjusted at some point to check to see if there may be multiple schemes within a resource?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1774
LogosEmployee

Bruce Dunning:
Could the software for generating reading plans be adjusted at some point to check to see if there may be multiple schemes within a resource?

Almost anything can be done. The question on any feature or bug is more a matter of priorities, and the importance/urgency of an issue compared to how much effort or risk is involved in implementing it.

Judging from how long this has been a problem, I wouldn't hold your breath on it. It is however something that we are aware of, and would like to fix at some point.

Posts 12671
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 12:34 PM

Judging from how long this has been a problem, I wouldn't hold your breath on it. It is however something that we are aware of, and would like to fix at some point.

Reading Plans generally need to be rewritten from the ground up (and probably merged with Courses). Smarter boundaries and dateless plans are the most important missing features, IMO. I'd use Reading Plans very regularly if they had these two features.

Posts 2640
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 12:41 PM

Mark Barnes:

Reading Plans generally need to be rewritten from the ground up (and probably merged with Courses). Smarter boundaries and dateless plans are the most important missing features, IMO. I'd use Reading Plans very regularly if they had these two features.

I echo the need for dateless plans. Sometimes I want a plan to keep me on track with reading a book but sometimes I don't necessarily want to read that book straight through day after day. This allows me to be on a track but not have a date attached to it.

How to upload logs

Posts 8368
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 12:53 PM

David Taylor Jr:

Mark Barnes:

I echo the need for dateless plans. Sometimes I want a plan to keep me on track with reading a book but sometimes I don't necessarily want to read that book straight through day after day. This allows me to be on a track but not have a date attached to it.

I totally agree with what is being said here.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 24936
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 2:15 PM

David Taylor Jr:
I echo the need for dateless plans.

In some cases, Reading Lists can serve this function.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2640
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 2:23 PM

MJ. Smith:

David Taylor Jr:

You know I have honestly never looked at/used the Reading List feature.

How to upload logs

Posts 8368
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 4:31 PM

David Taylor Jr:

MJ. Smith:

David Taylor Jr:

You know I have honestly never looked at/used the Reading List feature.

MJ is a master at using reading lists but somehow they have never taken root with me.

Posts 231
Philip Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 5:18 PM

I haven't experienced this problem elsewhere.

Posts 954
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2018 5:50 PM

Mark Barnes:
Smarter boundaries and dateless plans are the most important missing features, IMO. I'd use Reading Plans very regularly if they had these two features.

Yes. Except for Bibles, I mostly ignore the boundaries in my reading plans (always auto-generated; I don't have the patience to manually create custom ones). I mostly use them to stay on track with the goal of completing a book by a particular date.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS