Bible Illustrator Formatting

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2087
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 14 2018 5:19 AM

Below is a screenshot of the Bible Illustrator Commentary. As you can see there are no paragraph breaks and in fact this goes on for 9 pages. I do not have the print version, so this may be the way it was written, but it is difficult for me to read and find what I am looking for in the text.

Any chance this could be formatted to include paragraphs?

Posts 5737
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 5:34 AM

Mine does...oops! Nevermind, this is my WORDsearch Edition 😜

Posts 1310
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 5:53 AM

I am seeing the same thing as DAL at Studylight.org:

It's been awhile since I have looked at the print edition, but if I recall correctly, the formatting was like what we see in Logos.

I've been toying with a Visual Filter to make the heading numbers stand out, but the Visual Filters do not recognize punctuation marks. So it sees (1) as 1 and highlights all the 1's instead of just the (1)'s.

How To Get Logs - macOS or Windows

Posts 1894
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 5:59 AM

I think I will hang on to the old PB I had of this.

Posts 882
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 6:01 AM

DAL:

Mine does...oops! Nevermind, this is my WORDsearch Edition 😜

Wow. That DOES look nice! But I'll take a poorly formatted book in Logos over perfectly formatted books in WordSearch any day, mainly because WordSearch refuses to bring their interface and tools up to par. It's such an archaic system - even the mobile app and the web app. And it's a shame they wont REALLY invest in WordSearch...it has so much potential to be a good Bible software platform one day.

But I suppose the low price of their books prohibits them from raising the capital needed to improve the software. Yet another reason why Logos book prices might be fairer than we think sometimes.

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Mid 2015 iMac, 2.5GHz i7, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Posts 828
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 6:19 AM

John Fidel:

Below is a screenshot of the Bible Illustrator Commentary. As you can see there are no paragraph breaks and in fact this goes on for 9 pages. I do not have the print version, so this may be the way it was written, but it is difficult for me to read and find what I am looking for in the text.

John, I agree that it's very difficult to use in this format.

I can say that this is what was in our source files (or at least the version of them that I looked at).

I've pinged Kyle, he may be able to take a look and see what we can do.

Manager, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 357
George | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 6:30 AM

At least some of the print editions were formatted like that.

Here is the link for the same volume on archive.org

https://archive.org/details/biblicalillustra451exel/page/388  

Awful, indeed.

Posts 2087
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 6:35 AM

Thanks Ben!

Posts 828
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 8:43 AM

John Fidel:

John--

It was mentioned later in the thread that this is how the print was formatted and I we followed the print.

But what you asked for can absolutely be done.

Our production team actually asked about this when producing the volume on 1 John and I suggested doing something similar to what other e-versions had done. At the time I failed to think that it probably extended into the rest of the series.

That being said could you take a look at the volume on 1 John and let me know how the formatting works for you there?

Some of the paragraphs are still very long and could be broken up even further. At the time I was considering breaking them up into even smaller paragraphs along the Roman Numeral division but I was afraid that the division would be too small and would lose readability. It was a tricky line we were trying to balance.

Posts 2087
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 9:32 AM

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the follow up.

I am not on my Mac, but using the web app I do not see much difference in the 1 John volume. Just breaks at italicized headings. Modern readers are used to many more breaks in the flow of text. Unless I am detail reading, I skim to get to the information that is pertinent. I know, not a good habit, but I know I am not alone. Breaks in the text make this much easier.

Comparable to the example provided by DAL from a competitor would be great.

Posts 828
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2018 9:42 AM

John Fidel:

Hi Kyle,

I am not on my Mac, but using the web app I do not see much difference in the 1 John volume. Just breaks at italicized headings. Modern readers are used to many more breaks in the flow of text. Unless I am detail reading, I skim to get to the information that is pertinent. I know, not a good habit, but I know I am not alone. Breaks in the text make this much easier.

Thanks John!

That's enough for me to go with.

Posts 2675
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2018 10:09 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

John Fidel:

Hi Kyle,

Thanks John!

That's enough for me to go with.

Glad to see this will get worked on! I thought my eyes were going to melt when I first tried to use this resource!  I agree w/ the above as well.  I really like the way DAL's photo formatted it as that would make these much easier to read.

Thank you Kyle!

Posts 2675
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2018 11:44 AM

PS Don't forget about the Acts volume as it wasn't included in the L8 bundle.  I don't own it but I would guess it would need to have its formatting look at as well

Posts 5737
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2018 11:56 AM

Mattillo:

PS Don't forget about the Acts volume as it wasn't included in the L8 bundle.  I don't own it but I would guess it would need to have its formatting look at as well

It was available at one point for $40 bucks, but then it mysteriously disappeared 💨🌬🌪

Posts 5737
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2018 1:22 AM

I feel bad for Logos Having to do double the work on the formatting of this set. Live amd learn, I guess.

Accordance literally just released their version of the BI and it‘s outined the way it should be. Not to mention that their version is $54.99 introductory price and $99.99 regular price (for both Old and New Testaments!).  Why does Logos/FL insists on selling public domain resources at such high prices? And please, don’t use the tagging excuse, because Accordance is just as good if not better in some things.

DAL

Posts 25194
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2018 1:32 AM

DAL:
And please, don’t use the tagging excuse, because Accordance is just as good if not better in some things.

How many of the Accordance advantages correspond to features that in Logos depend on tagging? Just saying, you need to review your truth table here Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5737
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2018 3:32 AM

MJ. Smith:

DAL:
And please, don’t use the tagging excuse, because Accordance is just as good if not better in some things.

How many of the Accordance advantages correspond to features that in Logos depend on tagging? Just saying, you need to review your truth table here Big Smile

MJ you’re a night owl 🦉 but it’s early morning already...go get some sleep 😴 💤 🛏 👍😁👌

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS