Upgrading to 8 to install on new laptop

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 24
Roger Pitot | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 15 2018 7:21 AM

I have searched the forums but cannot find the right way to do this. 

Today I bought a new laptop with a hard drive and an SSD. I want to upgrade to Logos 8 and install it onto my new laptop only. I think I must do the following:

1. Log in and download Logos 8 onto the SSD (will the installation give me that option?)

2. Copy all resources to the SSD (?) or the Hard drive?

(Must I copy before installing to avoid downloading 3,000 resources and if so to which directory?)

Q. How do I get my notes, layouts, preferences, etc? Will update or sync take care of that?

I will tackle this over the weekend, so any assistance will be much appreciated.

Roger

Posts 1520
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2018 7:28 AM

Roger Pitot:

(Must I copy before installing to avoid downloading 3,000 resources and if so to which directory?)

Instructions for copying Logos resources to avoid redownloading are here: https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

Roger Pitot:
Q. How do I get my notes, layouts, preferences, etc? Will update or sync take care of that?

Yes, all the user-created data will sync after installation.

Hope this helps!

Posts 21635
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2018 7:29 AM

Roger Pitot:
Today I bought a new laptop with a hard drive and an SSD. I want to upgrade to Logos 8 and install it onto my new laptop only

To ensure I understand.

Do you mean you want to continue with Logos 7 on your earlier systems?

If so, you would need to do some configuration changes there as once you purchase the Logos 8 upgrade it will, by default, load onto all your systems.

Roger Pitot:
1. Log in and download Logos 8 onto the SSD (will the installation give me that option?)

Details of determining which drive the software installs to are at https://wiki.logos.com/Install_in_different_folder_or_drive#Custom_Installation 

Roger Pitot:

If you want to avoid the download of your resources have a look at https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers 

Roger Pitot:

Yes - sync will handle that

If you could explain a bit more of what you are trying to achieve we may be able to advise more specifically.

Posts 24
Roger Pitot | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2018 8:29 AM

Thanks for this.

I will not keep 7 on my old laptop once I am happy that all is fine with 8 on the new one.

I will follow method 2 on the wiki to avoid downloading resources.

Should I then copy the resources onto the SSD to speed up searches and guides?

Thanks again

Posts 21635
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2018 8:44 AM

Roger Pitot:

Having Logos on your SSD should certainly give you better performance.

Posts 17823
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2018 10:29 AM

Roger Pitot:

Suggest installing Logos 8 on SSD. Scan command copies licensed resources into your Logos 8 installation (so not need to copy resources to SSD prior to using Scan command).

Personally have used USB drives and Network shared folders for Scan command source.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 24563
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2018 8:02 PM

Roger Pitot:

To clarify this:

• Method 2 avoids indexing and downloading
  • Method 3 avoids downloading, but resources have to be indexed.
  • With both methods, you must select a Custom installation, and then you can choose to install Logos onto the SSD e.g. enter  D:\ if it is on the D drive.
  • when you complete either Method, your installation and resources are on the SSD!

I suggest you use Method 3 as it is less prone to error.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS