Osborne Set

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 638
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 19 2018 4:59 AM

So my price would be $11 per volume on the Osborne set that is on sale right now.  Anyone have experience with these?  Thoughts?  Im not sure I need them...

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 5:31 AM

Michael S.:

So my price would be $11 per volume on the Osborne set that is on sale right now.  Anyone have experience with these?  Thoughts?  Im not sure I need them...

I really enjoy the set, but I am an Osborne fan. The Theology of the Book section is somewhat unique in the introductory section. I find the depth of analysis better than some other intermediate commentaries, but not as involved as most academic or technical commentaries. 

As you are probably aware, Grant Osborne past away recently, so the completion of the series is in question. 

As to "need" that is dependent upon what you already have and what your "needs" are.

Here is a screenshot of Romans with the TOC. If you want to compare specific sections, let me know.

Also note there are two additional volumes that are in prepub that are priced higher than your per volume sales price. You may want to consider those in your decision as well.

Posts 638
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 6:52 AM

John Fidel:

I really enjoy the set, but I am an Osborne fan. The Theology of the Book section is somewhat unique in the introductory section. I find the depth of analysis better than some other intermediate commentaries, but not as involved as most academic or technical commentaries. 

As you are probably aware, Grant Osborne past away recently, so the completion of the series is in question. 

As to "need" that is dependent upon what you already have and what your "needs" are.

Thanks John.  I am not very familiar with Dr. Osborne's work- Im more familiar with Dr. Carson (I know they were colleagues).  As far as commentaries- I am loaded pretty heavy- NICNT, Pillar, New American, some Word, ICC, Smyth & Helwys, Boice, Preaching the Word, Tyndale, Reformed Expository, Blacks, Baker, UBS, NIGTC, New Covenant, NIVAC, Cornerstone, and other odds and ins.

So if this is an intermediate level, then I probably dont "need" them, other than getting his perspective- is this a fair assessment?

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 7:25 AM

That is a fair assessment. Grant Osborne wrote The Hermeneutical Spiral, which I recommend highly if you do not have it. 

Posts 942
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 7:25 AM

Michael. Definitely intermediate.

Posts 207
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 8:21 AM

I am a very big fan of Osborne's Hermeneutical Spiral. In fact, that is the reason I bought the commentaries.You don't have to own these and you will be fine, but if you like Osborne then these are great.

Posts 6412
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 9:14 AM

The only reason I have them is because they were really cheap when I bought them (like 22 bucks) and then recently a couple of volumes I was missing went  on sale also for real cheap.  I’m missing Luke and Acts, but it would cost me $50 to get them.  James will probably be available in the future.  I’ll just wait for a sale to round up the set, which might not get completed anyway.  

DAL

Posts 1838
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 9:27 AM

Michael S.:
As far as commentaries- I am loaded pretty heavy

I currently have access to 2 volumes of this series. I will be purchasing the remainder of the 6-volume before the end of the Black Friday sale. This set is on the NAC, Tyndale, NIVAC level so may not provide new insights to include in Seminary papers, but would provide concise examples of how these principles may be worded in an expository sermon.  in other words, the greatest value may be post-seminary when you are kicking out sermons weekly.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS