getting the most out of the monographs

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 19 2018 1:51 PM

I have been working through my monographs, editing their headings and trying to figure out ways to make using them easier and faster.

I figured out a way that I think is worth pursuing.

Now I use them so far almost entirely with a passage guide.  And monographs fall into one of two categories.  There are monographs that deal with the book of the Bible I am studying and those that don't.

For example, say I am doing a study on John's Gospel.  There are a lot of monographs on John, theologies, introductions, character studies, analyses, etc.  And then there are a lot of books that just might have a reference to John.  

A typical passage guide search including monographs will easily overwhelm you with results.  

I suggest that the library have another tagging criterion.  I would like to be able to tag a monograph with such labels as John, Romans NT, OT, etc. so that I don't get a list of 50 books that have a verse referred to in them but a separate list of monographs that specifically deal with that book of the Bible.  

Someone will say, just put them in a collection.  But what collection?  What collection will put all the monographs on, say, John's Gospel together in a search result without all the myriad of others?

Thank you

Posts 21998
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 1:56 PM

Are you aware you can tag resources as per https://wiki.logos.com/Tagging?

You should be able to tag monographs as you wish and then use the tags to create collections which you can then use in your PG.

Does this give you what you want?

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 2:01 PM

I have tags on thousands of books.  I think you didn't read the last part of my note.  How would I tag a monograph on the theology of John so that it would open up in a search on John separate from a list of a hundred books that might only have one verse relating to John?

Posts 21998
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 2:18 PM

Larry Craig:
How would I tag a monograph on the theology of John so that it would open up in a search on John separate from a list of a hundred books that might only have one verse relating to John?

I think I might be missing what you are trying to do.

I've just tagged three monographs with the tag "JohnTheology" as shown below:

And I've created a collection "JohnTheology" using that tag

Now I can search for verses or words referenced in just those resources in a Basic Search

Or if I add the collection into a Passage Guide it returns results there when the passage in the guide is referenced.

If I am missing what you are looking for please clarify.

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 2:30 PM

Thank you for taking the time to help here.

I could create collections as you have here.  There are 66 books in the Bible and I would probably add maybe an OT and NT one as well.  I would then either have to run another search in addition to a passage guide or I would have to add a collection every time i use passage guide, or otherwise have 66 more collections in it.  

This would work, but the idea of software is to save time.  So here I have to keep running an additional search when I do a passage guide, keep changing the passage guide whenever I run it (adding or subtracting a collection) or have 66 more collections in it.

Posts 2204
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 2:40 PM

Larry Craig:

I have tags on thousands of books.  I think you didn't read the last part of my note.  How would I tag a monograph on the theology of John so that it would open up in a search on John separate from a list of a hundred books that might only have one verse relating to John?

Larry,

In addition to Graham's suggestion...

Another option is the Cited By Tool. Link it to your Passage Guide if you want the focus to be on that pericope. The Cited By tool allows you to search for references in your resources by tag, collection or series.

Here is a view of mine:

You can add sections as seen here:

You can choose how you want it to display as seen here:

Once you have your collections, this is what I use as the gateway to my monographs to see what they say about the pericope I am studying.

Let me know if you have questions.

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 2:48 PM

Thank you for trying to help here.

I don't know anything about a cited by tool.  Logos help doesn't help.

Where would I find that?

Posts 2204
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 2:57 PM

Go to the menu and type cited by in the search window:

At Logos help type "cited by" in quotes and you will find more information.

Hope this helps.

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 3:09 PM

I'm not getting any help from Logos help.  I did find the cited by tool.  Doesn't seem to be any more than just adding monographs to my passage guide.  It looks like what I'll have to do is to tag monographs by books of the Bible, create collections of each book,and then add that collection whenever I do a passage guide.

Thank you again.

I really appreciate the help.

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 5:28 PM

Hi Graham

I started tagging monographs with the names of books of the Bible.  I'll create collections for each book and attach the corresponding collection whenI do a passage guide search.  Whatever Logos does will take a while, but they probably won't do anything anyway.  But you gave me the idea, so thank you.  I appreciate it.

Larry

Posts 3086
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 19 2018 6:42 PM

John Fidel:

Let's play, "Spot the typo!"

I'll give you a clue: in my library, when I run a search on it, I get 14 hits in 6 articles in 2 resources, and one of them is Verbum Help.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS