Indexing keeps running out of space (and stopping)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 263
Greg F | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 20 2018 2:51 AM

I've been trying to reinstall Logos 7 on my laptop, but am running into space issues I thiink. My hard drive says it has 3.5 gigs of space left, but the indexer on Logos 7 keeps bombing, with the error message: "Please restart index with 1 gig of hard drive space free."

I clearly have more than 1 gig free, but my library was 15 gigs to download. Is there a workaround, or do I just need more space?

Alternatively, can I copy the index file from my desktop computer to my laptop?

Posts 3979
Forum MVP
Fredc | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 4:33 AM

If you have an installation on another computer, Method 2 on this wiki page may be a good solution for you. 

https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

Posts 26512
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2018 2:45 PM

Greg F:
My hard drive says it has 3.5 gigs of space left

This is a clear case of computer abuse. Stick out tongue

In all seriousness, you do not have enough free space on your computer. It is like trying to cram too much into a suitcase. There IS a limit to how much will fit. Have you at least done the simple things (i.e. empty trash, clean cache, etc.)? 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 273
PJ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2018 12:47 AM

Greg F:
I clearly have more than 1 gig free

1. The Problem
  2. Quick Solution
  3. Copy Logos to Laptop
  4. Future
  5. Temporary solution if funds are limited

The Problem

The following is based on Windows. Remember that your OS uses a page file on the HD. The default size depends on the amount of RAM in your system. The page file can be between minimum 1.5 times and maximum 4 times the size of your RAM. The minimum requirements for Windows 10 are 1Gig RAM for 32-bit and 2Gig RAM for 64-bit. With basic requirements in mind, the available 3.5 gigs could actually be 3.5 - 1.5 = 2 gig on a 32-bit system or 3.5 - 3 = 0.5 gig on a 64-bit system.

You could maybe tweak the system on a 32-bit to increase HD space but on a 64-bit system, you will lose against the system requirements. The first option would be to remove all default games and apps not necessary on the Laptop.

Quick Solution

If available, run the WebApp on the Laptop (https://app.logos.com/)

Copy Logos to Laptop

You'll need the same version Setup files for both computers. If they are different this following process won't work. If Logos updated in the last few days, copy the installation files from C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Logos\Install

1. Install Logos on the Laptop
  2. Don't run it after installation
  3. The path on both PC and Laptop: C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Logos
  4. Delete the Logos folder on the Laptop
  5. Copy the Logos Folder from the PC to a flash drive
  6. Copy the Logos Folder from the flash drive to the Laptop to C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Logos
  7. Run Logos on the Laptop
  8. Login
  9. Wait a few seconds

The Future

In the long run, you will need to uninstall large applications or invest in an extra HD or SSD for the Laptop.

Temporary solution if funds are limited

There are some tricks to run Logos temporarily from a large flash drive, but it's not advisable. One trick is to swop drive letters of a partition and flash drive. This will be slower than an HD or SSD but still fast enough to work. You can do this as follow.

1. Install Logos onto a small partition on the Laptop (You'll need to know how to create a partition)
  2. Take note of the drive letter you installed it on
  3. Copy the complete Logos folder onto the flash drive from the PC
  4. Use Computer Management to remove the drive letter of the small partition on the Laptop
  5. Remove the flash drive from the PC after coping finished and plug the flash drive into the Laptop
  6. Use Computer Management to assign the small drive's letter to the flash drive on the Laptop
  7. Run Logos from the flash drive
Posts 23844
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2019 7:25 PM

PJ:

The Problem

The following is based on Windows. Remember that your OS uses a page file on the HD. The default size depends on the amount of RAM in your system. The page file can be between minimum 1.5 times and maximum 4 times the size of your RAM.

I don't know if it was intended, but it appears that the page file is the problem? What you propose is technical, and misleading  i.e. you state the requirement in terms of  "your" RAM and compute a value using "minimum" RAM, assuming that the free space 3.5GB does not account for the page file! The Microsoft page on Page File size states that it "can grow to within 1 GB of free space on the volume if required for crash dump settings".

It may be possible to reduce the size of the page file e.g. my 64-bit Win 10 system uses 5GB by default, but it recommends 1904 MB! So you could set 1904 MB as the minimum, but it would require some expertise and confidence to set the maximum value at less than 5 GB! And I have 8 GB RAM.

So page file size is not a viable option to getting more free space.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 17588
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2019 8:27 PM

Greg F:
I clearly have more than 1 gig free, but my library was 15 gigs to download. Is there a workaround, or do I just need more space?

My Faithlife account with $ 0.00 order total has 5.6 GB of Resources with 0.25 GB Bible Index and 0.65 GB Library Index. If this library tripled in size, could estimate 0.75 GB Bible Index and 1.95 GB Library Index, which totals 2.7 GB. When Indexing, the Library Index needs adequate space to be doubled along with temporary index files so a practical minimum free space would be 5 GB.

On a system that did not have adequate free space for Library index duplication, manually deleted Library Index to cause complete rebuild in available space (plus later expanded free space).

Dave Hooton:
It may be possible to reduce the size of the page file e.g. my 64-bit Win 10 system uses 5GB by default, but it recommends 1904 MB!

Several years ago using a Windows system with 32 GB of RAM, choose a fixed minimal size for page file. If opened too many programs OR had memory leakage then encountered out of memory errors (preferably for me so could free up ~63 GB of storage space since did not need page nor hibernation files). By the way, lots of paging is an indication that more RAM would improve performance.

Personal disclaimer: now using 27" iMac with Retina Display and MacBook Air (less hassle for maintenance and use).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS