Strange Behaviour Passage Guide

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 32 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2918
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 6 2018 12:30 AM

I have numerous PG's setup ranging from Gen to Rev- I noticed a behaviour last night when I opened a 4th commentary tab using collection created under the series:Classic Commentaries and Studies on Genesis.- named CC-Genesis. 

This "commentary" group appeared in all my passage guides from Gen to Rev all the same Genesis category- but showing no results. The question is should this be appearing as a new item in "every" PG or is this unexpected behaviour? See pic for example:

Posts 25124
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 12:35 AM

The answer is "probably" as you are probably using the PG as you left it from last use rather than clearing it out and starting anew.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2918
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 12:38 AM

Each one was created separately- no reuse.

Posts 2918
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 12:46 AM

I deleted the Romans 1 PG opened new PG started over- when I added the 4th commentary section for the classics on Romans it appeared once again in all my PG's, getting same behaviour.

Posts 25124
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 12:59 AM

Ah, you are saying that all Passage Guides having the same name have identical sections? I believe that is the intended behavior.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2918
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 1:20 AM

No- every PG is different- regardless of book of the Bible and passage- the same 4th commentary section shows up in all PG's as the same book I setup in the first PG used in- i.e. I setup a 4th commentary section in Genesis 10, but when I closed the PG for Genesis and opened my PG for Romans 1.1-7- there was a 4th commentary section there that had Genesis, but no results- without me adding it to the Romans PG.

Posts 2918
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 1:24 AM

I forgot to add- if I delete the 4th commentary section from any PG- it disappears from them all.

Posts 25124
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 2:35 AM

Whyndell Gizzard:
I forgot to add- if I delete the 4th commentary section from any PG- it disappears from them all.

Exactly, that is what I would expect. Unless you have saved each of the Guides under a separate name (and likely you'd need to load each of them from the saved guides with separate names ... I'm fighting memory capacity and can't test at the moment), the four behave as a single Guide ... a single template that is instantiated multiple times with different passages. Any change to the sections present in one of them will effect all of them.

Posts 2918
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 5:25 AM

These were all created separately from new guides

Posts 1791
LogosEmployee

This button in the Guides menu is the only way to create a new guide that is defined separately from other guides.

You have instead been clicking on the Passage Guide item in the menu, which opens a new panel using the Passage Guide. Any changes there will affect all panels that are using the Passage Guide.

Posts 2918
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 9:48 AM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

This button in the Guides menu is the only way to create a new guide that is defined separately from other guides.

You have instead been clicking on the Passage Guide item in the menu, which opens a new panel using the Passage Guide. Any changes there will affect all panels that are using the Passage Guide.

I just looked at this this process is just LAME!!

Posts 2918
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 9:51 AM

You need to deactivate the PG icon under Guides if you cannot use it to create a new PG.

Posts 1791
LogosEmployee

Whyndell Gizzard:

You need to deactivate the PG icon under Guides if you cannot use it to create a new PG.

Clicking on the PG icon does not create a new PG. Instead it opens the Passage Guide and allows you to run that guide on a specific verse.

To think of it another way, there is a tool called Factbook. The Factbook tool by itself is just a collection of a bunch of sections that display data, but there is nothing to display without selecting what "key" you want to display information for.

In the same way, a Guide is a definition of sections to display along with their configurations. Creating that configuration allows you to open that guide up (in the same way you open Factbook) and select the "key" that you want to display information for.

Posts 2918
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 4:22 PM

I for one will not open up "new" and continue to create a "new" PG with everything I do- I literally use PG for "everything" it is the only way to corelate resources and track studies, left in L8- using "favorites" to keep it organized is the only tool you offer- I still suffer through the fact highlights does not  have a "delete all" for any pallets.

The idea of having a specifically designed PG that can be utilized time after time and modified individually as necessary was doable in L7- I guess that is now gone. 

I personally thought the goal was to make the software usable for the "user" not what FL deemed usable then the "user" has no choice but adapt.

Posts 25124
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 4:45 PM

Whyndell Gizzard:
The idea of having a specifically designed PG that can be utilized time after time and modified individually as necessary was doable in L7- I guess that is now gone.

That is still possible but with a slightly different workflow. What has been added is the ability to propagate a change in the PG across a group of guides, a "refresh to new format" function which had been requested many times.

Posts 2918
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 5:06 PM

MJ - I eventually found the custom guide and created a new PG template- which for me is very standardized- as I move along through passages I add- exegetical, theological, bible study, etc (into the same layout) to the PG- and it is saved for a particular range of Scripture- which by the time I am done will include the entirety of each book of Scripture.

This is "my" mindset - it is how I approach the pursuit of learning- so everything I do really is centered around Favorites and the PG system- Favorites to help organize- PG to facilitate the movement of study. 

It is one reason for my dogmatism for Favorites anchor, or least the ability for user to anchor to home page- and the direct saving of PG's as layout directly into a folder within Favorites. 

So my "aggressive" nature- is not from anger, but from desire to get it right- it is not personal.

Posts 2918
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 5:11 PM

With the PG issue what would be preferable is placing the custom PG directly into the "Guides" drop down- I know you can find it by typing PG it populates the search- once again- personal preference- for better usability.

Posts 2918
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 5:20 PM

And while we're at it I would love for the Greek or Hebrew text to open in a separate tab when we open our preferred bible- in other words- when I open NASB95-PV then UBS5 (or chosen resource) opens in a separate tab- not in multi resources, within PG.

Posts 20523
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2018 11:56 PM

Whyndell Gizzard:
With the PG issue what would be preferable is placing the custom PG directly into the "Guides" drop down

Custom Guides are visible in the dropdown menu if you scroll down

Or you can pin individual guides to the top of the menu by right-clicking it

Posts 2918
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2018 1:53 AM

Graham 

"Custom Guides are visible in the dropdown menu if you scroll down"

That's my point though isn't it- another item you have to go hunt for- instead I'm naming them in a fashion where 2 ltrs pops them up in the search field- one click, 2 ltrs- amazing there it is- not hunt through a scrolling list.

To a great extent they spent a whole lot of time breaking what wasn't broke- instead of tweaking what they had that worked- sad.

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS