Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1825
mike | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 18 2018 8:04 PM

Wondering..

Posts 26278
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2018 8:11 PM

It's privately held. What right have you to know?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 186
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 1:59 AM

Total guess. If the answer were to be yes they do, then maybe the o.p. wants to make a suggestion as to a worthy charity. ???

Posts 6322
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 3:23 AM

Roy:

Total guess. If the answer were to be yes they do, then maybe the o.p. wants to make a suggestion as to a worthy charity. ???

With just a “Wondering...” in his post everyone will just guess or speculate. He should at least give details as to why he’s inquiring.  We’re not mind readers and again, a simple “wondering...” doesn’t help his cause either.

DAL

PS.  On a sidenote Joel Osteen was asked if he gave to charity and his response was “yes we do“ and when they asked him which one he smiled and said “we do give to charity” and he was asked again which one and his response was “we do give to charity.”  Yes I’m sure he gives to charity — His own bank account charity 馃槀  because according to him God wants us to be rich because Abraham was rich, Jacob was rich, Isaac was rich, Solomon was rich, David was rich and that’s why him and his wife are ”entitled” to be rich. 馃槀 poor soul!

Posts 2041
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 3:46 AM

I already do know and don't mind spilling the beans.  I am a charity case and get a LOT of free books like everyone else who accepts the abundant offers.  Thanks Logos! 

Posts 49
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 4:09 AM

Yes

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 4:44 AM

Wow lighten up, the poor guy just asked a "wondering" question, not worth biting his head off. "What right do you have to know", "Doesn't help his cause...". I guess he didn't get the email on the permissible questions to ask or wonder about. It's a forum - people converse. 

Posts 10523
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 5:03 AM

GaoLu:

I already do know and don't mind spilling the beans.  I am a charity case and get a LOT of free books like everyone else who accepts the abundant offers.  Thanks Logos! 

Count me as another grateful charity case Stick out tongue

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 5:26 AM

Jack Caviness:

GaoLu:

Me too!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 961
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 6:10 AM

I think they run a scholarship programme too.

讙址旨诐志讞止砖侄讈讱职之 诇止纸讗志讬址讞职砖执讈知讬讱职 诪执肢诪侄旨芝讱指 讜职汁诇址讬职诇指讛 讻址旨讬旨郑讜止诐 讬指讗执謶讬专 讻址旨譂讞植砖值讈讬讻指謼讛 讻指旨讗讜止专指纸讛

Posts 2760
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 6:20 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Jack Caviness:

GaoLu:

Me too!

As well as, I. Thank you Faithlife, your gifts are very much appreciated, accepted, and needed. Smile

Posts 6322
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 6:23 AM

Don Awalt:

Wow lighten up, the poor guy just asked a "wondering" question, not worth biting his head off. "What right do you have to know", "Doesn't help his cause...". I guess he didn't get the email on the permissible questions to ask or wonder about. It's a forum - people converse. 

LOL You’re too funny 馃槀 nobody is biting nobody‘s head. He just needed to give more information that’s all.

You didn’t say anything about MJ asking him what right he had to know. And really if he wants to know let him call FL!

DAL

Posts 450
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 7:19 AM

Wondering if a company that you're doing a lot of business with gives to charity is a perfectly reasonable question. A lot of people like to know that they are doing business with companies that are "giving back" in some way with their communities. When looking at stocks to buy through certain traders they sometimes have investment portfolios based around companies with certain values. On the other hand, many take a sort of Thoreau-ian approach: "I do not care to trace the course of my dollar, whether it buys a man or a musket to shoot a man with..." And many do a little bit of both as the mood strikes them. To each their own. Speaking for myself, I don't really care whether Faithlife is giving to charity, since I try to fulfill my concerns in regard to that through other means.

Certainly more strange than wondering whether you're doing business with a company that is "giving back" to its community is thinking that whenever a business puts on a sale that this constitutes charity! I'm sure that this is an attitude that every business would love for people to adopt however! How great for Amazon and all the other corporations to be able to boast about how Black Friday is really just America's biggest corporate charity day! And I suppose businesses could then make all those sales tax deductible! 

Posts 3024
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 7:42 AM

I think it's a legitimate question to ask, and it is one to which we are not owed an answer. That distinction is worth making, I think.

I don't happen to know if FL as a company makes charitable donations in the conventional sense of the term, but I'm sure that the plurality of the people on its payroll do on a personal basis.

Posts 2067
LogosEmployee

Here's Bob Pritchett's (Faithlife CEO) response to the question from 8 years ago: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/9655/78362.aspx#78362

Posts 10120
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 8:14 AM

J. Remington Bowling:

Wondering if a company that you're doing a lot of business with gives to charity is a perfectly reasonable question. A lot of people like to know that they are doing business with companies that are "giving back" in some way with their communities. When looking at stocks to buy through certain traders they sometimes have investment portfolios based around companies with certain values. On the other hand, many take a sort of Thoreau-ian approach: "I do not care to trace the course of my dollar, whether it buys a man or a musket to shoot a man with..." And many do a little bit of both as the mood strikes them. To each their own. Speaking for myself, I don't really care whether Faithlife is giving to charity, since I try to fulfill my concerns in regard to that through other means.

Certainly more strange than wondering whether you're doing business with a company that is "giving back" to its community is thinking that whenever a business puts on a sale that this constitutes charity! I'm sure that this is an attitude that every business would love for people to adopt however! How great for Amazon and all the other corporations to be able to boast about how Black Friday is really just America's biggest corporate charity day! And I suppose businesses could then make all those sales tax deductible! 

J, it's clear to me, that we fall on opposite 'sides' of any question posed. Smiling.

For decades (1 1/2), I've always thought FL's charity would be best to benefit its customers. Per Bob, their primary (paying) customer is a pastor. At one time, I thought pastors should even get a regular discount, just like academic. That was before Bob indicated the customers are almost all pastors. Oops.. But I still believe a good pastor is a church's delight. I clearly remember Jesus' advice: "An ox is worthy of his (or her) discount."

Posts 450
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 8:30 AM

Unfortunately, I'm not sure we are on opposite sides on this question. Smile

I didn't intend to say that charity cannot, in principle, be extended to customers through sales. For instance, Apple could--theoretically--sell a laptop to a homeless person (or all homeless persons) for $1. That strikes me as an act of charity, because Apple is taking a loss (and it seems to me that any robust definition of charity would include the concept of altruism or giving without seeking return from the person you're giving to... but I'm sure we'd also both not want to bother getting too deep into a philosophical analysis here--must be the season for making us see eye-to-eye). 

Given that, I can agree with you that it would be possible for Faithlife to be engaged in acts of charity by taking a loss on their products sold to pastors or seminarians. (More than simply taking a loss of profit would need to be involved here, but ... not to be pedantic... moving along). However, I doubt that they are doing that and not just any sale or discount would constitute it, especially given Bob Pritchett's answer linked to above. 

Nevertheless, as a good capitalist I'm all for people recognizing the way corporations and free trading (*cough*) make their lives better. Wink

Posts 600
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 8:50 AM

Please count me in the column of those who are continually grateful for all the free books and large sales disounts.

But here's another thought: what about the impact on the global Church of a for-profit, closely held, family company that ventures to provide cutting edge digital tools in six languages? I know, we'd all like the software to operate "better" (which seems to mean "perfectly, without flaws), as if that's going to happen in this age. But those of us who have been blessed with a few decades of life are still awed by how much of what is attempted actually works so well most of the time. And as for what doesn't work well yet, a person's or a company's "reach should exceed their grasp", which is called striving.

You know folks, we sometimes get pretty strident while registering our views on these fora. (Note the "we".Big Smile) May the peace of Christ overcome us.

Posts 17906
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 9:26 AM

Profitable businesses stay in business. Profit = Revenue - Expenses. On 1 Nov 2012, Bob Pritchett (CEO) included profit margin insight => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/58026/413124.aspx#413124

Bob Pritchett:

Jacques:
He feels they should be ashamed for this kind of profit-margin, it's not reasonable.

What would a reasonable profit margin be? What profit margin does your friend think Logos has?

For what it's worth, I got our third-quarter financials earlier this week. For 2012 so far, the Logos profit margin was just about 0.38%. (Not 38%. Less than half of one percent.

Now I'm not looking for sympathy -- we're fine. It's better than that most years, and the first three quarters of this year reflect a lot of investment in Logos 5 that hadn't yet generated any revenue. (That's what we're doing now!) I expect we'll end the year with solid single-digit profitability, and we've beaten that in the past.

But the point is, we have to sell something in order to be here to serve you into the future. It's insanely expensive to develop software, especially when you have to develop the same software on Mac, Windows, Android/Kindle, iPhone/iPad, Web (and now Windows 8 RT!) simultaneously. While offering free support.

So I'll take the criticism that we're always trying to sell you more books -- it's true, and it's the only way we get paid. Though, at every upgrade cycle, it does condemn us to a lot of impassioned forum conversations about the injustice of upgrade bundles. :-)

I do welcome your input on a solution. Maybe the "free software" concept was a bad idea? Few other products I have have been offering free engine updates -- in any form -- since 1995. I've bought Word, Excel, Windows, Mac OS, etc. many times in those 17 years. Should Logos just move to paid upgrades, and stop making so many books? (It might be hard to make that change after all these years, but it's an interesting question.)

I appreciate your investing in our product, and I hope that you'll continue to believe it has been a good investment. And I want you to know that we're working hard to serve you better AND ensure that we're here for decades to come to support the investment you have made. Input on how to do that is always welcome.

(My favorite idea... just convince every Christian in America to pay $3 per month... then we could offer everybody all the content, support, and continued maintenance for a very low price! The only trick is getting everyone signed up at once...) :-)

-- Bob

Thankful for Logos 8 & Verbum 8 upgrade bundles Big Smile along with generous offer to give away Logos 7 & Verbum 7 Fundamentals to friends of upgrade purchasers plus $ 100 back to first time buyers. Thankful for "profitable" funding of gifts to many people now plus looking forward to expanding user community.

After BibleWorks announced going out of business earlier this year, Bob Pritchett started thread => Faithlife and Logos Bible Software: Here for the long haul!

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 12:14 PM

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS