What version of the Bible are you planning to read in 2019?

Page 1 of 3 (48 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 8571
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 31 2018 7:49 AM

I would think that many of us on the forums discipline ourselves to read through the Bible in a year. I know that this has been my practice since I was a young man. Over the past number of years I've made it my goal to read a new version every year. I just finished the Christian Standard Bible (CSB) in 2018 and would highly recommend it to anyone who has not read it. But I have not yet decided what version to read in 2019 and was wondering what others are planning.

What version of the Bible are you planning to read in 2019 and why did you choose it?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 5867
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2018 9:36 AM

CSB! Ditto 👍😁👌

Posts 2197
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2018 9:49 AM

Last time I read the Bible in a Year was 2006.  I read 3 bibles at the same time: the KJV, the NASB and the Apostles' Bible.  I compared the readings of each. In the OT I had two translated from the Hebrew and one from the Greek.  In the NT I had one each from the TR, Majority and the Critical text translated into English.  I have not had time to read the Bible in a Year since as I am still reviewing the notes that I left for myself in that reading.    

Posts 222
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2018 10:53 AM

I have read NIV, ESV and CSB in recent years so it is time for NASB. I am willing to give it a try since I have the Paragraph version. The non-paragraph version was a show stopper because I don't like a new line for each verse.

Happy and Blessed New Year to all!

-john

Posts 2729
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2018 11:01 AM

New Cambridge Paragraph Bible w/the Apocrypha (NCPB). The 1st time really giving any thought to the Apocrypha.

Posts 11
Stephen Ekeroth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2018 11:17 AM

I too read a new version each year. This year it will be the Christian Standard Bible (CSB) using the M''Cheyne reading plan because it brings you through the Old Testament once and the New Testament and Psalms twice. My routine is to read through the text in the selected translation, highlighting selections for further study in multiple translations using the text comparison feature. I decided on the CSB this year because our pastor favors that translation.

Posts 86
William McFarland | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2018 11:28 AM

In 2018 it was the NASB for 2019 I'm planning on CSB.

Posts 8571
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 5:29 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. It doesn't surprise me that many of you are going to read the CSB. Having just finished it I know you will enjoy it. It is a solid version.

I still have a few hours to decide but right now I'm leaning toward the NET Bible. Has anyone read it through it a year before?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8571
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 5:36 AM

David Ames:

Last time I read the Bible in a Year was 2006.  I read 3 bibles at the same time: the KJV, the NASB and the Apostles' Bible.  I compared the readings of each. In the OT I had two translated from the Hebrew and one from the Greek.  In the NT I had one each from the TR, Majority and the Critical text translated into English.  I have not had time to read the Bible in a Year since as I am still reviewing the notes that I left for myself in that reading.    

David, your reading plan sounds amazing. I hope I didn't imply that I thought that one should read the Bible through in a year. For the last few years I've also added reading my Greek NT through in a year and last year I did it out loud which was a great exercise as I seldom hear it spoken. I'm not as good at Hebrew but this year I've decided to try to read at least one verse a day although I have not decided how that is going to work.

On the subject of reading the Bible through in a year, a number of years ago I found that it was become too rote for me as I'd done it each year since I was 14 years old so I stopped reading for 3 or 4 months and just did sporadic reading. I was so hungry to read it through again that I made it a goal continue. Whatever keeps us in the Scriptures and, more importantly, close to Jesus is best and each of us must determine what that is.

Posts 481
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 5:38 AM

I've been working through the REB (Revised English Bible) since it was completely unfamiliar to me. I'm using the 52 Week Reading Plan, although it's taking me longer than a year since I'm grossly behind. I guess I'm effectively on a 2 year plan. lol

Posts 17
F. Allen Rasnake | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 5:39 AM

I am planning on reading the MEV this year.

Posts 2197
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 5:57 AM

Bruce Dunning:

David, your reading plan sounds amazing. I hope I didn't imply that I thought that one should read the Bible through in a year. .

Several of my church friends do read the bible each and every year.  I have done it twice [read the Amplified Bible the first time] 

Over time I have added verses from the Jesuit Douay-Rheims Pre Bishop Challoner and the NET versions [and others] to my notes from my prior study so I have keep active.  

I do teach the everyone at some time needs to read the whole Bible for themselves from cover to cover.  You can not take somebody else's word: you need to see it for yourself.  

Posts 8571
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 6:25 AM

F. Allen Rasnake:

I am planning on reading the MEV this year.

I actually don't own that version (yet) but I'm interested in it. After you have had a chance to read it for a while I'd appreciate a review.

For anyone else that is not familiar with it here is the link - https://www.logos.com/product/43990/modern-english-version

Posts 8571
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 6:26 AM

David Ames:
I do teach the everyone at some time needs to read the whole Bible for themselves from cover to cover.  You can not take somebody else's word: you need to see it for yourself.  

Excellent advice.

Posts 993
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 6:44 AM

Kiyah:
I've been working through the REB (Revised English Bible) since it was completely unfamiliar to me. I'm using the 52 Week Reading Plan, although it's taking me longer than a year since I'm grossly behind. I guess I'm effectively on a 2 year plan. lol

I'm also starting to read the REB with Apocrypha on a two year plan.* I've read the NEB before, long ago. I'm doing the REB now mostly for variety and to see what they did with the rearrangement of verses in some places in the OT. I've got it in a multi-view layout with the NEB and the NASB (for literalness and quick access to the underlying text). I do try to read the Apocrypha/Deuterocanonicals once every few years.

*I'm also close to completing a (slightly less than) two year project of reading a commentary along with each book of the New Testament; I just have John's letters and Revelation left. That, by far, has been the profitable thing I've ever done in terms of personal Bible study. I've been able sample a lot of different commentary sets due to Faithlife's sales and free book of the month samples. The best in my view has been the Pillar New Testament Commentary. A number of times after reading a random volume I don't have in a set, I wished I had just read Pillar instead.

The experience has been so enjoyable that I plan on starting in the Old Testament right after I finish, though I don't have nearly as many OT commentaries.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 440
Rodney Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 6:51 AM

ABP.   But probably wont be able to complete it in a year..  Just came across it a few weeks ago and its very interesting to me..

Wish Logos could get the ABP and all its resources all linked together.. That would be a dream..  

Posts 481
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 7:12 AM

Sean:

I'm also starting to read the REB with Apocrypha on a two year plan.* I've read the NEB before, long ago. I'm doing the REB now mostly for variety and to see what they did with the rearrangement of verses in some places in the OT. I've got it in a multi-view layout with the NEB and the NASB (for literalness and quick access to the underlying text). I do try to read the Apocrypha/Deuterocanonicals once every few years.

Did you manually create the reading plan or are you using one of Logos' predefined plans? One thing I didn't think about when starting the 52 Week Reading Plan for the REB is that the plan does not include the Apocrypha. I may at some point do a reading plan for just the Apocrypha. I was supposed to read them in seminary but we have to read things on such a condensed schedule in seminary and I may have skipped most of those readings since we were never tested on them. Somehow the professor let one of the students talk him out of including the Apocrypha on the final exam (it wasn't me lol). It saved us time and stress during finals but probably did us a disservice in the long run. I was actually shocked that the professor actually agreed to that.

Posts 956
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 7:20 AM

Bruce Dunning:

I would think that many of us on the forums discipline ourselves to read through the Bible in a year. I know that this has been my practice since I was a young man. Over the past number of years I've made it my goal to read a new version every year. I just finished the Christian Standard Bible (CSB) in 2018 and would highly recommend it to anyone who has not read it. But I have not yet decided what version to read in 2019 and was wondering what others are planning.

What version of the Bible are you planning to read in 2019 and why did you choose it?

I've adopted this practice, thanks to you, and so far I've done the LEB (2015), NIV (2017), and MEV (2018). I'm doing the CSB this year as I've heard great things about it.

Posts 993
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 7:25 AM

Kiyah:
Did you manually create the reading plan or are you using one of Logos' predefined plans?

I never use Logos's plans but always choose the second reading plan option, "Generate a Reading Plan," setting my own start date and how long I want the plan to go. If you choose "Entire Bible" as the range, it will include the Apocrypha if the version has it.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 481
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 7:30 AM

Sean:

Kiyah:
Did you manually create the reading plan or are you using one of Logos' predefined plans?

I never use Logos's plans but always choose the second reading plan option, "Generate a Reading Plan," setting my own start date and how long I want the plan to go. If you choose "Entire Bible" as the range, it will include the Apocrypha if the version has it.

Yes

Page 1 of 3 (48 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS