NASB Footnotes and MS Word

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 42
Matt Barker | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 30 2010 11:22 PM

For some reason, when I copy text from the NASB, it doesn't add the footnote references in MS Word. It does if I paste the exact same copied reference into Pages.

As a test, I also copied text from The Message and it pasted in just fine, adding the footnote reference.

Using:
Mac OS X 10.6.3
Logos 4 A20

Posts 115
Tony Kissell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 4:54 AM

Both NASB and NASB95 pastes into MS Word, with footnotes,  just fine for me.

Using:

Mac OS X 10.6.3

Logos 4 A20

Posts 42
Matt Barker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 5:04 AM

Very strange indeed - especially considering that I just recently started from a fresh hard drive, installing EVERYTHING, including Logos 4 and Office 2008 from scratch. Wonder why it is different for you and not me. When I paste the NASB95 (that is what I use primarily) into anything other than Word, it creates the footnotes, but nothing in Word.

Posts 429
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 6:04 AM

Could it be some sort of setting in Word which is preventing it?

Posts 429
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 6:06 AM

I've just tried it and it works fine for me as well.

Posts 435
Lewis Harper | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 6:21 AM

Matt,  did you go to copy bible verses, open it  and select your preferred word processor?

Posts 435
Lewis Harper | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 6:31 AM

Here is a screen shot.

Posts 42
Matt Barker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 6:40 AM

All right - you got me - how do you even get there?

Posts 42
Matt Barker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 6:41 AM

Okay, I found it. Mine was already set to Fully Formatted from NASB95 to Microsoft Word.

Posts 42
Matt Barker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 6:45 AM

Tried a few others:

Works:
The Message
The NET Bible

Doesn't Work:
NASB95
KJV
NKJV 

Posts 435
Lewis Harper | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 6:46 AM

Matt, go to tools and open Copy Bible Verses.  It should open  in side panel, there you will be able to select different coping formats as well as your word processor.  Hope this helps

Posts 435
Lewis Harper | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 6:50 AM

Matt, if it works for some Bibles but not all, you might need to post your logs and have the Mac team take a look at them.

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 6:57 AM

Seems like the texts with reverse interlinears are giving you trouble. I'd suggest posting your logs as Lewis said.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 42
Matt Barker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 7:37 AM

Logs attached.

5238.Archive.zip

Posts 115
Tony Kissell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 1:18 PM

OK,

Doing a copy and paste of NASB into Word using the "Copy Bible Verses" under the Tools menu does NOT paste the footnotes into MS Word, but doing it "manually" by highlighting the passage and right clicking and selecting copy then going to Word and selecting paste does give you the footnotes.

The "Copy Bible Verses" does give footnotes when using NIV

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 3:56 PM

In A20, appears 2 buttons deliver different results:

Hence wondering about "Copy & Paste" functionality for Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac Version 12.2.4 ?  "Copy & Paste" to Pages appears awesome - if Pages not open, new blank document opens with passage and footnotes.  If Pages open, pastes into existing document at cursor insertion point (passage and footnotes).

By the way, checking console messages found:

31-5-10 31 May 10 @ 6:28:38 PM [0x0-0x57a57a].com.logos.Logos_Bible_Software_4[19883] sh: /tmp/test: Permission denied

Turns out: /tmp linked to /private/tmp - on same computer, tried running Logos 4 as 2 users.  File /private/tmp/test left over from other account - deleted file - quit Logos 4 - started A20 - choose recent layout - changed reference to match posting - tried "Copy & Paste" to Word 2008 again - looked at Logos4.log and console messages - noticed /tmp/test message not repeat, but did find /private/tmp/test file.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 115
Tony Kissell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 4:29 PM

On my system clicking on copy will insert the passage into Word, but not the footnotes

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 6:55 PM

Tony Kissell:

On my system clicking on copy will insert the passage into Word, but not the footnotes

Living and learning - "Copy Bible Verses" - Copy - switch to Word - Paste:

New Word Document - Edit - Paste Special - Formatted Text (RTF):

Word 2008 has NASB 95 Footnotes:

Likewise learned Word 2008 has option to convert footnotes to endnotes (insert footnote => option => convert).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 42
Matt Barker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 8:13 PM

Tony Kissell:

doing it "manually" by highlighting the passage and right clicking and selecting copy then going to Word and selecting paste does give you the footnotes.

This is how I have done it all along. Again, this worked for me before (starting from the initial Alpha through the upgrades), but not after the new install (started at A19, updated to A20).

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS