Missing results in A-F syntax search using user-defined search field

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 110
Philip E. Sumpter | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 31 2010 9:40 AM

I've invested a fair amount of time into typing up search fields for the A-F syntax search and have noticed that I'm not getting correct returns on my searches. They work fine in the other searches (Bible, Morphology etc.), just not in the syntax search. 

Here's the image:

I've created a category called "confessional formulas" and to test it I searched for a segment with יהוה in it. I should get 10 hits. Instead I get 3.

For example, if you look on the bottom right in the "search range" box, you'll see that I've typed in Ps 71:1. This verse contains the segment יהוה. The closest I get in my results (top left) is Ps 140:7 (and 6 other results are missing). I did the search again. limiting the search to the Psalms and not to my formula and got the verse (bottom left). As I mentioned above, I also searched in morphology and Bible using my personal search field and got the verses (i.e. the fault doesn't lie with the way I've constructed my search field).

I should add to this that syntax searches also don't work in passage lists, but Dave Hooten has already alerted about the bug. 

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 10:14 PM

I understand that "confessional formulas" is a Passage List but what are its contents?

I also understand that Ps 71.1 is not listed in a Syntax Search for יהוה Yahweh with range Psalm 71 whereas it is listed in a similar Morph Search. I'll add that to the wiki report!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 110
Philip E. Sumpter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 11:10 PM

Hi Dave,

to clarify: "confessional formulas" is not a Passage List (I didn't create a Passage List because syntax search doesn't work in Passages Lists ... until the bug is fixed at least!), I manually typed in each verse into the "reference range" box that appears when one wishes to create a new reference range. You can see it on the bottom right hand corner. I should have a put a red arrow on the image. If you read the title I gave it: FOTL: Confessional Formulas, it is above the "ula" of the last word (sorry for that). As such it is a normal search field. 

I should also add that the syntax does find Ps 71:1 when I change the search range (again, using the drop down window on the right, the one which appears within the syntax query window) to "Psalms" (i.e. the whole book). In fact, in the image, this second range is highlighted in blue in the drop down window. I have included the results in the second search window, where you can see Ps 71:1.  It only doesn't find it when I use my own custom made search field ("confessional formulas"). This field does work in morphology. 

Oddly enough, I tried again, limiting the search range to just Ps 71 (as you did) and the first verse didn't appear (though I got two other verses)! How odd. It does make me wonder how much I should trust the results I get at this stage, given that I'm using it for my doctorate. 

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 1 2010 2:25 AM

PhilipESumpter:
If you read the title I gave it: FOTL: Confessional Formulas, it is above the "ula" of the last word (sorry for that). As such it is a normal search field. 

Ok - see that now!

PhilipESumpter:
Oddly enough, I tried again, limiting the search range to just Ps 71 (as you did) and the first verse didn't appear (though I got two other verses)! How odd. It does make me wonder how much I should trust the results I get at this stage, given that I'm using it for my doctorate.

Keep to Books for a range & avoid Chapter/Verse.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2010 6:14 AM

Dave Hooton:

PhilipESumpter:

Keep to Books for a range & avoid Chapter/Verse.

I thought this was fixed in 4.1 beta but the issue with Ps 71 still exists!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS