Saving Guide Results

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 31 2010 12:33 PM

One thing I'd like to see is the ability to save search results or guide results as a file of links, or some such. The idea here is that I use guides, quite often, as a "starting point" for researching sets of Scriptures. It's hard for me to remember what I've looked at and what I've not--and it's a pain to lose the guide and have to back and rebuild it from time to time (like when I switch layouts).

What would be nice is to be able to save the guide or search off as a file, like a clipping or note, and then delete things as I get through them, so I could work on the results until the list is empty. If you do this today, it actually changes your guide template, or you lose the changes when you change layouts, etc.

Maybe this doesn't hit other folks so hard, but I normally get well over a thousand hits in any "guide" I pull up, so being able to organize my progress through them would be really really useful. I suppose I could somehow copy the entire set of guide results into a "favorites" folder, and then delete them as I go through them, but I don't see a way to do a mass copy of this sort today.

Thoughts?

:-)

Russ

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 12:36 PM

Have you tried saving your guide (to specific passage) as a favorite?

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 12:39 PM

Evidence and the Word is that this type of functionality is coming. Currently in the Beta Note files and some other things can be exported as RTF so that they can be opened in Word. Not only that, but the hyperlinks are preserved. It has been suggested that this ability (at least I think and hope its this ability)  may be available for Guides, and hopefully searches, in the next Beta.

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 12:45 PM

Russ White:
What would be nice is to be able to save the guide or search off as a file, like a clipping or note, and then delete things as I get through them, so I could work on the results until the list is empty.

Guides can be saved by giving it a name or adding a note to one of the sections. You can also view a list of all your saved guides. To do so create a guide template that shows ONLY the "My content" section. If you have any other section open you are going to cause problems with the next step.

Run the guide and set the range for Gen-Rev. Unfortunately this will also show all your notes, filters, etc. But it can be helpful.

Also when you run a guide for a passage, if you have a saved guide that intersects that range it will appear at the top in the "see also" section.

Posts 26999
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 12:47 PM

Russ White:
If you do this today, it actually changes your guide template, or you lose the changes when you change layouts, etc.

Are you sure? This isn't the behavior I've been getting when I have saved the Guide. Have you given your guide on the passage a title so that it will be saved? Could you describe the step you take when the template itself changes?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 2:47 PM

How do you change the name of a guide? You can't go to the top and change it, that I can see, and you can't change it in the guide menu.

So, suppose I have a guide template, and open a new guide using that template. I input a scripture to use, and let it do its thing. Not knowing how to rename it, I leave it open in a tab.. Now, if I remove a resource or section, the next time I create a new guide based on that guide template, that section or resource is missing. I assume this would be "fixed" if I could name the guide, but I've no idea where I would do that.

Russ

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 2:51 PM

Okay, I created a guide template with just the "my content" section, and it shows one guide I've apparently saved--but I've no idea how I saved it, how to change the name, or how to delete it now that it's there.

Russ

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 2:56 PM

Russ White:

How do you change the name of a guide? You can't go to the top and change it, that I can see, and you can't change it in the guide menu.

So, suppose I have a guide template, and open a new guide using that template. I input a scripture to use, and let it do its thing. Not knowing how to rename it, I leave it open in a tab.. Now, if I remove a resource or section, the next time I create a new guide based on that guide template, that section or resource is missing. I assume this would be "fixed" if I could name the guide, but I've no idea where I would do that.

Russ

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 2:58 PM

Russ White:

Okay, I created a guide template with just the "my content" section, and it shows one guide I've apparently saved--but I've no idea how I saved it, how to change the name, or how to delete it now that it's there.

Russ

Guides are saved when you give them a name or add a note. there may be some other things that causes a guide to be saved. above you should see how to save a guide. You can change the name the same way. To delete a guide see below

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 3:03 PM

Russ White:

Russ

Russ,

to do anything to a saved PG, you have to open it....so click on the guide that your "my content" guide showed...and it will open.

Then click the little black arrow under the  icon on the left side and choose "delete this guide" if you want to delete it, or "edit guide template" if you want to rename it.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 4:03 PM

Robert Pavich:
Then click the little black arrow under the  icon on the left side and choose "delete this guide" if you want to delete it, or "edit guide template" if you want to rename it.

Just to clarify, Edit Guide Template does not allow you to rename the guide. It allows you to change the template that underlies the current guide. To rename it, you have to do it from within the guide.

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 4:42 PM

You can save search results in 'Favourites'. I've been doing this since Logos 3.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 5:01 PM

Philip Spitzer:
Just to clarify, Edit Guide Template does not allow you to rename the guide. It allows you to change the template that underlies the current guide. To rename it, you have to do it from within the guide.

Phillip,

Ahh...good point...I hadn't thought of the difference.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2010 5:47 PM

Aha! Thanks for the help... I'll try this and see how it works.

Russ

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS