What are Ranked, By Resource, By Count?

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 55
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 25 2019 7:31 PM

I watched at the video of Logos 8 about search, but it did not show the following. So, I am asking anyone who answers. Thanks very much.

Using SEARCH, I saw Ranked, By Resource, By Count. Could anyone tell me what those 3 terms mean?

Is there search By Date (from recent to past dates of publication)?

Posts 30869
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2019 7:41 PM

Ordering Search Results

Basic search results can be ordered in one of three ways:

• Ranked: Sorts search results in order of relevance.
• By Resource: Sorts search results alphabetically by title, then sequentially by chapter or article.
• By Count: Sorts search results according to the total number of occurrences in each resource (descending).
• Search results in both By Resource and By Count are expandable and collapsible by resource. Click a resource cover or title to expand/collapse.

Verbum Help (Bellingham, WA: Faithlife, 2018).

ranked is basically a density formula.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 55
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2019 8:59 PM

What is the difference between density and raw count? 

Posts 30869
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2019 10:04 PM

raw count is a simple count of matches

density the the count of matches divided by the total number of words ...the actual formula is usually a bit more complex

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 55
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2019 10:54 PM

I suggested more than one time that there should be “By date” (from the newest date of publication of the article/book to the oldest). To be a real writer or scholar, the foremost thing is to see who recently has mentioned the content of the search, and then he/she can compare which mention is important or valuable. For Logos to add “By date”, it seems not difficult for them, since every article/book has its date.

Unfortunately, my suggestion has fallen to deaf ears. How do all you Logos-users see? Why don’t you think “By date” is very important?

Posts 55
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2019 11:06 PM

In addition, I would say that EVEN IF from the search I have got an article of good raw count and density, but it's publication date could be 200-300 years old. Why should I use it before I know some new contents though with the raw count and density not so good? This is why "By date" is very important.

Posts 30869
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2019 11:22 PM

Theo Lau:
Why don’t you think “By date” is very important?

I suspect many of us do consider it important. But those of us who learned research skills before electronic formats have developed our own ways of paying attention to dates. We don't expect books and articles to be readily available by the date originally written. And we use date originally written as a "their research includes nothing after this date and uses no concepts not developed by this date".

You are always free to add the suggestion to user voice and encourage Logos/Verbum users to support it.

Posts 30869
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2019 11:26 PM

Theo Lau:
it seems not difficult for them, since every article/book has its date.

Logos generally doesn't have original publication date and many of my resource lack even a publication date.

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 26 2019 2:00 AM

Theo Lau:
I suggested more than one time that there should be “By date” (from the newest date of publication of the article/book to the oldest).

I agree that this is needed. The workaround solutions are cumbersome.

Posts 4705
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 26 2019 3:52 PM

MJ. Smith:
Theo Lau:
it seems not difficult for them, since every article/book has its date.
Logos generally doesn't have original publication date and many of my resource lack even a publication date.

Well over 90% of my resources sort with a publication date in Library view. Now if only I knew how to run searches that limited results based on the publication date of resources in question.

"The saints are the true interpreters of Holy Scripture. The meaning of a given passage of the Bible becomes most intelligible in those human beings who have been totally transfixed by it and have lived it out." - Pope Benedict XVI

Posts 30869
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 26 2019 4:08 PM

SineNomine:
Now if only I knew how to run searches that limited results based on the publication date of resources in question.

Have you tried something like pubdate:> 1950 

Posts 4705
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 26 2019 4:44 PM

MJ. Smith:

SineNomine:
Now if only I knew how to run searches that limited results based on the publication date of resources in question.

Have you tried something like pubdate:> 1950 

And now I know! Thanks, MJ.

EDIT: It works in Library view, but seemingly not in a standard Search.

"The saints are the true interpreters of Holy Scripture. The meaning of a given passage of the Bible becomes most intelligible in those human beings who have been totally transfixed by it and have lived it out." - Pope Benedict XVI

Posts 30869
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 26 2019 6:47 PM

SineNomine:
EDIT: It works in Library view, but seemingly not in a standard Search.

Correct. I believe, however, without testing that it works in Collections which allows you to use it, in effect, in a Search.

Posts 2436
LogosEmployee

Use it in a search by entering the filter in the area where you select which books you want to search.

Posts 30869
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 26 2019 8:40 PM

Thanks Andrew ... sometimes I miss the obvious. I appreciate that you've got an eye on it.

Posts 55
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2019 11:15 PM

Does “pubdate:>1950” mean all publications later than 1950?

If so, if I want to search נֶפֶשׁ OR ψυχή in all journals with “pubdate:>1950”, how to do it? Could anyone show me step by step?

Posts 30869
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2019 11:54 PM

Theo Lau:
Could anyone show me step by step?

For the publication date restriction, assuming a basic search not a Bible search ... but I'm not certain on the Greek and Hebrew outside Bibles:
1. Choose search type

2. Click to define collection to be search

3. Enter the date selection

4. Choose the collection offered below

5. Then enter your search terms as usual

Posts 19121
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2019 1:04 AM

Theo Lau:

Does “pubdate:>1950” mean all publications later than 1950?

If so, if I want to search נֶפֶשׁ OR ψυχή in all journals with “pubdate:>1950”, how to do it? Could anyone show me step by step?

Basically, any rule you can make up for defining a collection can be used in the Search In box. So you'd do it this way.

Posts 55
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2019 3:38 AM

I tried Rosie's method in the following screen shot, but many times it gave 0 results. (Does this mean such Logos search is faulty?) 

I cannot follow MJ. Smith's method, for I am a baby. So, would MJ. Smith tell me the website for me to learn more before I follow your method? 

Posts 11343
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2019 3:54 AM

Your screenshot seems to show that you are searching only BibSac Vol 165. You need to click the line that says xxx resources with...

If you want to use that regularly it may help to build a permanent collection with your rule and search that.

if you could post your search string (and even better: search aim!), people could run it and discuss ways of achieving the result. 

Hope this helps  

EDIT: Since such searches always are dependent of one's library, I ran part of your last example against my library, to see whether it returns zero just for the scarcity of hits. I got 8 for g:psyche in my 114 journal resources published this century

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS