How to Search Writings from a Specific Church Father?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 67
FrMoses | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 1 2019 9:49 AM

Peace, brethren,

I am trying to create a collection or custom search for the purpose of searching through the writings of a specific Church Father, such as St. Athanasius. It's easy enough to add monographs that contain only writings of St. Athanasius in the collection, but how can we handle collections, such as the NPNF series in which each volume might contain the writings of 10+ Church Fathers? I don't want to search the whole volume, but instead, just the writings of that particular Father.

Does Logos tag NPNF by author? If so, how to include that tag in a custom collection or search?

Thank you kindly

I use Verbum with an 8-Core Mac Pro (2013) and a MacBook Pro (2017)

Posts 29590
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 1:50 PM

One can't do it with complete accuracy - but it does handle volumes with multiple authors - in defining what to search type: author:Athanasius then select the offered temporary collection giving you ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18899
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 3:22 PM

MJ. Smith:

One can't do it with complete accuracy - but it does handle volumes with multiple offers - in defining what to search type: author:Athanasius then select the offered temporary collection giving you ...

I tried doing that and then clicking the triangle to open the results in "Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers 2.4: St. Athanasius..." (the one with 267 results, which was the only one of those two that I have in my library) and Logos hung forever with "Loading..." showing for each of the results. I had to shut it down eventually. I'll report it separately as a bug. But I was trying to check whether they actually filter the results by author section in such multi-author works, or whether they merely are able to pick up that that book is partly by Athanasius and thus include it in the list of books being searched. I suspected the latter, but was not able to verify due to this bug.

Posts 2358
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 3:25 PM

There is an Early Church Father Table of Contents in Word format that can be made into a personal book. I have it and it works well within the ECF volumes. Here is the link:

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/38085/285076.aspx#285076

Posts 67
FrMoses | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 4:14 PM

Thanks, John, this is quite useful for browsing the Early Church Fathers collection! How do you use it to search only specific Church Fathers, though?

Posts 67
FrMoses | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 4:26 PM

Thanks, MJ. This is definitely a good start, but as you noted, imperfect, because it still searches the entire NPNF volume with ALL of the Church Fathers' writings in that volume.

I think the answer lies in milestones, but it needs some further development from the Logos team. We have this wonderful list of datatypes of the Church Fathers here:

https://wiki.logos.com/Author_Datatypes

...but, unfortunately, have to specify author AND individual work in a milestone. If the wonderful Logos engineers can enable wildcard searching so we can search through ALL works of an author datatype, it would be absolutely perfect.

Posts 16
Thomas Toews | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 15 2020 8:09 PM

John Fidel:

There is an Early Church Father Table of Contents in Word format that can be made into a personal book. I have it and it works well within the ECF volumes. Here is the link:

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/38085/285076.aspx#285076

Do you know how to create a bibliography like this to export?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS