Creating/Using Collections

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 24 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 5 2019 9:52 AM

Robert S Stramski:
Thank you Mark.....something else that is a little confusing - if I add ONE commentary in a set (old or new testament) to a collection; or if I tag it; will it pick them all up if change books and passages? I know this is true with linking but does it apply here as well?

Tags: You need to tag every book in the series.

Collections: You either need to manually drag every book in the series into the collection, or specify the name of the series in the rule (e.g. {Series "3:16 Bible Commentary Series"}).

Prioritisation: When you drag a book into prioritisation, it defaults to adding the series, not the individual resource, although as Mike says, you can change that on a case-by-case basis, as you wish.

Robert S Stramski:

And what is an "intermediate" commentary"? I know I'm showing my ignorance but I might as well get it all out front. Ha!

I define all my terms in the long post I linked to. Specifically:

Typically, intermediate commentaries will discuss the meaning of the Bible text, in a serious but not overly-academic way. If they discuss Greek and Hebrew words, those words will be transliterated, and there will be little grammatical analysis. They may acknowledge different interpretations of a passage, but probably only in footnotes. There may be some application for the contemporary church, but that won’t be a main emphasis.

Posts 38
Robert S Stramski | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2019 2:50 PM

I have another quick question that I will ask here unless it gets moved - Is there any harm in hiding resources I am never going to use? For example, apparatus(us) ha! I am starting to go through my library and have decided to move things out that I know I will never use. If another resource uses a resource I hide (I think I'm not supposed to hide datasets) will Logos still access that resource even though it is hidden?

Robert

Posts 26544
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2019 3:02 PM

Robert S Stramski:
Is there any harm in hiding resources I am never going to use?

No, Logos will not access a hidden access. There is no harm to the software but there may be great harm to the user. You are hiding information that you CURRENTLY don't use.  You may even make sections of guides, Factbook, and workflow have no data or fail to work as intended. You keep yourself from being exposed to it and learning to use it. You stifle your own potential for growth.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8953
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2019 5:16 PM

MJ. Smith:

Robert S Stramski:
Is there any harm in hiding resources I am never going to use?

No, Logos will not access a hidden access. There is no harm to the software but there may be great harm to the user. You are hiding information that you CURRENTLY don't use.  You may even make sections of guides, Factbook, and workflow have no data or fail to work as intended. You keep yourself from being exposed to it and learning to use it. You stifle your own potential for growth.

That is an excellent summary MJ.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 38
Robert S Stramski | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2019 6:45 PM

Yes! I agree!! I was talking along the line of resources in non-English language. I can’t read Greek or Hebrew and don’t plan on looking at those fragments of the s rolls and such. I didn’t see a need for those in the library. But now after that excellent response I am thinking twice!!

ronert

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS