AYBC Sale... help picking some

Page 1 of 5 (81 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 80 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 3308
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 8 2019 11:11 AM

So there is an AYBC sale going on at the moment.  I don't have any AYBCs and I've had people tell me to stay away from them because they tend to lean on the liberal side.  Anyone have any thoughts on "must haves"?  There are quite a few ranked high on Best Commentaries but I know that rating system isn't the best at times.  Thanks in advance

https://www.logos.com/anchor-yale-bible-sale 

Posts 3173
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 11:18 AM

Like everything we read. Always with a critical eye.

These are great commentaries. Yeah I may not lean toward some 'liberal' tendancies in them, but I'm certainly not going to NOT buy a commentary(s) just because the author may be "off" according to my theology. So much good stuff in them from linquistics, history, background, etc.

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/178611.aspx

mm.

mm.

Posts 3308
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 11:32 AM

Thanks MM.  I'm leaning towards the Leviticus ones but of course there is 3 so that is $60 right there!

Posts 3173
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 12:33 PM

Yes, but if you can afford it that's a big savings. Especially if you "need" them for study. [who really NEEDS more books though?].

As for me? I don't need anymore books. I simply want them. Do I really need 15 or 20 commentaries/monographs etc on Romans? or 20 or so books on Genesis? No!

But alas, I am a confessing bookaholic Sad Big Smile.

Now to wait for the next big sale on Commentaries and especially on John and the book of Revelation. Can't wait. 

mm.

Posts 654
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 12:56 PM

They are very scholarly and thorough commentaries that are helpful even if you personally are not "liberal" (whatever that means to you). They work in the original languages, provide their own translation, have extensive introductions with background and outlines, address all of the major issues in the text you need to be aware of, and have in-depth verse-by-verse discussion. And you can mine their very extensive bibliographies for more resources. They aren't for casual bible study but are great if you're doing in-depth research on a text.

As for must haves, I'd say the ones on Romans and 1 Corinthians by Joseph Fitzmyer would rank high, and anything by Luke Timothy Johnson. As you said, bestcommenaries.com will show you which ones are the best ones in the series. Since I'm studying Hebrews right now I'm thinking about getting that volume, which is ranked pretty high on bestcommentaries.com. Although I also want Luke Timothy Johnson's volume on James (I used that one in seminary for a paper and it was extremely helpful).

These commentaries are not just used by "liberals," they are for scholars and students in general (i.e. they are for academic use). Scholars that would identify as more "conservative" use them and site them in their own work. Seminary students are expected to consult this series for their exegesis papers since the series is so thorough, scholarly, and respected. It's a quality series, and of course you don't have to agree with everything you read. As has already been said, just read critically as you would/should read anything else. But they are excellent resources even if for the original translations, introductions, outlines, and bibliographies. But the commentary itself is extremely helpful. I'd recommend picking up a couple volumes from the NT and OT for you to get a good sampling. Try the OT volumes on Isaiah and Ezekiel, I've used those for school on two big exegesis papers and they were great.

Posts 654
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 1:01 PM

Actually, if you can afford it, the whole New Testament set is on sale for almost 50% off, whereas the whole series is not as big of a sale (only 20%). I own 4 NT volumes already and the price of the whole NT set is just $465.26 for me.

https://www.logos.com/product/51762/anchor-yale-bible-new-testament

If I had the money I'd get the whole NT set, but alas I'll only be able to get 1 volume.

Posts 3308
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 1:01 PM

Wow thanks for that! I would agree it is good to read a broad range as well so I'll dip my toes in the aybc water.

Posts 118
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 1:13 PM

Mattillo:
So there is an AYBC sale going on at the moment.  I don't have any AYBCs and I've had people tell me to stay away from them because they tend to lean on the liberal side.  Anyone have any thoughts on "must haves"?  There are quite a few ranked high on Best Commentaries but I know that rating system isn't the best at times.  Thanks in advance

1. Leviticus (Milgrom)
  2. Jonah (Sasson)
  3. Habakkuk (Anderson)
  4. Luke (Fitzmyer)
  5. Acts (Futzmyer)
  6. John (Brown)
  7. Romans (Fitzmyer)
  8. 1 Corinthians (Fitzmyer)
  9. Philemon (Fitzmyer)
  10. Ephesians (Barth)
  11. 1-3 John (Brown)
  12. Revelation (Koester)

I'm assuming the other volumes by Sasson would be good, although I have no firsthand knowledge. Same applies to the Zechariah volumes and some of the other minor prophets by Anderson, Freedman, and Hill. From what I hear, Fox on Proverbs is worth the price of admission.

I really don't understand why the 1-2 Samuel volumes are rated so highly.

Also, if you are studying the Apocryphal books, this set is one of the only ones to cover them in detail.

If you approach this set looking for background information and grammatical expertise, you will find a lot. For theology or practical applications to incorporate into sermons, no.

Posts 3308
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 1:15 PM

Thanks! That helps

Posts 800
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 2:27 PM

Kiyah:

They are very scholarly and thorough commentaries that are helpful even if you personally are not "liberal" (whatever that means to you). They work in the original languages, provide their own translation, have extensive introductions with background and outlines, address all of the major issues in the text you need to be aware of, and have in-depth verse-by-verse discussion. And you can mine their very extensive bibliographies for more resources. They aren't for casual bible study but are great if you're doing in-depth research on a text....Scholars that would identify as more "conservative" use them and site them in their own work....

Well stated, Kiyah. I can conceive of some folks being against "critical" (an unfortunate term, perhaps) approaches in general; I even know some. I'm even related to some! But otherwise, many of these volumes do a good job of getting the academic conversation started.

Posts 118
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 2:33 PM

Kiyah:
And you can mine their very extensive bibliographies for more resources.

Fitzmyer's commentary on Philemon comes to mind here. It remains the largest bibliography contained in volume on Philemon and is worth the price of the volume itself.

Posts 654
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 4:49 PM

Jonathan Ray:

1. Leviticus (Milgrom)
  2. Jonah (Sasson)
  3. Habakkuk (Anderson)
  4. Luke (Fitzmyer)
  5. Acts (Futzmyer)
  6. John (Brown)
  7. Romans (Fitzmyer)
  8. 1 Corinthians (Fitzmyer)
  9. Philemon (Fitzmyer)
  10. Ephesians (Barth)
  11. 1-3 John (Brown)
  12. Revelation (Koester)

So Jonathan, would you recommend the volume on Hebrews (also by Koester)? Or is it at least worth the $20 sale price?

Posts 118
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 4:58 PM

Kiyah:
So Jonathan, would you recommend the volume on Hebrews (also by Koester)? Or is it at least worth the $20 sale price?

I can't say firsthand, but Don Carson talks this commentary up a lot in his commentary evaluation book. He says it rivals Attridge (Hermeneia) and Lane (WBC) and is much better than deSilva's socio-rhetorical commentary. That is pretty high praise. I am tempted to pick this up myself.

Posts 654
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 5:20 PM

Jonathan Ray:

Kiyah:

I can't say firsthand, but Don Carson talks this commentary up a lot in his commentary evaluation book. He says it rivals Attridge (Hermeneia) and Lane (WBC) and is much better than deSilva's socio-rhetorical commentary. That is pretty high praise. I am tempted to pick this up myself.

Great! Thanks, I'll be picking that one up then.

Posts 10306
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 6:05 PM

Just adding, AYB was selective in author choices, for specific (peculiar?) skills.

If you enjoy Andersen-Forbes, the 4 minor prophets were the usual, except Andersen highlights from his skill-set. In my mind, the Habbakuk was the best.

Nahum by Christensen went into considerable depth on logoprosodic analysis.

Another example was the Malachi volume by Hill, heavily illustrated, with  critical hebrew depth (vs middle east).

'Liberal'? More along the lines of curious.

Posts 118
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 6:50 PM

Denise:
Nahum by Christensen went into considerable depth on logoprosodic analysis.

I forgot about this one. I have it in "dead tree" format, and have found it helpful with respect to background material.

Denise:
Another example was the Malachi volume by Hill, heavily illustrated, with  critical hebrew depth (vs middle east).

I'm guessing this one would be good too, as this is the same author of the new and respectable Daniel volume in the TOTC series.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 9:26 PM

Jonathan Ray:
Leviticus (Milgrom)

I have seen a few people recommend this. What makes it good?

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 311
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 9:54 PM

Kiyah:
As for must haves, I'd say the ones on Romans and 1 Corinthians by Joseph Fitzmyer would rank high, and anything by Luke Timothy Johnson. As you said, bestcommenaries.com will show you which ones are the best ones in the series. Since I'm studying Hebrews right now I'm thinking about getting that volume, which is ranked pretty high on bestcommentaries.com. Although I also want Luke Timothy Johnson's volume on James (I used that one in seminary for a paper and it was extremely helpful).

Excellent review.  Not sure if you’re aware or not, but William Varner recently put out an exegetical commentary on James (https://www.logos.com/product/16439/the-book-of-james-a-new-perspective).  I have it and like it so far.

I am always dubious when I hear the term “liberal” inasmuch as this seems like a mere term of derision targeting anyone who doesn’t agree w. someone’s pet theology.  I will be completely transparent and openly state that I identify as a Oneness Pentecostal theologically (& trust me, we’be endured our share of straw man attacks 🙄).  

But, I am very interested in these works and really would like to spring for entire set (I never see it dip below ca. $1,500 though 😢).

Anyway, fair and balanced review 👍.

Posts 10125
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2019 1:36 AM

Jonathan Ray:
Also, if you are studying the Apocryphal books, this set is one of the only ones to cover them in detail.

This was what got me thinking...

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 10306
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2019 6:34 AM

NB.Mick:

Jonathan Ray:

This was what got me thinking...

I use the Wisdom one quite a bit; Paul parallels. 

Page 1 of 5 (81 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS