Floating Windows Need Treated Differently

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 21
Zachary Bricker | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 9 2019 5:11 PM

Please allow floating windows to be considered independent of the main layout. Two specific situations come to mind but I am sure there are many others. First, with sermon editor in a floating window on one screen and my research on the other, I type into the Go Box a new passage to study and bam floating window is gone. This also applies to instances where I hit the close layout button forgetting I will be closing all the work on my other screen as well.

In my opinion they should be treated as a second layout and be independent from the main layout. This will make it so much easier to work with persistent items like notes, sermon editor, workflows, etc.

Please help,

Zac

Posts 21
Zachary Bricker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2019 5:28 PM

An additional stretch goal I forgot to include regarding the function of floating windows. Please allow me to drag a resource to an empty space on the desktop and have it create a floating window. It is counterintuitive to dig through menus to create floating windows and then move the window to the location desired. It would be great if I could grab the resource tab and drag it to my second screen and a window was created at the location.

Posts 2022
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 10 2019 12:09 AM

Zachary Bricker:
It would be great if I could grab the resource tab and drag it to my second screen and a window was created at the location.

I like this idea but heartily disagree with your earlier request. Regarding the disappearance of the floating window when you enter a passage in the go box... you simply need to set up the layout as you want it and then set it to be what opens when you enter a passage in the go box. If you're not familiar with how this is done, please post back and I'll be happy to help.

Posts 22013
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 10 2019 1:01 AM

Reuben Helmuth:
you simply need to set up the layout as you want it and then set it to be what opens when you enter a passage in the go box

Yes - but if all you want to do is to open a Bible and a new layout gets opened instead it can be a problem. (This issue has been discussed elsewhere)

After you've entered the passage in the Go Box - and before pressing enter - it's worth checking whether that action will result in a Bible or layout being opened

So, Zachary, it's worth checking that to prevent windows being closed when you don't want them to be.

Posts 21
Zachary Bricker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 10 2019 3:06 AM

I see your points (both of you). However, I think designing in this way is the wrong choice. I realize it’s what your used to but it’s asking the user to adapt to the software instead of designing it to be intuitive. What would be the downside of floating windows being persistent? I beleive, my assumption, that 9.5/10 new users would type in the go box of one window assuming the float one would stay. 

Posts 317
Luuk Dondorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 10 2019 5:13 AM

Zachary Bricker:

I see your points (both of you). However, I think designing in this way is the wrong choice. I realize it’s what your used to but it’s asking the user to adapt to the software instead of designing it to be intuitive. What would be the downside of floating windows being persistent? I beleive, my assumption, that 9.5/10 new users would type in the go box of one window assuming the float one would stay. 

Not new users only, as a long time user I still think its weird to be confined to the limits of the main screen. I do want that the panels could be dragged to another screen just by grabbing them and pull them over. Instead of drilling down a menu.

The behavior we have now is not consistent: opening the same layout again the floating window (which should be tied to the layout) is not coming up again. Not floating, not docked. It is just gone.  If it was really tied to the layout it comes from and it would come back when opening this layout the floating windows would be more useful. 

Luuk

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 10 2019 6:26 AM

Zachary Bricker:

An additional stretch goal I forgot to include regarding the function of floating windows. Please allow me to drag a resource to an empty space on the desktop and have it create a floating window. It is counterintuitive to dig through menus to create floating windows and then move the window to the location desired. It would be great if I could grab the resource tab and drag it to my second screen and a window was created at the location.

I agree with this, but it's worth knowing that you can right-click on any resource tab to open it in a floating window (no need to dig through menus).

Posts 21
Zachary Bricker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 10 2019 9:57 AM

I consider a right click a menu.

Posts 8066
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2019 11:20 PM

Zachary Bricker:
Please allow me to drag a resource to an empty space on the desktop and have it create a floating window.

We're tracking this suggestion at https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-8/suggestions/947711-enable-us-to-drag-a-tab-out-of-the-main-window-and and any updates will be posted there.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS