Beta 2. Installation on multiple computers

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 410
George | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 11 2019 9:20 AM

Up until recently it was pretty easy to install Logos on multiple computers running Windows without having to download tons of data from Logos and also avoiding indexing on the new computers.  It seems to me that the new setup process will make it more complicated to use the processes listed at https://wiki.logos.com/quick_installation_onto_multiple_computers

Has anyone managed to do it?

Posts 4546
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2019 9:56 AM

Hi George

George:

Up until recently it was pretty easy to install Logos on multiple computers running Windows without having to download tons of data from Logos and also avoiding indexing on the new computers.  It seems to me that the new setup process will make it more complicated to use the processes listed at https://wiki.logos.com/quick_installation_onto_multiple_computers

Has anyone managed to do it?

As I understand it that work rounds to avoid downloading resources are convenient happenstances and the methods have never been endorsed (although may have been acknowledged) by Faithlife.

Neither of the alternative methods are something I would try other than in extremis.

Posts 410
George | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2019 10:10 AM

Hi Mike,

Mike Binks:
Neither of the alternative methods are something I would try other than in extremis.

I've done it many times and it worked like a charm. Smile

Downloading 30G of data may not be as big of a problem now as it used to be, but still there are plenty of users who are using Logos in places where internet/bandwidth availability is a problem.

Posts 4546
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2019 10:23 AM
I take your point about those with limited Bandwidth George and the usefulness of these methods. My experience with Logos is limited - I didn't come on board until the early days of the Mac Beta's. During that time I have replaced the desktop iMac once and the laptop once so have only two experiences of waiting for the download. I certainly would want to be doing it 'many times' even on a fast broadband connection.
Posts 24345
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2019 4:31 PM

George:
It seems to me that the new setup process will make it more complicated to use the processes listed at https://wiki.logos.com/quick_installation_onto_multiple_computers

Method 3 would require more clarification, but it is still viable e.g.

1. Backup the Resources folder (which can have selected resources)
  2. Install Logos/Verbum
    • if you want to install a beta version use the link from the Beta forum
    • select Custom installation and uncheck “Automatically Download Updates”
    • change the installation folder, or leave as default
  3. Sign-in to Logos
  4. From the "Download Your Logos 8 Library" window
    1. choose the Option with least resources e.g. Minimal or Recommended
    2. click the button to "Open Logos"
  5. Enter scan <path to your resources> in the Logos GO/Command box
    1. If it has your complete Library, it will work as before.
    2. If it has selected resources, you may have to remove some resources because of Step 4.

That will be refined as we continue with the beta.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 410
George | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2019 6:25 AM

Hi Dave,

Dave Hooton:
Method 3 would require more clarification, but it is still viable e.g.

Yes, method 3 is still viable but requires indexing.  Still better than downloading a ton of data from Logos.

Method 2 might work as well but I don't know enough about the new features and how those might complicate issues with method 2.  Since it looks like each individual laptop/desktop will be able to maintain a different number of resources, there has to be a computer ID that is set for the back-end system at Logos to know what desktop/laptop it is talking to. The location of that ID and how Logos uses it most likely will make a difference for method 2.

Posts 24345
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2019 1:51 PM

George:
Method 2 might work as well but I don't know enough about the new features and how those might complicate issues with method 2.

I will test Method 2 after Beta 3.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 24345
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2019 3:29 AM

Dave Hooton:
I will test Method 2 after Beta 3.

Quick check on 8.3 from/to the same device shows you have to get rid of the Sign-in window using Task Manager in Step 2, else Logos will go thru "Download Your Logos 8 Library".

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 410
George | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2019 12:41 PM

Dave Hooton:
Quick check on 8.3 from/to the same device shows you have to get rid of the Sign-in window using Task Manager in Step 2, else Logos will go thru "Download Your Logos 8 Library".

Yes.
After killing the Sign-in window once the setup is finished, Method 2 seems to be working fine with just one issue.  Let's say the original installation is on computer A and you use it to install Logos on computer B. The problem is that you cannot maintain a different list of resources on the two computers.  If you to remove different resources on the two computers (one set of resources on computer A and a different set on computer B), you will end up with both sets of resources on both.  It looks like the Logos back-end is unable to make the difference between computers A and B. The last test I made was on Beta 3.

Posts 2000
LogosEmployee

George:
you cannot maintain a different list of resources on the two computers.  If you to remove different resources on the two computers (one set of resources on computer A and a different set on computer B), you will end up with both sets of resources on both.

This sounds incorrect to me. You absolutely should be able to maintain two separate configurations of downloaded resources on two different machines.

Can you describe in detail the exact sequence of steps that you used to reach this conclusion?

Posts 410
George | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2019 3:00 PM

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
You absolutely should be able to maintain two separate configurations of downloaded resources on two different machines.

Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing here.  Installations on two different computers do maintain two independent lists of resources if the new installation is a fresh installation. 

What I am referring to is quick installation on a new computer based on the Logos wiki https://wiki.logos.com/quick_installation_onto_multiple_computers

In the quick installation scenario there may be an issue when using Method 2.  If we are both talking about the quick installation scenario, I will do another install and try to reproduce the problem and the steps to reproduce it if you want me to.

Posts 2000
LogosEmployee

George:
In the quick installation scenario there may be an issue when using Method 2

If you kill the application at the sign-in window and then replace your folders, then you should see the same resources as where you copied from.

I'm not understanding how this statement of yours fits in:

George:
If you to remove different resources on the two computers (one set of resources on computer A and a different set on computer B), you will end up with both sets of resources on both.

More detail would help determine whether or not there's actually a problem here.

Posts 24345
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2019 6:38 PM

George:
In the quick installation scenario there may be an issue when using Method 2

George:
If you to remove different resources on the two computers (one set of resources on computer A and a different set on computer B), you will end up with both sets of resources on both.

There may well be an issue with Method 2 in this new "Cloud" scenario. So it would be more beneficial to install Beta 3 normally, with a minimal set of resources, as we should be testing what Faithlife provides (it will save time over indexing/downloading all resources).

I think I know what is happening with Method 2, and will report back before the weekend.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 410
George | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2019 6:55 PM

Andrew,

Here is the very long story.

Old installation computer - Computer A
New installation computer - Computer B

Install Logos beta 3 on Computer B

Select Custom installation and uncheck “Automatically Download Updates”
Change the installation folder to C:\Bible Study\
Close the Logos program/Sign-in window after the installation has finished by using the Task Manager (ctrl+alt+delete).
Find Logos Bible software in the process list, right click on it and then select “End Task”
Delete in the new computer installation folder
C:\Bible Study\Logos\Data
C:\Bible Study\Logos\Users

copy the following folders from the old installation on Computer A
L:\Bible Study\Logos\Data
L:\Bible Study\Logos\Users
L:\Bible Study\Logos\Documents
to
C:\Bible Study\Logos\ on Computer B

Wait for the file copying to finish.

Start Logos on Computer B
Login
Main window opens fairly quickly (less than a minute)
Hovering over the blue Notifications icon - Message is "Preparing Library"
Let it run until the library preparation is over
Library shows 8468 resources on Computer B
Synchronization is enabled and all items are up to date status

Started Logos on Computer A
Library shows 8468 resources on Computer A

So at this point both Computer A and Computer B have the same number of resources.  Next

In Library on Computer A I selected  Ante-Nicene Fathers - 9 volumes and selected "Remove from Device"
Preparing Library showed up, then indexing. All 9 volumes appeared in the "Not on This Device" section on Computer A.  
Left Logos running on Computer A.

I switched to Computer B
In Library on Computer A I selected "The Bible and its Story" - 10 volumes and selected "Remove from device"
Updating library catalog. List may be incomplete appeared.
Preparing Library showed up and went away after a while. All 10 volumes appeared in the "Not on This Device" section on Computer B.

Next
I shut down Logos on computer A
Waited 30 seconds
I shut down Logos on Computer B
Waited 1 minute.

Then

Hovering mouse over the notification icon showed Preparing Library and then it went away
Not on this device still shows  Ante-Nicene Fathers - 9 volumes
Left Logos running

Waited 2 minutes
Started Logos on Computer B
Hovering mouse over the notification icon showed Preparing Library followed by Updates are Available. 718.6 MB notification
Not on this device still shows  "The Bible and Its Story" - 10 volumes
Clicked on Download Updates
Checked C:\Bible Study\Logos\Data\gu2rompf.gqa\ResourceManager\Downloaded
Folders were being created
LLS_BBLSTRY03
LLS_BBLSTRY05
LLS_BBLSTRY07
etc
It was obviously downloading the 10 volumes of "The Bible and Its Story"
The Notification showed up indicating 10 updated resources: the 10 volumes of The Bible and Its Story

Waited 2 minutes
Shut down Logos on Computer B

Waited 1 minute
Shut down Logos on Computer A

Waited 1 minute
Started Logos on Computer B
Hovering mouse over Notification icon showing Preparing Library and then went away
Not on this device is no longer showing the 10 volumes of "The Bible and Its Story"

Waited 2 minutes
Updates are available. 23.3 MB notification
Not on this device still shows  "Ante-Nicene Fathers" - 9 volumes
Clicked download updates
Preparing Library notification
Not on this device is no longer showing "Ante-Nicene Fathers" - 9 volumes

Long story short, on both computers the resources that were removed from each computer were downloaded back.  The library on both computers are back to 8468 resources.

Posts 2000
LogosEmployee

George:
Here is the very long story.

Ah, I understand what's going on. The identifier for the installation is stored in the local preferences as part of the installation. When this is copied over to the new computer, this keeps the same identifier, which makes the server think they are the same, which means that they are kept in sync.

You can work around this problem by deleting the Logos\Documents\<random>\LocalUserPreferences\ folder. I'll have to think about whether this is a scenario we need to watch for.

Posts 410
George | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2019 8:00 PM

The identifier for the installation is stored in the local preferences as part of the installation. When this is copied over to the new computer, this keeps the same identifier,

That is what I suspected.  I said this in one of my earlier posts:

"...there has to be a computer ID that is set for the back-end system at Logos to know what desktop/laptop it is talking to. The location of that ID and how Logos uses it most likely will make a difference for method 2."

Posts 24345
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 14 2019 4:45 AM

You can work around this problem by deleting the Logos\Documents\<random>\LocalUserPreferences\ folder. I'll have to think about whether this is a scenario we need to watch for.

It seemed to have worked when Logos first loaded, but there was a mysterious 935 MB download showing in Settings, but not in the 2x Notification areas. When I restarted Logos, a 10.8 GB download began....Perhaps there could be a fix for that.

What would be really useful is a ZERO Download option  - "Don't download any library resources, I will do that manually. Just download my datasets". This will be practical, as it is difficult to "curate" a minimal set of resources without the user wanting to delete many of them. And it will facilitate Method 3, where the user has what they want in a backup resource folder.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 410
George | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2019 6:42 AM

You can work around this problem by deleting the Logos\Documents\<random>\LocalUserPreferences\ folder

How feasible is it to move this folder to a different location (Logos\System for example)?

Posts 1670
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2019 11:05 AM

Dave Hooton:
What would be really useful is a ZERO Download option  - "Don't download any library resources, I will do that manually.

PLEASE!!

Dave Hooton:
Just download my datasets

really think we need the option not to download these either. 154 datasets totally 6.39 GB is simply too big for many people to download in metered (and severely limited) data situations. I think there should simply be a direct download link for the datasets so that they could be downloaded at will and scanned.

Posts 24345
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2019 1:09 PM

Reuben Helmuth:
I think there should simply be a direct download link for the datasets so that they could be downloaded at will and scanned.

Some would be deemed essential e.g. Lemmas, Person/Place/Thing, Referents, Events, LCV and the rest offered for download; but grouped where necessary e.g. for Factbook, Grammars, & Clauses, and with a more detailed description.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS