How to set the default note settings (not formatting)

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 18
Jason Harris | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 18 2019 7:20 AM

I've been learning the new notes feature and really liking it so far. But I'm finding it frustrating when I create a new note because there are two settings that don't seem to follow any logical rules.

When I create a new note, I want to be able to set the default note icon (as the blank note icon) and a default highlight style (as "use icon colour"). At present, it comes up randomly and I have to change these settings on every single note I write...

Any insights would be much appreciated.

Posts 2034
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2019 10:56 AM

Jason, 

Which version are you running? IIRC, as of 8.2 the note icon and color default to the last used setting, so if you change your most recently created note icon to a blue circle, for example, the next note you create will be created with a blue circle.

Posts 18
Jason Harris | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 3:27 AM

Reuben Helmuth:

Jason, 

Which version are you running? IIRC, as of 8.2 the note icon and color default to the last used setting, so if you change your most recently created note icon to a blue circle, for example, the next note you create will be created with a blue circle.

I'm running 8.2. Yeah, I would have expected that, but it's not doing that in my case. Both in the desktop app and on my android apps (verbum, logos, Faithlife Ebook), it seems to have no memory of what I did last for these two selections only.

Posts 10126
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 3:52 AM

Jason Harris:
I'm running 8.2. Yeah, I would have expected that, but it's not doing that in my case. (...) it seems to have no memory of what I did last 

"What I did last" is a broad category, especially if you include several platforms into that. But sticking to the desktop for a moment: if you make a note in a resource, then go into the notes tool, go to the most recent note you just made - should be on top in 8.2 -  and change the note icon and note icon color (e.g. make a blue star instead of a yellow stick-it), and then go to the resource, select something and right-click and "add a note", what happens? 

Maybe you could share screenshots and a logos.log file in case the new note icon is not the updated color and icon style. 

EDIT: clarified that the setting is kept for the note icon only in 8.2 - red box in the screenshot. If you want a highlight style preserved along with the note icon, this is possible in 8.3 latest beta (blue box), expected to go live early March

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 2034
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 4:03 AM

NB.Mick:
change the note icon and note color

There was an issue in the beta with this, but I assumed it got fixed. It's worth a try, though! Make sure to change both the icon shape and color of your most recently created note. Note: If this clears it up, you won't need to do both on subsequent changes.

Posts 18
Jason Harris | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 4:12 AM

Alright. Did that and the icon itself does seem to be working properly on the desktop. But not in the android app.

The "highlight style" always, both on desktop and phone, comes up as none (the crossed out circle).

Posts 18
Jason Harris | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 4:16 AM

For the log, you just want the cef file?

Posts 10126
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 4:18 AM

Jason Harris:
Alright. Did that and the icon itself does seem to be working properly on the desktop.

Good to hear!

Jason Harris:
But not in the android app.

Sorry, I can't help you with that, I use it only infrequently. Notes should sync between those, but I'm not aware about functionality of the apps.

Jason Harris:
The "highlight style" always, both on desktop and phone, comes up as none (the crossed out circle).

I edited my post above to make this clear. The persistent highlighter style is coming with 8.3 and currently works in beta. 

Posts 2034
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 4:19 AM

Jason, see NB.Mick's edit concerning the highlight style. If you want this before March 4, you'll need to join the beta program. 

The mobile apps are on their own release program and I'm not sure when this will make it to mobile. It might be good to start a new thread in the mobile forum.

Posts 18
Jason Harris | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 4:21 AM

Brilliant! Thanks for your help guys. Will look forward to 8.3!

The notes on the phone apps are still quite buggy. More than just this issue. Hopefully that will improve soon as well. =)

Posts 10126
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 4:21 AM

Jason Harris:

For the log, you just want the cef file?

I personally never had use for the cef file (but Logos may see things from it). In case of bugs, it often helps to see the logos.log file, which is only invoked if you start Logos holding CTRL pressed (or turn it on permanently, as I usually have). See http://wiki.logos.com/diagnostic_logging  for details.

But it seems your system works as intended for the L8.2 stable version.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS