Prayer List

Page 3 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 44 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 6 2011 5:43 PM

alabama24:
It would be nice to have prayer plans or templates to assist people. In those areas of prayer, Bible reading is very important. 

Stephen Weasler:
I would like to be able to"click a link" and have the Bible open to that verse that I've put int he prayer request.

And this is where I could see using it in Logos or another Bible-focused app. Including a smaller selection of passages isn't a problem, most translations offer fairly generous usage terms. But including large chunks of text require a license. I was able to get a license for use of the ESV in P2R, but it took a lot of time and a little expense. Trying to include the whole Bible in multiple translations for a prayer app is pretty much out of the question unless the developer had standing agreements with publishers, something available to Logos and others.

The most someone like me could do, aside from passage snippets, is link to Bible passages in external sites, perhaps even embedding a web browser in the app, but it would require web access which would limit offline use.

Posts 4733
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 2:01 AM

Hi Chris

No doubt nobody on this thread will be surprised that I would encourage you to go down the app development route.

The idea of sitting the prayer list side by side with an open Bible on the iphone doesn't seem particularly attractive to me and my eyesight is only slightly failing!

Even on the ipad the available real estate may be limiting? But in landscape mode it might be ok.

For me the ideal app would be one that focuses on prayers in the way that Alabama indicates but which would open Logos to a preset Layout and synced with the Bible reference that called it from the prayer app.

iOS5 has the ability to 'five finger swipe' between running applications so although you might not be able to view both screens simultaneously they would only be a gesture apart.

If your app synced its prayer elements using say DropBox or iCloud between iphone and ipad I could cope with it not being on the desktop at all. If it could be adapted to sync with Lion then all the better for those of us with a laptop etc.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 7:54 AM

Mike Binks:
If your app synced its prayer elements using say DropBox or iCloud between iphone and ipad I could cope with it not being on the desktop at all. If it could be adapted to sync with Lion then all the better for those of us with a laptop etc.

Most likely it would need to be a custom sync. Set up an account on a website and use that account to keep the app in sync. The Dropbox API is for syncing files, not discrete data objects, and while a method could be created to use Dropbox, it would be pretty clunky.

Similar with iCloud, though details here remain a little sketchy. I know Apple will open iCloud to devs for some synchronization, but I think the sync will be more along the lines of what Dropbox offers. File sync, maybe some application data, but I don't know if it will sync much in the way of data objects. And even if it does, conflict resolution would be a challenge.

So it seems to me that the best way to handle this would be with a custom sync server.

Mike Binks:
but which would open Logos to a preset Layout and synced with the Bible reference that called it from the prayer app.

I wonder if Logos has written the app to respond to custom URL's. If so, it would be relatively easy to have a prayer app open Bible passages in Logos. If not, then it's really not possible. I know the desktop versions of Logos are written to respond to custom links (so, for instance, Reftagger can add a link to a Bible passage to open the passage in Logos), but I don't think the iOS app has that capability. I'll have to ask.

Posts 2
Brenda Andersen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 13 2014 9:41 AM

I, so agree with Stephen. It diff is a useful tool and I hope it stays in Logosl. All this stuff about privacy, for pete's sake, common sense dictates to not use private info. Like Stephen said, just a note to remind, a "jot and tittle", if you will. I came to this thread looking for info how to better utilize it, like how to back up the dates to todays date after I accidently changed it and all I found was complaints about too many other things.  Really? Any tool that helps us be all that Jesus would have us be is good!

Posts 22851
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 13 2014 12:11 PM

Hi Brenda - and welcome to the forums

You are replying to a very old note and not many people may see it (not a lot of people look at the Logos 4 forums these days as many have upgraded to Logos 5)

I suggest that if you have a specific question about the use of Prayer Lists you start a new thread and explain clearly what you are looking for.

If still running Logos 4 then post in this forum - if you are running Logos 5 please use http://community.logos.com/forums/109.aspx 

Graham

Page 3 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS