numbering as a highlight feature

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 21 2019 2:36 PM

I was reading through a passage of Scripture and thought it would be helpful if I ever taught or preached on it in the future if I numbered the various sections, so I would see the break in thought easier when analyzing it in the future.  Not having to do the same work twice.

But, alas, I saw no numbering options in the highlight tool.  If I could put one there, I would. 

Maybe someone who can will.

Thank you

Posts 462
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2019 2:59 PM

There are different ways to accomplish something similar. Here is what I came up with in about 30 seconds:

You can create custom highlights. In the highlight tool select 'New palette' then, after creating your palette select on the drop-down menu and select 'Add new style':

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2019 4:07 PM

Thank you.

I opened the new palette panel and then the add a new style thing, and then I had absolutely no idea what to do next.

Posts 462
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2019 8:26 PM

I don't know if there is a video or something that might walk you though the options. But here is how I created the numbered highlight in the previous post. 

1. Give your highlight a title here.

2. Choose the border line by clicking here.

3. Insert the number that you want to appear here and choose 'Capsule'

4. Click 'Save' and that's it.

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2019 8:50 PM

Well, I made some numbers.  It's not as organized or uniform like one would want it, but it's functional.  This whole process is not intuitive.   I take that back.  Apparently it was for you.

But thank you.

I got what I wanted.

Posts 462
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2019 9:14 PM

Glad you were able to get something working. One further idea, to help your eyes more quickly find different numbered points, would be to use different colors for the different numbers (blue for 1, red for 2, etc.).

The color-picking boxes are circled in blue in the pic below:

Posts 455
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2019 9:25 PM

Larry, you may also find some helpful tips in this blog post from Mark Ward from June 2016.  In the comments below the post there is some helpful Q&A that you might appreciate.  "Tip 8" in the article is somewhat related to what you were looking to do.

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 22 2019 5:24 AM

Thank you.  Mark didn't say how he did it.  Somewhere else here walked me through it, but the results were slipshod but functional.  I got what I wanted but I found the whole overly complicated and non-intuitive.  I hope I don't have a need for more highlight functions.

Thanks again.

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 22 2019 5:25 AM

Thanks, but I'm hoping never to have to create another highlight feature again.  But at least I have enough information to make something useful.

thanks again

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS