This post has 42 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4645
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 5 2010 11:59 AM

Looking up some background on Elijah.

Go to Biblical People

Click on Elijah

Under Dictionaries I get 'Elijah | NBD'

but not, as I expect to, Easton's Bible Dictionary' nor The 'Zondervan Encyclopaedia of the Bible' or any other dictionary.

Is this a mac bug?

A system bug?

And what is more having dragged the Library window slider bar fully down in order to copy the Title of the second of my examples the window, which has been search for 'dictionary' jump to the top and then periodically refreshes itself.

So is this two bugs?

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 394
Fernando A Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 1:07 PM

Mike, 

I don't quite understand your query.  Is this what you mean?  When I click Elijah I get the correct dictionary open up on the proper entry for Elijah.

Fernando

Posts 4645
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 1:35 PM

Fernando A Gonzalez:

Mike, 

I don't quite understand your query.  Is this what you mean?  When I click Elijah I get the correct dictionary open up on the proper entry for Elijah.

Fernando

Yes - you seem to have a number of dictionaries showing. I only have one. Neither of us has 'Eastons'! Is there a setting that I am missing?

Posts 394
Fernando A Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 1:48 PM

Mike

Well, I can't get Easton's to show on the list either.  I tried to "prioritize" it in the library but had no effect.  

I find that the entry to the left changes when I scroll the window but cannot get the complete text to appear, BTW, what is the source of that text?  If I click (or double-click) on it nothing happens...  Any thoughts?

Fernando

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 1:49 PM

Not all the dictionaries have been suitably tagged yet. There's a list of what is here:

Posts 4645
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 1:58 PM

Thank you Mark,

Your reply is very helpful - I realise that you are only the messenger but I muse aloud.

Though I am very disappointed that the brand new Zondervan resources are not yet so tagged.

I quote from the sales blub

Titles integrate into custom search reports, Passage Guides, Exegetical Guides, and the other advanced features of Logos Bible Software.

Is this mis-selling, a mistake or my misunderstanding?

It seems like a lot of money for an incomplete product - the resources I mean not the engine.

Anyway thanks for letting me know what is wrong.

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 394
Fernando A Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 2:00 PM

Mark,

Thank you for the clarification...

Fernando

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 2:39 PM

Mike Binks:
Though I am very disappointed that the brand new Zondervan resources are not yet so tagged.

The post I referred to pre-dates the Zondervan releases, I think. Sean Boisen would be the only person able to answer the question as to why they weren't tagged for topics when they were created.

Posts 25
Joe Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 12:08 AM

I also get NBD, but I do not have the Zondervan set to test it out.

Here is what I do have that shows up

Posts 4645
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 5:01 AM

Thanks Joe,

It seems that I have only one of those that you have in your library.

And that I seem to have made a misguided purchase decision when adding to my store.

I can of course look up Elijah in the Zondervan set manually - but it kinda defeats the purpose.

Super Angry

Tootle pip

Mike

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 7:40 AM

Mike,

Looking at this thread suggests support should be there: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/15006/115888.aspx - though personally I can't get any entries from the ZEB to show up in Biblical People, Places or Things. I do, however, get maps from ZIBBC showing up in Places.

Why not add a query to that thread, and place a comment on Louis St. Hilaire's profile, inviting him to reply to the thread.

Mark

Posts 313
Thinking | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 10:29 AM

I looked up Elijah in the People Tool. One option was Elijah's altar. The picture is an eye. It was clearly not an altar. It needs to be "altered."

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 10:50 AM

Phil Mills:
I looked up Elijah in the People Tool. One option was Elijah's altar. The picture is an eye. It was clearly not an altar. It needs to be "altered."
Are you sure this showed Elijah's Altar in Biblical People?  Or do you mean Biblical Things?  Can you show a screenshot of this item in Biblical People?

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 12:19 PM

In Biblical People, there's a link to the altar in Biblical Things. On my machine the initial image was wrong, but it very quickly corrected itself.

Posts 313
Thinking | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2010 3:12 AM

I tried to paste it in my original post without success. I forgot you have to attach it. First, I looked up Elijah. Here is the result (no problem).

3056.Elijah.tiff

Then I clicked on Elijah's Altar with this result:

7282.Elijah's Altar.tiff

Posts 313
Thinking | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2010 3:21 AM

tried to paste it in my original post without success. I forgot you have to attach it. First, I looked up Elijah. Here is the result (no problem).

Then I clicked on Elijah's Altar with this result:

Quick Reply

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2010 8:30 AM

I can confirm on my system that the initial image is wrong when clicking on Elijah's Alter.  Hopefully one of the developers can confirm this and file a bug report.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 3152
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2010 11:17 AM

Everyone:

I an confirm the issue...partially. When I select the altar link from Elijah I get the following.

I am going to file a bug for this, as I suspect it is connected to the same issue I am seeing. As for the individual who saw the wrong item display, I experimented on the Windows version to see what I should be seeing and it flashed to what I think I last looked at in Biblical Things (incidentally it was a camel...not sure why) then it went to the altar (what you see on the preview image).

Posts 4645
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2010 3:44 PM

Mark,

If I might be allowed to drag the thread back to the original subject of Bible People and the dearth of Dictionaries listed when I entered Elijah.

I have followed your suggestion and added to the thread you suggested.

It seems that when Logos claims that resources are fully 'integrated into the program' - the words should be taken to mean 'might be integrated at some later date'.

I have ask Louis to express my bitter disappointment that after investing over £1000 in a resource I find that its preparation has been incomplete and that it will be fixed when they get round to it.

Up until now my experience with Logos as a company has been reasonably good - I consider this a major setback.

Thank you for your help and for pointing me in the right direction.

Kind regards

Mike

Posts 3152
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 8 2010 5:07 PM

Mike:

I'm merely a peon, but I'd like to know where this publishd material is you spoke of in this thread http://community.logos.com/forums/p/15006/115888.aspx

Here is your quote

" I knew my library was short of Dictionaries and the Zondervan Collection, which cost a considerable amount of money, was meant to address this shortage. I think that my assumption that it would was reasonable in the light of the promotional material published by Logos. I am bitterly disappointed with the information you have given me in your reply."

I'm not in Marketing, but I went to the product page and I am not sure what it might tell you there that it does not do.

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS