Anthony H | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 5 2010 6:21 PM

Septuaginta : With Morphology

. electronic ed. Stuttgart: Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, 1979

LLS:LOGOSLXX2010-04-28T15:41:04ZLOGOSLXX.logos4

RVI:LXXHEB2010-04-28T14:54:54ZLXXHEB.lbsrvi

Posts 26465
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 6:31 PM

I complained about this the other day and was told is was "by design". Translation: Logos considers the Hebrew to be the underlying text and provides a reverse interlinear on the Greek to the Hebrew. Where the Greek is the "original" Logos does not provide the interlinear feature.

However, and this is where I think Logos misses the boat - if you take the NRSV's Sirach you don't get the Greek as the interlinear. I call it a bug; Logos calls it "by design".

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 6:35 PM

i'm guessing that you did try an OT book as well (e.g. Joshua). Apocryphal books act the same way in my version.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 6:46 PM

Is this resource really supported anyway?  I know they updated it for Logos v4, but I can't find it mentioned anywhere on Logos site except in the base library contents pages.  It doesn't appear in search results either.  It's not mentioned in the "Product Guide to Resources for Septuagint Study", and it doesn't seem to be available outside of a base library package, while the older Ralfs with the UPenn morphology is.  Is that right?

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 6:51 PM

MJ. Smith:

I complained about this the other day and was told is was "by design". Translation: Logos considers the Hebrew to be the underlying text and provides a reverse interlinear on the Greek to the Hebrew. Where the Greek is the "original" Logos does not provide the interlinear feature.

However, and this is where I think Logos misses the boat - if you take the NRSV's Sirach you don't get the Greek as the interlinear. I call it a bug; Logos calls it "by design".

Hey, ya...what gives?!?

I have to agree... if its a display function that doesn't function... come on... its a display "bug".

Notice no blank panel at the bottom even though the interlinear button is depressed (to the right of the display interlinear drop-down). So there is some inconsistency in is "by design" functionality as my top post has it depressed and it does display the bottom panel.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 7:16 PM

Todd Phillips:

Is this resource really supported anyway?  I know they updated it for Logos v4, but I can't find it mentioned anywhere on Logos site except in the base library contents pages.  It doesn't appear in search results either.  It's not mentioned in the "Product Guide to Resources for Septuagint Study", and it doesn't seem to be available outside of a base library package, while the older Ralfs with the UPenn morphology is.  Is that right?

I don't think its supported for interlinear at all and thats why I brought it up.

It came (Logos Version which is Ralfs) with my silver package along with H.B. Swete's "The Old Testament in Greek: According to the Septuagint"  w/apparatus and Alternate txt and Brenton's English version. I already had Ralfs (Blue cover version) before my upgraded.

Anyway it's just wierd to have the buttons there when they don't do anything and as M.J. said if you switch to the NRSV's Sirach you don't get the Greek as the interlinear (though you do get the Hebrew as the interlinear with the non-Apocryphal books to answer steve clark). 

The buttons have no purpose because there is no function within that resource.

Posts 24919
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 11:50 PM

Anthony Hamlin:
Notice no blank panel at the bottom even though the interlinear button is depressed (to the right of the display interlinear drop-down).

I created a bug report at http://wiki.logos.com/Bug$3a_Inconsistent_use_of_Display_$26_Interlinear_buttons  - alter the description if necessary!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 11:23 AM

Dave Hooton:

Anthony Hamlin:
Notice no blank panel at the bottom even though the interlinear button is depressed (to the right of the display interlinear drop-down).

I created a bug report at http://wiki.logos.com/Bug$3a_Inconsistent_use_of_Display_$26_Interlinear_buttons  - alter the description if necessary!

thanks Dave,

M.J. seems to have brought it up before me... so I'll leave the honors... maybe link to these posts, but otherwise your description is fine for me.

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2010 11:17 AM

MJ. Smith:

MJ ~ The "by design" reply was in regard to your report that "when using the NRSV reverse interlinear for Greek Esther, the underlying LXX manuscript is missing (http://community.logos.com/forums/t/17924.aspx). Similarly for other OT books translated from the Greek."  I hadn't reported to dev that the Display and Interlinear buttons were visible but not working for those books, as it didn't seem that was what you were reporting.

In response to this thread, I will inquire as to why those buttons are displayed. It may be that they can make them dynamic like the Parallel Resource Set button, depending on the current reference.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2010 11:37 AM

Melissa Snyder:

MJ. Smith:

MJ ~ The "by design" reply was in regard to your report that "when using the NRSV reverse interlinear for Greek Esther, the underlying LXX manuscript is missing (http://community.logos.com/forums/t/17924.aspx). Similarly for other OT books translated from the Greek."  I hadn't reported to dev that the Display and Interlinear buttons were visible but not working for those books, as it didn't seem that was what you were reporting.

In response to this thread, I will inquire as to why those buttons are displayed. It may be that they can make them dynamic like the Parallel Resource Set button, depending on the current reference.

Not answering for M.J.

But I'd like to say thanks for the response Melissa. Big Smile

Posts 26465
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2010 10:43 PM

Melissa Snyder:

I agree the problems were not identical - I saw them as similar and perhaps related. I'll try to be more precise so that I don't cause confusion.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS