Interlinear LXX does not work for the Apocrypha

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jun 6 2010 7:59 PM

I would love to have the Interlinear feature work in the LXX on the Apocrypha. The data is clearly there, since you can do lemma searches and see the parsing when you hover over a word. But the Interlinear display is empty.

Posts 1380
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 8:48 PM

Hi Harry.

Harry Hahne:

I would love to have the Interlinear feature work in the LXX on the Apocrypha. The data is clearly there, since you can do lemma searches and see the parsing when you hover over a word. But the Interlinear display is empty.

"The Apocrypha" is a big place. I just poked around Judith, 1-4 Maccabees, Sirach, Wisdom of Solomon and didn't have any issues with interlinear lines. What references specifically are you looking at?

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1380
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 8:54 PM

Hi Harry.

Harry Hahne:

Also, what resource are you looking at? Are you looking at the Lexham Greek-English Interlinear LXX? Or are you looking at the "Septuagint with Logos Morphology"? If the latter, then the interlinear lines are actually a reverse interlinear against the Hebrew text. In that one, the Greek morph/lemma is encoded with the word itself, the interlinear lines are reverse interlinear of the Hebrew. Where there is no Hebrew to align with (i.e., in the apocrypha), then "blank" lines might show. My guess is that this is what you're experiencing.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 17 2010 7:08 PM

Rick Brannan:
Also, what resource are you looking at?

Septuagint with Logos Morphology.

Look, for example, at 2 Maccabees.

There is nothing in the Interlinear box, even for surface text. The Inline Interlinear selection box allows all of the choices, but nothing appears when you select the check boxes.

Since there is Greek lemma, parsing and gloss information when you hover over a word, I would expect those to be display options for the Interlinear. I understand the Hebrew "reverse interlinear" will not work for the portions of the LXX that do not overlap with the Hebrew Bible.

I believe the way the LXX interlinear is set up now is misleading, even for those books that are also in the Hebrew Bible. For consistency, the "lemma" should be the Greek lemma, not the Hebrew lemma. The Greek lemma is what appears in the right click menu. The morphology should also be for the Greek text, as it does for the pop-up menu. Perhaps these need to be added to the Inline Interlinear selections and the Ribbon Interlinear. Then the corresponding Hebrew should say Hebrew MSS, Hebrew Morphology, etc. or something to make it clear what this refers to. This is similar to the Lexham Greek-English Interlinear Septuagint, which has "Greek Lemma" in the Display menu.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS