What are the last 5 books or so you purchased rather than waiting for a FL edition?

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 37 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1886
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2019 12:38 PM

Are you guys mainly buying print (new or used?) or Kindle editions?

Posts 1464
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2019 12:44 PM

For me, it depends. I prefer electronic for the search capabilities, but Kindle is often... unwieldy. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 569
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2019 1:14 PM

Print. If I want to pull a lot of quotes from the book or will reference it a lot in the future I will also buy Kindle. If Matchbook is available I will almost always buy Kindle version too.

Potato resting atop 2020 Mac Pro stand.

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2019 3:15 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Kindle. I only buy print if an electronic edition isn’t available.

Posts 2579
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2019 3:37 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Print (new), unless electronic or used is substantially cheaper. Kindle really is my last resort, if a book that I need can't be found anywhere else (including libraries).

(I still can't get over the fact that Amazon pockets up to 65% of the book price for basically nothing but playing the distributor role.)

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 641
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2019 6:29 PM

SineNomine:

David Wanat:
“The Day is [Now] Far Spent” by Cardinal Robert Sarah

David Wanat:
”Western Culture” by Benedict XVI 

This is a new edition of Europe: Today and Tomorrow, already available from Faithlife.

i think I have most or all of his works on FL, but thanks.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM

Ultimate: Verbum | Diamond: Orthodox  | Gold: Eastern Rite, Ordinariate, Anglican | Silver: Standard | Bronze: Baptist, Lutheran, Messianic, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2019 7:41 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Kindle. I almost never buy print editions anymore.

I tend to go browsing in Amazon when it suggests related books and end up buying several at once when I'm interested in a topic. I will always check Logos first to see if it's available there. But I so often find a whole cluster of related books none of which is available in Logos. Usually it's books by authors who tend to be more liberal/mainline/progressive than the bulk of what you guys carry (e.g., Barbara Brown Taylor, Brad Jersak, Frederick Buechner, Richard Rohr, Robert Farrar Capon and others in their circles). Sometimes it's from university presses or other hard-to-get works, or big publishers of general "spirituality" (HarperCollins is a big one: HarperOne, HarperSanFrancisco), or other faith-based publishers that you don't yet do business with (e.g., Ave Maria press). But often it's books from Christian publishers that have been Faithlife staples for years: IVP, Zondervan, Fortress, Eerdmans, etc.

Posts 1538
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2019 11:33 PM

Mark Barnes:
Kindle. I only buy print if an electronic edition isn’t available.

Yes

Bruce W. Longenecker: The Crosses of Pompeii: Jesus-Devotion in a Vesuvian Town ( https://www.logos.com/product/182642/in-stone-and-story-early-christianity-in-the-roman-world may be almost the same book, currently in the Logos incubator)

Jayson Georges, Mark D. Baker: Ministering in Honor-Shame Cultures: Biblical Foundations and Practical Essentials (A distressing book: Describes all the mistakes I've made)

Stanley E. Porter: When Paul Met Jesus: How an Idea Got Lost in History (For those who want to read something new)

Hayim Tawil: Akkadian Lexicon Companion for Biblical Hebrew Etymological, Semantic and Idiomatic Equivalence (English and Hebrew Edition) (If this ends up in Logos, I would like to buy it again)

Frishman, J: The Book of Genesis in Jewish and Oriental Christian Interpretation A Collection of Essays (Traditio Exegetica Graeca) (Only few readers might be interested in in this)

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2903
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 14 2019 1:17 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
print (new or used?) or Kindle

Mine were all print, and new. (I have not drunk the Kool-aid on ebooks yet.)

I pretty much only buy Kindle editions when they are two bucks or less (which is quite a few, actually).

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 14 2019 1:59 PM

Doc B:
(I have not drunk the Kool-aid on ebooks yet.)

Never bought any Faithlife ebooks?

Posts 673
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2019 5:48 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

For me it depends on price... I will usually go with the cheapest price, whether paper, ebook or even audio.

Not sure these are the 5 most recent but very good anyway:

1 - The Forgotten Trinity - James White (Audible)

2 - Systematic Theology - John Frame (Audible)

3 - Kingdom Come - Sam Storms (Paper)

4 - The High King of Heaven - Dean Davis (Play Books)

5 - The 5 Solas Series - Schreiner, Trueman, Wellum, Barrett, Vandrunen (Paper)

Posts 2903
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2019 7:56 AM

Rosie Perera:
Never bought any Faithlife ebooks?

A couple. The selection is terrible if you have more than two working brain cells, but then, that's Big Eva in a nutshell.

By, "drunk the Kool-aid" I mean replaced paper books with ebooks...given up my library for a thumb drive, so to speak.

I also have a personal peeve against FL ebooks...they seem to be a bit Logoshy, but the really aren't. They are meant for an e-reader, and there's pretty much one thing Logos and it's skeletonized app do poorly, and that's function as an e-reader. Them taking away our ability to move resources to Kindle was the claw that tore the camel's crack. Killed it. Ate it for lunch.

Roll Eyes

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 3713
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2019 8:38 AM

I've purchased one specific Kabbalah book on Kindle because FL only has a few in its ecosystem. I haven't bought any print editions in years.

(Of the two books by this particular author, one is published by Wipf and Stock and is available; the other is by a different publisher which probably won't get picked up.)

I'm half-way through the Kindle ebook, and was discussing the book with the author. I mentioned how I'd been struggling with some of the terminology and that I needed to make a glossary. He replied that there was one in the back of the book! If it was a print edition, I would have instinctively flipped through it back-to-front and noticed that.

I  do miss the feel of a paperback, but ebooks are certainly more convenient for highlighting and note-taking. I like how I can see all my highlights at a glance, without having to dog-ear any pages.

The minor downside is that you start at chapter one, and never get a good feel for how far along you are in an ebook, or a glimpse of what's ahead. It's also less convenient to flip back and forth to a glossary, rather than using your finger to save a previous spot.

I'd prefer everything in Logos, and consider Kindle a last resort, however the long turn-around time is the main reason why I don't tend to suggest a book.

Still hoping for Carta Jerusalem to be picked up! I definitely want the power and convenience of their books in Logos, rather than another app, and have done without, so far.

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 1538
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 12:29 AM

Not a book, but I am considering this next year:

https://www.esri.com/en-us/store/arcgis-personal-use/arcgis-for-personal-use 

It is for GIS experts (I've understood some Logos users are), and it seems to be almost reasonably priced. 

There are also other map products where the user can do various things.

For some of us making a personal map is a solution while waiting for the ultimate Logos GIS feature. And doing maps actually helps learning!

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 3580
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 3:37 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Primarily new paperbacks. Paperback for price; not-Kindle chiefly because I like having page numbers (or because there is no Kindle edition).

Posts 10
PLBuff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 18 2019 10:04 AM

I bought all of these in (used) hard copy.

The Grammar of God: A Journey into the Words and Worlds of the Bible
By Aviya Kushner

https://www.amazon.com/Grammar-God-Journey-Words-Worlds/dp/0385520824/
Fascinating interview with the author at: https://newbooksnetwork.com/aviya-kushner-the-grammar-of-god-a-journey-into-the-words-and-worlds-of-the-bible-spiegel-and-grau-2015/ 

Walking the Bible: A Journey by Land through the Five Books of Moses
By Bruce Feiler
https://www.amazon.com/Walking-Bible-Journey-Through-Books/dp/0062336509

The Next Christendom: The Coming of Global Christianity
By Philip Jenkins
https://www.amazon.com/Next-Christendom-Coming-Global-Christianity/dp/0199767467

This one is an older publication.
Bible and Sword: England and Palestine from the Bronze Age to Balfour
By Barbara W. Tuchman
https://www.amazon.com/Bible-Sword-England-Palestine-Balfour/dp/0345314271

Knowing God
by J. I. Packer
I read about this in Bible Study Magazine when they featured J.I.P. in an article.  Since it wasn't in Logos/Faithlife, I bought a hard copy. Then Faithlife picked it up, so I bought their edition, too.

Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul
By John Eldredge
It is odd that Faithlife doesn't have this book, because a "field manual" and a "small group participant's guide" are available, but the main book is not.
https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Heart-Revised-Updated-Discovering/dp/1400200393

Jerusalem: The Biography
By Simon Sebag Montefiore
https://www.amazon.com/Jerusalem-Biography-Simon-Sebag-Montefiore/dp/0307280500

I'm not a Kindle user and don't want to be.  I'd rather have a real book over Kindle. Sometimes I'll choose a real book ahead of Logos, too.  But that is a different discussion.

Posts 29136
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 18 2019 2:37 PM

New paperback in December:

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS