Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1356
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 19 2019 6:29 PM

On my Faithlife Connect subscription that just renewed, there is a tax charge ($99.99 + tax).  On my previous subscription charge, there was no tax (just the $99.99).

It's not a big deal, but I'm wondering whether I should have been charged tax before but wasn't, or... if I'm incorrectly being charged tax now, or... if some law(s) changed which now require Faithlife to tax subscriptions.

I'm curious what others see.  Confused

Posts 701
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 19 2019 6:34 PM

I too am suddenly being charged tax on all purchases (including subscriptions). I guess Faithlife is rolling out tax charges in accordance with various state laws requiring online retailers to do so.

Posts 4514
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 19 2019 6:35 PM

I can't say with certainty, but it may be related to the laws in the state you live in. Alabama recently started taxing online purchases. I'm sure other states, that were not doing so before, will soon join in.

Posts 1356
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 19 2019 7:15 PM

Fred Chapman:

I can't say with certainty, but it may be related to the laws in the state you live in. Alabama recently started taxing online purchases. I'm sure other states, that were not doing so before, will soon join in.

Thanks for the quick replies.  Smile

I live in Minnesota and online purchases have been taxed the same as brick-and-mortar purchases for several years now.  In Minnesota, some services are taxed and some aren't.  I would think Faithlife Connect would be defined as a service, but Minnesota never asked my opinion, so they might see it differently, or perhaps they have classified it as a service type that "is" taxable.

But to my knowledge, the Minnesota tax laws regulating services are the same this year as last--that's the reason I was wondering about the change in the Faithlife subscription being taxed this time but not before. 

Posts 4514
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 19 2019 9:01 PM

Rick Ausdahl:
But to my knowledge, the Minnesota tax laws regulating services are the same this year as last--that's the reason I was wondering about the change in the Faithlife subscription being taxed this time but not before. 

I would contact FL customer service and have them check it.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS