LINKING THE NASB WITH THE NKJV

Page 2 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 50 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 141
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2019 12:14 PM

I believe all my notes are chosen by "selection" (I have been highlighting a single verse or several verses at the same time before I make a personal note).These notes (over 26,000 of them) were originally meant to appear only on my nasb.  

After so many years of reading and studying out of one translation (the nasb), I decided to broaden my expectations by choosing a new translation (the nkjv) to work with.

I decided to link both translations together through the visual filter (but when I did it, it also "grabbed" the niv, the esv, and some other major translations because at one time I had linked them together to facilitate my reading on other major translations).

Whenever I used one translation, it copied what I had on the other ones until decided to un-linked them all. I called this group of bibles, "MY BIBLES.". 

I don't know how to delete the link that joins these translations. If I could delete the link, perhaps it would solve the problem, but with Logos 8, I don't know how to do it, (it was much easier with Logos 7). 

Your opinion is greatly appreciated, 

Posts 141
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2019 12:24 PM

There are 3 round yellow icons that appear on verse 19 on the right hand side. They are exactly alike if one hovers over them.  

Posts 27674
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2019 1:06 PM

Joseph Luna:
I decided to link both translations together through the visual filter

You can't do this. When you make a note by selection, it is in ONLY the one translation... unless you turn on the corresponding notes & highlights filter. Doing so will show ALL "corresponding notes & highlights" from ALL other versified translations & commentaries. 

Joseph Luna:
Whenever I used one translation, it copied what I had on the other ones

You will need to delete each of those if you don't want to see the duplicates. 

Joseph Luna:
I don't know how to delete the link that joins these translations.

Again, it is "all or nothing." 

Joseph Luna:
it was much easier with Logos 7

It is my understanding that this feature has not changed from L7 to L8. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 141
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2019 1:15 PM

Me: it was much easier with Logos 7

You: It is my understanding that this feature has not changed from L7 to L8.

Me: Like I said, I don't know how to do it. 

By the way, I was just giving you an example of what I did. None of the translations remained linked for more than a few hours. 

So to cut it short, what you are saying is that I can't link the nasb with the nkjv because it just doesn't work even though there is visual filter that it says it can?

Thank you my friend, 

Posts 27674
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2019 1:26 PM

Joseph Luna:
what you are saying is that I can't link the nasb with the nkjv because it just doesn't work even though there is visual filter that it says it can?

I was wrong (see below), but I am still confused by your comments. More screenshots might be instructive about how you have set things up. 

If you place your "by selection" notes/highlights into notebooks (named whatever you want, including the name of the translation), you can turn them on/off. Here is a screenshot of what you need to be looking for. 

If the duplicate notes you created and DON'T want to see are in the SAME notebook as the ones you DO want to see, your only choice is to delete the duplicates. If you need help with that, we can troubleshoot that issue... but I want to keep on the single topic right now. 

Can you give us a screenshot of this portion of your menu? 

Posts 27674
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2019 1:32 PM

Here is a portion of YOUR screenshot where you had said that there was a duplicate note. 

Notice that the bottom of the popup box (which appears translucent in your screenshot) says "Corresponding annotation from NASB95." That tells you that the note is not "in" the other translation, but is only appearing because you have the "corresponding notes & highlights" feature turned on. I am unsure if the "NASB95" shown in your screenshot is derived from the translation or the notebook name you gave it. 

Posts 27674
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2019 1:41 PM

Which specific version are you running? I tried to figure out where the "NASB95" came from in your screenshot. On my installation it is clear to me that that line comes from the notebook... however, mine does not say "corresponding annotation." I wonder if that is a difference between Mac/WIndows. 

Posts 233
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2019 2:12 PM

There is definitely something strange about the NASB anchor in that, it is specific to the NASB but has no text selected. This none selected text is then being applied 3 times in the KJV, looking with interlinear on in KJV it seems to show pattern, but I cannot work it out.

This is not easy to do from Windows desktop, how did you create the note?

Maybe you can move that note to a new notebook, and share that notebook with public?

Anyway I have to sleep, I am in UK, hopefully JT can resolve, or some others. Bit of a weird one.

Posts 27674
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2019 2:18 PM

Kevin - Thanks for jumping back in. Question: Do you know how he has the note say "Corresponding annotation from NASB95"? (See my post above). I could not figure out how to get a note to say that on Mac and am wondering if there is a difference between Mac/PC. 

Posts 233
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2019 2:34 PM

Hi yes JT, it is a note he has created specific to the NASB, his 2nd picture shows the note,and the anchor. It shows the 'Corresponding annotation from...' when corresponding notes visual filter is selected, as is in the KJV for him.

I think the actual problem is that for some reason that note in the NASB when applied as corresponding filter in the KJV is showing more than once in that verse. Looking in the KJV with the interlinear on, you can see it applies just after whereever there is a word in the english text that does not exist in the greek.

I just posted above you, it is weird that he has somehow created it with no text selected in the NASB....but that might be a conversion issue and how notes used to be anchored.

Anyway cheers, bit of weird one...hopefully this has not confused the issue. Yes

Posts 141
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2019 2:45 PM

You are correct in what you said Kevin, although it is not the kjv but the nkjv (no biggie). 

i appreciate people getting on the wagon. Perhaps someone may be able to solve this puzzle. 

Posts 141
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2019 2:56 PM

You are absolutely correct JT. The notes I created in the nasb, I wanted to be copied to the nkjv through the visual filter (see below). 

The issue as you know is that it did copy it into the nkjv through the "Notes and highlights corresponding", but it duplicated the notes sometimes even 4 times! 

Posts 141
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2019 3:33 PM

JT: Below I have two screenshots which indicate a visual filter for both translations although I don't see the Exegetical Notes or the Illustrations boxes that it shows on your post (not on the search box either). 

7444.LOGOS SCREENSHOT.docx

Posts 27674
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2019 6:14 PM

I need to finish a couple projects here at home but wanted to respond real quick to three things:

1. The “Exegetical Notes” and “Illustrations” boxes you see on my post are notebooks which I created... You will not have them unless you create them (and there is no reason for you to do so unless you want to put notes into notebooks with those names).
  2. It would be helpful for you to be more clear with what you mean by “copied.” You wrote: “The issue as you know is that it did copy it into the nkjv through the "Notes and highlights corresponding", but it duplicated the notes sometimes even 4 times! ” The use of the word “copy” or “copied” should not be used when talking about the ”corresponding“ feature. The notes are NOT copied from one translation to another. Rather, the note which is attached to one is SHOWN in the other (through the visual filter menu). Have you manually copied any notes?
  3. You have mentioned several times that notes have been duplicated, “even 4 times,” yet from your screenshots I haven’t seen even one duplicate note. Can you be explicit to point one out?

Posts 141
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2019 7:44 PM

JT, you are correct. I apologize for using the wrong wording. As for your question, I have no copied any notes. 

The same notes taken from the NASB are showing 2, 3 or 4 times throughout the NKJV instead of just being one. 

Please take a look at verse 16. You will notice that the NASB has one red note while the NKJV has 4 notes. All are exactly the same, 

7080.LOGOS 8 SCREENSHOT.docx

Posts 27674
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2019 8:31 PM

Why do you think they are the same note? From the screenshots, they don’t appear to be! What happens when you delete one?

Posts 141
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 1 2019 6:55 AM

Because I can see they are duplicates. Visually, you can compare the notes that are on one verse located on the left side with the notes that are on the parallel translation on the right and see the difference in the number of notes. As far as I'm concerned, I don't know why the notes that are shown are being duplicated 2, 3 or even 4 times. I have 26,000 plus notes on my NASB.

If I delete a particular note from the NKJV, all the "duplicates" disappear. With that, the original note on my NASB also disappears. In order to avoid that, I have to highlight my original note and use the "copy and paste" procedure to ensure I can recreate it again.

Now, if I recreate the deleted note on my NASB, the duplicates will show up again. But if I recreate my original note on the NKJV, it will remain as one note, but I will no longer have my original note on my NASB. I other words, I can't have both notes at the same time, (but I refer only to the ones that have been duplicated). 

I think it is important to add that not all notes that are showing on my NKJV are being duplicated or triplicated. 

This is too much work to do by hand. I'm really surprised that helpdesk will not take the time to investigate this issue and find out why it's happening. 

Posts 141
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 1 2019 7:21 AM

JT. I just tried something new. I clicked on my "notes and highlight corresponding" on my NASB without using the NKJV box of "notes and highlight corresponding", meaning, there is no link between these two translations 

What happened is that it duplicated the notes to seven times on my NASB! Please look at verse four of the screenshot. These seven notes are identical. When I checked off the "notes and highlight corresponding" box, it went back to only one note. 

8176.MAT 4 SCREENSHOT.docx

Posts 233
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 1 2019 8:19 AM

It is easier Joseph if you just embed the image in the forum, using the paperclip icon. Not everyone will have word, or will want to open it.

I have added your image for other to see.

Incidentally, there are 7 words in the nasb that are not in the greek in that verse, although verse 3 has 4 but not  4 extra notes, so maybe not related. Still, maybe could you please turn on your interlinear and then take a screen shot of the verse which will may show further details?

Posts 141
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 1 2019 9:11 AM

Thanks, I will do it as you said and copy the screenshot to "paint" instead. 

The note that I created is simply a personal observation of the verse of what I think it means. It has nothing to do with the Greek. 

The screenshot of my duplicate notes is below, 

Page 2 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS