Question on tagging in Journals

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3111
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 7 2019 8:06 AM

If I'm having a brain lapse I apologize but I'm curious how tagging works in journals and if there is a better way to search them to find the topics you are studying.  Exempli gratia, I did a passage guide on Judges 11:29-40, Jephthah's vow and it only returned one journal from the Tyndale Bulletin.  I thought that was odd so I did a search of that same reference using Journals only and I got hits in 119 articles.  Now I know not every article talks about the verse above exclusively but some seemed to be oddly missing like BSAC 167, THE ETHICAL CHALLENGE OF JEPHTHAH’S FULFILLED VOW and JDTV15's ANALYSIS OF VOWS IN THE BOOK OF JUDGES. 

Shouldn't those come up from a passage guide search? 

Am I expecting too much and should dial down my expectations?

How do you professional researchers go about searching journals in Logos?  Header search, passage search, topic/name search?

Thx in advance

Posts 3111
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 7 2019 8:11 AM

Posts 2181
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 7 2019 8:12 AM

Hi Matillo,

Here are two options:

• All my journals are in a collection and I use the Cited By tool, then select to search journals and can add words to the search to tweak it. The Cited By tool is much more broad and will pick up book reviews. But you can tweak the search to delete them.
  • I included a collection/Journals in my topic guide. It will perform a search on headings. Again, through that section I can run a search and tweak the search by including verse references.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS