SSD Question

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 6224
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 8 2019 9:43 AM

Do I need a fresh install of Logos if I clone my HD into an SSD or does it automatically appear when I’m done cloning and installing the SSD? Also, Will Logos reindex everything again?

Thanks!

DAL

Posts 2061
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 8 2019 9:50 AM

DAL:

Do I need a fresh install of Logos if I clone my HD into an SSD or does it automatically appear when I’m done cloning and installing the SSD? Also, Will Logos reindex everything again?

Thanks!

DAL

If you are cloning the entire drive, then Logos and everything else should start up and run just like the old drive. No reinstalling or indexing needed.

Posts 233
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 8 2019 9:51 AM

I have cloned drives to SSD's a couple of times and everything worked as expected only a lot faster!

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Posts 6224
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 8 2019 10:01 AM

Thanks guys! Any particular video tutorial on how to do this — YouTube or otherwise. I can’t seem to find a video for a Dell Spiron.  It’s brand new, but it’s an HD not SSD. Since  I didn’t spend money buying the laptop at least I can spend some to upgrade the HD to SSD.

Thanks again!

DAL

Posts 975
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 8 2019 10:55 AM

Look at your owner's manual and see if there is an empty M.2 or msata slot. My Dell came with a HDD but also an empty slot where I could put in an SSD so now I have both. Or search your model number on Youtube along with SSD and see if someone has made a video about that.

Posts 6224
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 8 2019 11:07 AM

Tom Reynolds:

Look at your owner's manual and see if there is an empty M.2 or msata slot. My Dell came with a HDD but also an empty slot where I could put in an SSD so now I have both. Or search your model number on Youtube along with SSD and see if someone has made a video about that.

Will do 👍😁👌

Thanks!

DAL

Posts 2034
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 8 2019 5:21 PM

Just my opinion, but unless you are sure, I wouldn't clone a SSD. It will work and be fast, but your SSD may not start out very clean. Just do it the hard way.

Posts 660
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 8 2019 6:04 PM

I converted 2 desktops with 1T hdd to 1T ssd. I converted a laptop with 512GB to 1T ssd. All 3 run much faster, even though the controllers are SATA 2. I completely removed all 3 hdd. I have a huge Logos library and it indexes in 5 min. or much less. I would install Win. 10, both Logos program and library on a 1T ssd. It saved me from doing a performance upgrade. Make sure you get the partitions formatted correctly with Easeus.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/personal.html

You might want to read this thread. https://community.logos.com/forums/p/179178/1035067.aspx#1035067

Cloning did not work well for me, mostly because of the way windows set up the partitions. I set the partitions with easeus and did a clean install. Works great. You might want to search for some additional ssd threads.

Posts 622
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2019 4:23 AM

#eyesglazeover

#GreekorGeek

#Foreignlanguage

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS