Logos 8 start

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 455
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2019 12:38 PM

And that's the way it will work Mark, at times. There's been times "preparing your library" has shown close to 20 seconds.The near 20 second thing is not normal for this computer. And I think the reason it was showing faster in the logs you read, is that I had started it up several times without rebooting the machine, after having deleted the file mentioned earlier on in this thread. 

But whatever, this "preparing the library" is a new thing on the block having started showing about two weeks back. There might have been a once in a blue moon this would show but not every single time as it is now. And that others are noticing this has it not singled down to just myself. 

Do you feel there has been something added to the programming or is it a glitch or do you feel this is going to be the norm? 

ASUS Rogue / 500 GB Samsung SSD / 500 GB HD / 16 Gigs of RAM/ Logos 8 Full Feature Set / Faithlife Connect Essentials 

Posts 2057
LogosEmployee

Mark Barnes:
Finished startup at 3m 14.6s.

Despite the text of this log message, it's not really a useful measure of how quick the application is starting up.

However, this is:

Mark's log file:
Showing main window at 194.294 seconds.

It looks like your preferences are set to restore your last layout from any installation. This forces the application to wait until sync completes before starting up. Set this preference to last local layout to eliminate this wait.

Unfortunately, there's not enough information in the log to determine exactly what is causing the additional time. I assume that subsequent restarts don't exhibit the same slow startup times?

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2019 1:41 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
I assume that subsequent restarts don't exhibit the same slow startup times?

Nowhere near as bad. But with most recent layout still set to any, a restart just now took 35.483s by your metric (the most recent layout was blank). There's a lot of general slowness (e.g. in caching collections), too, even though there's no disk activity and minimal CPU activity from other apps. I long suspected that metadata updates cause collections to keep caching because caching isn't paused during the update. If so, that might account for some of the issue.

2476.Logos.log

Changing to a local layout reduced that to 12.898s and then to 11.54s, which still feels fairly slow, especially when all the files should be cached in RAM because I closed and restarted immediately, and there's nothing to sync with. I checked some old logs at random. 7s or 8s is normal for me, although it's not difficult to find occasions where Logos has taken 30s or longer to start. One took 275s (4½ minutes) because of a massive sync! 0211.Logos (2019_02_06 11_53_20 UTC).log

It looks like your preferences are set to restore your last layout from any installation. This forces the application to wait until sync completes before starting up. Set this preference to last local layout to eliminate this wait.

That's helpful to now. It was set to "Most recent layout - any". I've changed it now.

Unfortunately, there's not enough information in the log to determine exactly what is causing the additional time.

I don't know whether it's relevant, but I did notice that one of the books I purchased didn't show up in the notification menu, and there were some errors about that book in the logs (though they didn't seem relevant to the slowness). This is happened during the original 194s log I first reported.

Posts 18645
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 29 2019 10:58 PM

Rosie Perera:
Still waiting for a follow-up answer from Faithlife.

I didn't see anything that stood out in your logs. It's likely that something has happened that has generally slowed down startup, but it will require more investigation for us to track down.

Here's another log now that I've updated to Logos 8.5. I made sure to shut down and restart Logos and let all the updates and indexing complete several times (at least 3 or 4) before it finally had nothing more to download or index, and then I restarted it again one more time just for good measure, and yet it is still saying "preparing your library" every time at startup.

1588.Logos.log

From "UpdatePipelineManager  Initializing update pipeline stages" to "UpdatePipelineManager  Finished checking for updates" takes from 22:27:13.8177 to 22:31:46.3653, over 4 and 1/2 minutes! That's the bottleneck.

The software isn't ready to use for real until this bottleneck is through. It's a pain in the butt. Every single time I start it up.

Oh wait. I just started it one more time and it didn't do that. This time it took only 26 seconds. See if you can tell what's the difference.

1526.Logos.log

And now it seems to finally be starting up in a reasonable amount of time. This was achieved only after restarting at least four times, though. This is still pretty troubling.

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS