Finding new resources in the library

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1007
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 3 2019 3:53 PM

Is there any way to determine the date when a resource was added to one's library? Sometimes books are promised as part of a collection or base package, but are released later than when the package is first sold (e.g. some commentaries). I don't always know when these are added to my library, until I stumble onto it later.

I know that I can look at the Library browser and sort by Last Updated. But this includes resources that are updated, which can include minor type corrections or changes to tags. The same is true of the list of resources updated that shows up in the notification on the Toolbar.

It would be nice if the list of resources updated distinguished new from updated resources. Alternatively, a field in the Library Browser for dated added to library would do the trick.

Posts 27553
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 3 2019 4:13 PM

Unfortunately no. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2067
LogosEmployee

There is a special log file which records when resources were added to your library. Look for a file called ResourceAuditLog.xxx.txt (where "xxx" is some number) located in your normal log folder (note that this has changed recently on Windows to %LocalAppData%\Faithlife\Logs\Logos\). Look for lines that start with AddedResourceFile and AddedMetadataDownload.

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 3 2019 5:36 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

There is a special log file which records when resources were added to your library. Look for a file called ResourceAuditLog.xxx.txt (where "xxx" is some number) located in your normal log folder (note that this has changed recently on Windows to %LocalAppData%\Faithlife\Logs\Logos\). Look for lines that start with AddedResourceFile and AddedMetadataDownload.

Does this information hold true for MacOS?

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 2067
LogosEmployee

Beloved:
Does this information hold true for MacOS?

Yes. It's located in your normal log folder.

Posts 27553
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 3 2019 6:04 PM

Andrew: does this show when the resource was PURCHASED or when it was first downloaded on a particular device? Also, if the info is readily available, why not make it available in the library?

Posts 3191
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 3 2019 6:11 PM

JT (alabama24):
Also, if the info is readily available, why not make it available in the library?

A possibly related question just came up in a different thread. It sure would be convenient if that info was conveniently available.

Posts 2067
LogosEmployee

JT (alabama24):
Andrew: does this show when the resource was PURCHASED or when it was first downloaded on a particular device?

It shows when the resource was first detected on a particular device. Depending on your configuration and the exact order of events, this may mean when the resource was first downloaded, or when the metadata was first downloaded (whichever happens first).

JT (alabama24):
Also, if the info is readily available, why not make it available in the library?

Mostly because the case to add that column hasn't yet been made a priority.

Posts 27553
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 3 2019 9:12 PM

It shows when the resource was first detected on a particular device.

I don't know how beneficial that column would be if that is the case. It isn't a "purchased" date and it only reflects when the resource was first added to that computer. A new installation, for example, would make all 10,000 resources of mine appear to have the same date. 

For a period of time I ran SQL reports for a large organization. I was fairly new to SQL, but I was given explicit instructions for how the reports were to be run. When I brought up the fact that the way the information was gathered was flawed, I was told to get back to work. Tongue Tied Don't know why I got sidetracked there except to say I would not be in favor of that column unless it was an actual "purchase" date. 

Posts 1007
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 3 2019 10:19 PM

JT (alabama24):
I would not be in favor of that column unless it was an actual "purchase" date. 

The purchase date would be useful, unless it was a prepublication item that was released later. This can happen when books in a series are not all released at the same time.

Posts 17905
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 3 2019 10:36 PM

JT (alabama24):

It shows when the resource was first detected on a particular device.

I don't know how beneficial that column would be if that is the case. It isn't a "purchased" date and it only reflects when the resource was first added to that computer. A new installation, for example, would make all 10,000 resources of mine appear to have the same date. 

User Voice suggestion => Need "Date Added to library" for the library list currently has 35 votes.

Dreaming of Library "purchase date" column with link to order history, which shows day license was acquired (not first appearance on device).

Would appreciate a way to show what resource license(s) were included in base package, library expansion, builder, bundle, ... purchases: e.g. Library column(s) and/or Web Store. Challenge is historical resource collections that are no longer offered for sale.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 13345
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 4 2019 2:13 AM

Just to be clear about the meaning of these lines, I presume that AddedMetadataDownload means "added a resource and downloading new metadata about that resource", and AddedResourceFile means "added a resource but no new metadata was required".

Posts 9966
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 4 2019 2:28 AM

Harry Hahne:
I know that I can look at the Library browser and sort by Last Updated. But this includes resources that are updated, which can include minor type corrections or changes to tags. (...) It would be nice if the list of resources updated distinguished new from updated resources. Alternatively, a field in the Library Browser for dated added to library would do the trick.

Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious, but isn't the "Added" facet exactly what you're looking for? It's located directly under the "Updated" facet, at the very last position in the facets list, and allows for the same time period splits as the "Updated" filter, thus giving the resources that were newly added to this installation of Logos.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 2067
LogosEmployee

Mark Barnes:
Just to be clear about the meaning of these lines, I presume that AddedMetadataDownload means "added a resource and downloading new metadata about that resource", and AddedResourceFile means "added a resource but no new metadata was required".

Not quite. AddedMetadataDownload means that it was added to your library as the result of downloading new metadata. AddedResourceFile means it was added to your library as the result of discovering the resource.

It's possible for you to download a new resource and then subsequently download updated metadata.

The audit log message is just recording the time at which it was added to the library catalog along with the triggering event that caused it to be added.

Posts 24847
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 4 2019 6:11 AM

NB.Mick:

Harry Hahne:
...Alternatively, a field in the Library Browser for dated added to library would do the trick.

Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious, but isn't the "Added" facet exactly what you're looking for? It's located directly under the "Updated" facet, at the very last position in the facets list, and allows for the same time period splits as the "Updated" filter, thus giving the resources that were newly added to this installation of Logos.

The Added facet is reasonable. If you want to be more precise, you can filter Library with something like Addeddate:<June 2, 2019> (it isn't viewable in Library, unlike Last Updated).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 13345
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 4 2019 10:05 AM

Not quite. AddedMetadataDownload means that it was added to your library as the result of downloading new metadata. AddedResourceFile means it was added to your library as the result of discovering the resource.

If you have time, it would be interesting to know how why there are two mechanisms, and what causes a resource to be added to the library by one way or the other.

Posts 2067
LogosEmployee

Mark Barnes:
If you have time, it would be interesting to know how why there are two mechanisms, and what causes a resource to be added to the library by one way or the other.

It's just whichever happens first. If you are set to automatically download new resources, then depending on the timing of various factors, it's possible that the resource could get downloaded before the first metadata update occurs. A good example is the first time you run the application in a new installation. A number of resources may be downloaded and discovered before the metadata gets downloaded.

Posts 1007
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 4 2019 12:27 PM

Dave Hooton:
The Added facet is reasonable. If you want to be more precise, you can filter Library with something like Addeddate:<June 2, 2019> (it isn't viewable in Library, unlike Last Updated).

This is a useful hidden feature. I discovered that you can enter a date range: Addeddate:<June 2, 2018-June 2, 2019>

But you cannot enter just a year: Addeddate:<2019>

To make this information truly user friendly, I would like:

1. I would like to be able to sort in the Library Browser by Added Date, so I can see the most recently added resources at the top.
  2. I would like the message about the latest update to list Added resources separately, rather than mixing them in with the Updated resources.
Posts 24847
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 4 2019 2:55 PM

Harry Hahne:

This is a useful hidden feature. I discovered that you can enter a date range: Addeddate:<June 2, 2018-June 2, 2019>

But you cannot enter just a year: Addeddate:<2019>

See https://wiki.logos.com/Library__#Search_Fields_that_you_can_use_in_the_Find_box for full syntax e.g. addeddate:2019

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS