Restore front and back matter to Bibles and other resources

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3680
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 6 2019 6:39 AM

I'm sure this must have been mentioned in the past but here goes again: please do ensure that front matters are properly included in resources, starting with Bibles. These include important information for using the resource. 

For instance, the NASB95 has no preface at all. The paragraph edition includes the preface but omits the sigla. Thus, a reader who is not familiar with the conventions used has no means to tell what text included in square brackets means.

Another example consists of some versions of Nestle Aland of whose very helpful addenda were not included in the logos edition.

I don't know how many other resources may be affected by this. I seem to vaguely recall (not redundant) back indexes missing from some monographs.

Posts 603
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2019 8:58 AM

Yes, please. This seems entirely logical and doable to me.

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2019 11:27 AM

Yes Geeked Yes

-dan

Posts 2305
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2019 2:20 PM

I roundly add my agreement as to the importance of this request.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 27686
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2019 5:12 PM

Francis:

For instance, the NASB95 has no preface at all. .

I have it in mine... you probably have “Bible text only” turned on. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3680
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2019 11:17 PM

JT (alabama24):
I have it in mine... you probably have “Bible text only” turned on.

Oopsie: you're right! However, the list of symbols which is found in print NASB is still missing.

Posts 27686
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2019 3:10 AM

Photo for reference? Also, copyright info?

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2019 3:45 AM

Two requests:

1. Add the introductory material to the Rahlfs-Hanhart Septuaginta.

2. Add the footnotes to the 1901 ASV.

Posts 27686
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2019 5:30 AM

Matthew:
Add the introductory material to the Rahlfs-Hanhart Septuaginta.

Do you have a link to this in the store? A direct cut-paste search produces no results. In any case, did you double check to make sure "bible text only" wasn't selected? 

Posts 3680
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2019 6:18 AM

Copyright 1995 Lockman Foundation

Posts 27686
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2019 6:50 AM

Thanks!

I agree this should be in the front matter (as long as it is actually in the original text and not just a special version).

Often FL takes these sort of things and simply hyperlinks them. If you hover over one of the asterisks in Matthew 22:20-21, there is a popup for "star," which I assume is included in the material you are looking at. That should not, however, replace the front matter. 

Posts 3680
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2019 7:59 AM

Look at Job 23:2 in the NASB95 (not the paragraph version). There is a footnote that reads "So with Gr and Syr; M.T. My". The abbreviations are not hyperlinked so that one can see what they mean. So it is a definite lacunae. This is not an omission in one passage: it is lacking in other passages as well.  

Posts 2467
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2019 9:16 AM

An absolute no-brainer of a suggestion, i.e. it should be implemented right away! Geeked

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2019 4:33 PM

JT (alabama24):
Do you have a link to this in the store?

It is what Logos markets as Septuaginta: SESB Edition, but it is really just the edition of the Septuagint edited by Rahlfs and revised by Hanhart. I got my copy as part of a Stuttgart Scholarly Editions bundle that no longer appears to be for sale. It is pretty much the standard scholarly edition of the Septuagint, or at least until the Göttingen Septuagint is complete. I have raised several issues with this particular resource in the past that are still not fixed. See Kyle's responses in this thread. To be fair, the holdup may be with the publisher, not with Faithlife.

JT (alabama24):
In any case, did you double check to make sure "bible text only" wasn't selected? 

I can confirm that this is not the problem (although I wish it was, as that would be a quick fix!).

Posts 27686
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2019 6:06 PM

Yes

Posts 27686
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2019 6:09 PM

Matthew:
See Kyle's responses in this thread. To be fair, the holdup may be with the publisher, not with Faithlife.

You should go ahead and bump the thread, in the hopes that Kyle is one of the two who subscribed to the thread. 

Posts 2305
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 24 2019 10:37 AM

Francis:
I'm sure this must have been mentioned in the past but here goes again: please do ensure that front matters are properly included in resources, starting with Bibles. These include important information for using the resource.

Add Westcott-Hort Greek New Testament. Missing cited Introduction and Appendix.

(see Westcott and Hort, Introduction [and] Appendix, 212–50). Cited by Daniel B. Wallace in his article Textual Criticism of the New Testament in the LBD.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 3238
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 24 2019 12:26 PM

Agreed

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS