The Latest Beta Download has Corrupted My Logos 4

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 67
LogosEmployee
Bryan Albert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2010 4:03 PM | Locked

Please see my response at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/18200/137456.aspx#137456

Thanks,

Bryan

Posts 25053
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2010 4:25 PM | Locked

DustinPearson:
So far so good it seems. Recognized my saved log in, settings and resources installed on the PC. The resource folder has 2,444 files but Logos Library only reports 2,309 resources is this correct?

I always track things by remembering what Library says I have. It is always less than the number of files in the Resource folder, so your figures could be OK.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 854
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 6:43 AM | Locked

I would really prefer to wait for a FIX in the next beta. I was having a hard time with crashes initially, then everything just settled down.It took some perseverance getting through, but after about 5-6 crashes I experienced a calm. I don't know about the inner workings or what has been written or unwritten there, but its been smooth sailing since the calm. L4 seems to be working well and without crashing.

Question: why should I not wait to see what the next beta brings before going into the internal workings of directories and registries ???

Posts 25053
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 7:19 AM | Locked

Ron Corbett:

Question: why should I not wait to see what the next beta brings before going into the internal workings of directories and registries ???

If you had a custom installation and Beta 3 messed it up then a registry fix as described (and endorsed by Logos) is the sure way to get back on track  - see http://community.logos.com/forums/p/18200/137730.aspx#137730

I think Beta 4 will be a normal update and assume your installation is correct, but you can confirm that by asking Bryan in the above thread.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Anonymous | | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2010 10:53 AM | Locked

My "clever" plan of skipping beta 3 and going direct to beta 4 didn't help any.  The beta 4 installer also deleted the key.  The only difference from what was described in beta 3 is that beta 4 wouldn't run at all without the key rather than trying to redownload everything.

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2010 10:59 AM | Locked

Jeffrey Glen Jackson:
My "clever" plan of skipping beta 3 and going direct to beta 4 didn't help any

Having got Logos 4 up and running again my clever plan is to avoid the Beta Channel for a while...

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 67
LogosEmployee
Bryan Albert | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2010 11:05 AM | Locked

Jeffrey Glen Jackson:

My "clever" plan of skipping beta 3 and going direct to beta 4 didn't help any.  The beta 4 installer also deleted the key.  The only difference from what was described in beta 3 is that beta 4 wouldn't run at all without the key rather than trying to redownload everything.

Jeffrey, I'll look into this and get right back to you.

Bryan

Posts 67
LogosEmployee
Bryan Albert | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2010 1:50 PM | Locked

Jeffrey Glen Jackson:

Jeffrey,

When you say that it won't run at all, what exactly does it do? When you launch it from the shortcut, do you see the splash screen? Do you see the Sign In screen? Do you get an error message? 

From the tests that I've run, I believe that if you add the Logos4 registry key and InstallDirectory value back to your registry that you should be fine--Logos 4 should start like nothing happened. Here are instructions:

1. Run regedit.exe (Windows key + R, type regedit, OK) 
  2. In the tree on the left, open the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key, open the Software key and open the Logos4 key if it exists 
  3. If the Logos4 key doesn't exist on the left, right-click on Software and choose New > Key from the menu, type in Logos4 <Enter>
  4. Right-click in the right pane and choose New > String Value, enter the name InstallDirectory 
  5. Double-click on your new InstallDirectory String Value and type the path to your Logos4 install directory in the Value data: field (e.g. D:\Logos4), click OK
  6. Enable logging with http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/Installer/EnableLogging.js 
  7. Restart Logos 4

If this doesn't work, please post back an explanation of what went wrong, and your log files, and I'll have a look. 

Bryan

Anonymous | | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2010 2:27 PM | Locked

I got the dialog message that Windows had to shut down the program.   This happened repeatedly.  I added the missing registry key and Logos 4 came back up without a problem.  I apologize that I didn't make it clear in the original post that I added the "InstallDirectory" string and everything started working OK.  I was suprised though that going from Beta 2 to Beta 4 (I even cleared out the UpdateManager directory and downloaded fresh before allowing the update to happen) still deleted the registry entry.   Would going from a fixed Beta 3 to Beta 4 have broken it again?  Or was this just an artifact of how you build up cumulative updates?

Posts 25053
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2010 4:48 PM | Locked

Jeffrey Glen Jackson:
Would going from a fixed Beta 3 to Beta 4 have broken it again? 

My fixed Beta 3 updated to Beta4 without a problem. I surmise the key had been removed by Setup in B3 even though you did not allow the actual Update program to run.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS