Allow Subscribers the ability to delete posts

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 64
Robert J. | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 11 2019 3:41 PM

I am active on many forums and this is the only one that I am not able to delete a post, or edit after one day.

I accidentally double posted in the Mobile App forum yesterday but didn't see it quickly enough, and today am unable to delete, or edit it.

thx Rob.

Posts 3108
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 11 2019 4:29 PM

We can delete and edit our posts within two hours of the post.

After that, those options are unavailable, and an FL employee would have to delete it for us.

Sorry for the short interval!

Posts 18634
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 11 2019 5:20 PM

Agreed. There doesn't seem to be any good reason to limit the editability/deletability of posts by the author to a window of 2 hours after the post was made. I'm guessing that is a settable parameter in the forum software that FL developers could change, and I would lobby for making it at least 24 hours, if not indefinite.

The only time I know of that nefarious things could be done by editing a post after the fact is when spammers put up something innocuous and then later edit it to add a whole bunch of links to sites they are promoting. But that can be dealt with by mods deleting the post altogether.

Usually if someone wants to edit their post after the fact, it's because they noticed an error in their post, or because they realized they'd said something inflammatory that they wished they hadn't said. Or wanted to add some extra information on a bug report, for example. In those cases, I see no point in having a cutoff time beyond which they can no longer edit it. (It's true that after 24 hours, probably the edit will go unnoticed by most who have read the post already, so perhaps it makes sense to limit to 24 hours, but even after that should be possible with an "Are you sure you want to do this; nobody is going to notice you're making this change." message.)

Posts 64
Robert J. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 11 2019 6:08 PM

One of the most valuable reasons to allow unlimited edit/delete is when issues are resolved, that can be reflected in the title.

This is very useful for people looking for answers.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS