Collection Rules for Introductions

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 20 2019 10:33 AM

Does anyone know whether there are example collection rules for Introductions?  I've had a quick look and can't see any.

I'm thinking specifically for books such as those listed under:

https://www.bestcommentaries.com/ot-introductions/ and

https://www.bestcommentaries.com/nt-introductions/

Thanks.

Posts 2787
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2019 12:37 PM

Good question. I'm not aware of any and I don't immediately see a creative way to make one (that means, something other than typing in all the authors or titles). These seem to be categorized several different ways in Logos.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2019 1:08 PM

{SubjectGroup "Bible O.T.--Introductions", "Bible N.T.--Introductions"} is a pretty good start.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2019 1:25 PM

Doc B - Thanks for thinking about it.

Mark - Thanks for showing me the obvious.  This is exactly what I wanted.

Randy - Thanks for pointing to that thread.  It gives me some ideas of other ways to play, as I explore what else I may be interested in.

Posts 24701
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2019 5:51 PM

Mark Barnes:

{SubjectGroup "Bible O.T.--Introductions", "Bible N.T.--Introductions"} is a pretty good start.

Because of a typo in at least one book's metadata, use the more flexible Subject:("Bible O.T.--Introductions", "Bible N.T.--Introductions")

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2019 3:28 AM

Thanks, Dave.

Can you explain the difference between how the two rules work?

Posts 644
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2019 7:04 AM

Here's the string I use: Subject:(Bible,Epistle) Subject:(Introductions,Textbooks)

Posts 9913
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2019 9:17 AM

Andrew Baguley:

Mark used a new search syntax that was added to Logos in order to speed up the building of collections. It is a bit less intuitive than the usual search syntax - and it only works through 1:1 matches including spelling etc.

Dave used the usual search syntax, which will strip out all non-alphabet characters and IIRC will match if the search string is identical to the beginning of the text in the index database. 

When I run both against my library, Mark's will miss the NT Introduction by FW Farrar titled "The Messages of the Books" because the subject field contains "Bible. N.T--Introductions" i.e. missing the dot behind the T of N.T. which I assume is the typo Dave referred to. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 24701
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2019 5:13 PM

Andrew Baguley:

Thanks, Dave.

Kiyah's use of Subject:(Bible,Epistle) Subject:(Introductions,Textbooks) illustrates the flexibility.

There will be a match as long as the Subject field in Library contains "Bible" OR "Epistle"  together with "Introductions" OR "Textbooks". It illustrates that  the original suggestion omits Bible--Introductions, which covers all bible books. From that point of view, you could just use:

Subject:Bible Subject:Introductions.  

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 24 2019 10:34 AM

Thanks everyone.  I now have what I need.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS