Warning If You Had Beta 3 Install Issue Check Your Sync Files

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 10 2010 2:36 PM | Locked

Another issue with the Beta 3 install issues seems to be that I have lost the data that was synched to the Logos servers as it has all been over written by the contents of the new directories that the install process created. I will have to try and restore them from my most recent backup but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2010 1:00 AM | Locked

Leaving my Logos to sort out the resources over night this morning my 'missing' sync files are back alongside the others that appeared yesterday so all I need to do now is tidy up my files.

God Bless

Graham

Posts 25111
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2010 5:58 AM | Locked

Graham Owen:
Leaving my Logos to sort out the resources over night this morning my 'missing' sync files are back

That's good to know. It is fairly common that some files take longer to sync across - collections being the most common.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2010 7:33 AM | Locked

Dave Hooton:
It is fairly common that some files take longer to sync across - collections being the most common.

Hi Dave

This was not common knowledge to me, in contrast to transferring Logos 4 to a new PC this experience has been a nightmare. Whilst everything is OK now it has definitely undermined my personal confidence in the current structure of Logos and the dependency on the "Cloud" for resource and program updates along with the synchronisation of files. I'm glad that in the end I did not need to restore a copy of my data files from a backup because I'm really not sure what the synch process would of made of them...

Right now I would really like to have a localised backup and restore strategy published, tested and approved by Logos for my personal data that is independent of the Cloud and under my control. Logos 4 is the only program on my PC that I am not confident in the data backup of this was not true of Logos 3.

God Bless

Graham

Posts 25111
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2010 5:44 PM | Locked

Graham Owen:
Whilst everything is OK now it has definitely undermined my personal confidence in the current structure of Logos and the dependency on the "Cloud" for resource and program updates along with the synchronisation of files.

The sync issue was reported to Logos some time ago but there is no indication as to when it will be fixed.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 25111
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2010 5:50 PM | Locked

Graham Owen:
Right now I would really like to have a localised backup and restore strategy published, tested and approved by Logos for my personal data that is independent of the Cloud and under my control. Logos 4 is the only program on my PC that I am not confident in the data backup of this was not true of Logos 3.

There has been a lively discussion about this in at least two threads. Just look for titles with "cloud" in them.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2010 6:46 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:
There has been a lively discussion about this in at least two threads. Just look for titles with "cloud" in them.

Yes, and we still don't have backups in any kind of "normal" way, as for most every other application in the known world.

What if the error had been only a little different, or one of the sync rules was only a little different and the "blank" local install "overwrote" anything saved at Logos?

I fear we will need an event with massive lost user-content before Logos will code a local backup/restore for our data. That would be "expensive" so I'm not wanting that to be the way this resolves.

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 12:33 PM | Locked

Graham Owen:
this experience has been a nightmare

It is an unfortunate aspect of the beta process that we risk stuff like this happening... I guess we're all suckers for punishment Smile

But I don't at all understand your conclusions about the back up and sync process. All you had to do was run the installer, walk away, and let it do its thing. The entire process worked flawlessly, all your data was restored without any user intervention whatsoever. Do any of your other programs do that? Surprise

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 2:29 PM | Locked

Jon:
It is an unfortunate aspect of the beta process that we risk stuff like this happening... I guess we're all suckers for punishment Smile

And I thought the beta program participation was voluntary! So much for "Free-Will.".

I do thank you people for suffering so much for the rest of us.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 25111
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 9:36 PM | Locked

Jon:

Graham Owen:
this experience has been a nightmare

But I don't at all understand your conclusions about the back up and sync process. All you had to do was run the installer, walk away, and let it do its thing. The entire process worked flawlessly, all your data was restored without any user intervention whatsoever. Do any of your other programs do that? Surprise

Graham was the first to suffer from B3's corruption of the registry keys & attempted a re-install  http://community.logos.com/forums/t/18189.aspx?PageIndex=1

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 7:57 PM | Locked

Jon:
The entire process worked flawlessly, all your data was restored

I lost ALL my collections.

A week later and the cloud has NOT restored them. All of the rest of my user files/data  etc was restored/synced

Regards, SteveF

Posts 25111
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 11:37 PM | Locked

SteveF:

Under what circumstances? Did you have more than one installation?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2737
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 12:20 AM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

Graham Owen:

I just do it by simple backup of whole Logos 4 folder. Troublesome but effective.

Bohuslav

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 5:40 AM | Locked

Jon:
The entire process worked flawlessly, all your data was restored without any user intervention whatsoever

Hi Jon

Not totally true...

First I had to 'persuade' Logos 4 to stop trying to download 11.9GB of data and use the copy of the resources that were already on my hard drive. To do this I had to resort to a number of procedures written by end users and not Logos. It took me 4 attempts to get to get an install that would allow me to use Scan rather than download...

Once I had Logos up and running and had completed a Sync I did not have the correct version of my files, I waited some time and checked my files again and eventually left the system on over night. The next morning my files were there along with some that should not have been!

Flawless is not a word that I would use to describe my experience...

God Bless

Graham

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 5:46 AM | Locked

Bohuslav Wojnar:
I just do it by simple backup of whole Logos 4 folder. Troublesome but effective.

I already do this but have now added a second more frequent backup of the documents sub directory.

The big problem is that I am unclear about what would happen if I chose to restore the files from my backup to recover a note or clipping that I had deleted. Depending how the sync process works the system could simply update my restored version by deleting the 'restored' note or clipping as the version on the server is more up to date than the one on my PC and is therefore the 'correct' version.

God Bless

Graham

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 6:02 AM | Locked

Graham Owen:
The big problem is that I am unclear about what would happen if I chose to restore the files from my backup to recover a note or clipping that I had deleted. Depending how the sync process works the system could simply update my restored version by deleting the 'restored' note or clipping as the version on the server is more up to date than the one on my PC and is therefore the 'correct' version.

My position is that the current "sync" feature is very useful to copy/sync updated user-content from one device to another. For that, the design appears useful and has much merit.

However, we DO NOT have a valid backup and restore method of any kind, with documented and known outcomes. E.G. What will happen if someone "restores" an old directory to get Notes etc back.

I strongly believe that Logos needs to write and provide a BACK and RESTORE feature that will allow users to backup our user-content to local files (on disk, USB drive, burn to DVD etc), and the ability to selectively restore all or any manually selected portion of an old backup.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2010 8:09 AM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

SteveF:

Under what circumstances? Did you have more than one installation?

Dave:

[sorry, but I've been away from home on business]

I was attempting to install on a new laptop by using the "easy" methods on the WIKI that you have so helpfully provided.

I've used these many times on XP. This is the first time attempting it on Windows 7.

As well as losing ALL collections, I know that there is at leeast one book {NRSV Eng-Greek Interlinear etc) that appears in Libronix 3 that will not show up now in Logos 4 (even after using the SCAN C ...Resources command.)

So far I have been with you on the News Groups and the entire Beta projects--This is only the 2nd or 3rd "glitch" I have no idea how to repair it. It may be that in  backing up the original files that I mistakenly deleted or over-wrote the Collections (data base?).

Although replacing an extensive set of Collections will be very time consuming, I'm much  more concerned about the "missing" resource.

Thanks for whatever you can do, or suggest, David.

My next attempted "fix" will be the (dreaded) "Update Resources" (yes, without the quotes).

[edit] I will wait to do that until I've downloaded the latest 4.0d Beta 4

Thanks

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2010 8:50 AM | Locked

SteveF:
Although replacing an extensive set of Collections will be very time consuming, I'm much  more concerned about the "missing" resource.

OK, I stand corrected-the interlinear portion is now in the menu not done as a separate book. So Sorry!

So, I am back to my original woe re missing Collections--and may have un-wittingly done this to myself?

Thanks

Regards, SteveF

Posts 25111
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2010 5:15 PM | Locked

SteveF:
OK, I stand corrected-the interlinear portion is now in the menu not done as a separate book. So Sorry!

This is the same as the L3 ESV NT & ESV OT  resources.

SteveF:
So, I am back to my original woe re missing Collections--and may have un-wittingly done this to myself?

If you have the old computer or a backup then you can try to restore the \ResourceCollectionManager folder, but rename/save the current one in Win 7 first as this may not work. The alternative is to restore the \Documents folder as described in the wiki (again backup/rename first).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS