SUGGESTION: Leibniz's "Theodicy"

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5002
David Paul | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 3 2019 12:15 PM

Stunned that I don't find this book in Logos...unless it's sandwiched in somewhere. Critical and foundational reference that MUST be made available.

Posts 2776
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2019 9:31 AM

Yes

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Catalina 10.15.6

Posts 5002
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2020 6:33 AM

Still stunned this isn't in Logos. FL has some random philosophy book by Leibniz, but not the CLASSIC and foundational work of theology that he is famous for. Pretty much every book written on the subject since quotes Theodicy, or should.

Just to be clear, this is a work in the Public Domain, so there is no excuse for not making it available. I'll give you a head start.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17147/17147-h/17147-h.htm

Posts 576
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2020 7:50 AM

David Paul:
unless it's sandwiched in somewhere.

Faithlife does need to fix a problem with how some works in their catalogue can be found or organized. For instance, someone looking for Cicero's On Duties might think the work is unavailable in Logos (except as prepub), but actually you have to find it by the Latin title, De Officiis. And, yes, I'm referring to the English version there! (It's Perseus edition.)

Or someone may be searching for Immanuel Kant's Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morals and assume that it is not available in Logos, when actually it's available as Fundamental Principles of the Metaphysic of Ethics.

Granted, this is at root an issue with the publishing of English translations of these works throughout the years and is not due to a problem with Faithlife per se. But there is no reason why Faithlife can't consolidate these works with metadata that would make it easier for someone searching for "Groundwork..." to return results for what is actually the same text: Fundamental Principles... 

The bundling also makes things a bit of a mess here. Mill's Utilitarianism is packaged as part of a work called American State Papers.

Or maybe Faithlife's assumption is that the type of person looking for Cicero's On Duties is likely to also search for the Latin title? And in regards to something like Mill, maybe the assumption is that the customer will read through the detail of the product description of an unrelated title? But both of these are  ... not smart from a marketing standpoint, I would think. You want to make it as easy as possible for your customer to find the product you offer. 

And I also agree that Faithlife has some big gaps in its humanities selection (specifically philosophy, imo). Bentham's An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation for instance. And of course Nietzsche is entirely absent! etc.

However, you (we) really should count your blessings here. It wasn't that long ago that there were no works of philosophy available in Logos and even getting apologetic books (a field that makes use of philosophy) was difficult. Hopefully as Faithlife seeks to flesh out their library with the help of Reader editions etc. we will see more progress.

P.S. What Logos does have from Leibniz isn't that bad and Discourse on Metaphysics can give you some of his direction, I think.

Potato resting atop 2020 Mac Pro stand.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS