MacBook Pro gets very hot running Logos 8

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 15
Tim Beerman | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 10 2019 9:19 AM

Does anyone else have a problem with heat when using Logos 8? When I am using it my laptop gets so hot it's uncomfortable to have on my lap. The fan runs at full speed so there's the noise of it. This only happens with Logos 8. It never happens with any other software I use. Apple has checked my laptop and it has no issues which would cause the heat issue. Logos support says I am the only one with this problem.

Posts 4645
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 10:55 AM

Hi Tim

Apple laptops do run quite warm, and even hot especially when indexing etc.

If you are using your laptop on your lap then be very careful that your clothes do not restrict the air flow.

I usually find it better to stick it on a tray.

Posts 15
Tim Beerman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 10:59 AM

The difference between the heat my laptop generates when running Logos 8 and any other program is light years apart. After my laptop has been sitting on my laptop stand having used Logos 8 it is quite uncomfortable to place on my lap. Your reply wasn't helpful but thanks for trying!

Posts 2251
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 12:18 PM

I am convinced that Logos is among the most demanding pieces of software ever. All the more so when it needs to update and index and whenever you expect it to have mountains of windows and searches going. You didn't say what you have under the hood. If you don't have at least an i5 and 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD of recent vintage you are going to have a tough haul.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 15
Tim Beerman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 12:22 PM

The heat issue happens all the time, not just when indexing. My MacBook Pro is a 2.5 GHz core i7, 16GB, 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M.

Posts 1576
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 12:24 PM

Tim Beerman:

Does anyone else have a problem with heat when using Logos 8? When I am using it my laptop gets so hot it's uncomfortable to have on my lap. The fan runs at full speed so there's the noise of it. This only happens with Logos 8. It never happens with any other software I use. Apple has checked my laptop and it has no issues which would cause the heat issue. Logos support says I am the only one with this problem.

Hi Tim, what you are seeing is unusual. Your fans will run full speed while indexing, but they should not at any other time. Is it possible that Logos is stuck indexing?

What does the macOS Activity Monitor report concerning the CPU usage for Logos? Posting a screenshot (use the paperclip icon) of the Activity Monitor's CPU page with it filtered to just show "Logos" might be helpful.

Please post your logs (see my signature below). Perhaps they will reveal something about your issue.

Posts 15
Tim Beerman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 12:30 PM

Posts 1998
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 1:08 PM

Tim, do you have Atlas open? Trying to remember if there are other things that fire up LogosCEF like that....

Posts 2251
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 1:16 PM

Looks crazy out of control. I'll let someone suggest something, but my base hardware is similar and Logos is not even on 10% CPU. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 15
Tim Beerman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 1:31 PM

No. If I use the Atlas I come it when finished.

Posts 122
Dave Colclough | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 1:32 PM

Tim, a temporary workaround until this gets sorted might be to use the web version of Logos at  https://app.logos.com 

Posts 15
Tim Beerman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 1:32 PM

Sorry, I close it when finished.

Posts 15
Tim Beerman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 1:33 PM

That's what Logos Support suggested. I'd rather see them fix the issue.

Posts 1576
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 1:37 PM

Tim, let's try a diagnostic step:

In Logos, close all windows and panels (click the square with an "x" at top right of the toolbar).

In Program Settings make sure that "At Startup Open to" is set to "Open recent..." or "Blank Layout"

Then quit Logos.

Shut down and restart your Macbook.

Restart Logos, remain on a blank layout.

What happens? Is it still using a lot of CPU (give it a few minutes first)?

If it is not using CPU, then gradually start adding your normal resources until it triggers a high CPU.

Either way, posting your logs as I suggested above would be helpful.

Posts 15
Tim Beerman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2019 8:41 AM

Followed your instructions. Fan came on with a blank screen but the laptop could have already been warm. All I had to do to get the fan to come on was open the ESV on one side and type in notes on the other.

Posts 27682
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2019 8:44 AM

Tim Beerman:

That's what Logos Support suggested. I'd rather see them fix the issue.

Please post logs. Otherwise we can’t know what is happening on your computer 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15
Tim Beerman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2019 8:45 AM

Don't know how to do that.

Posts 1576
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2019 8:54 AM

use the link in my signature below:

Posts 27682
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2019 2:20 PM

Thanks for the logs. Hopefully a full fledged techie (or FL) will be by soon. I do see some warnings repeated multiple times. I'll list some representative ones below. 

A couple more things in the meantime: 

1) Can you tell us what computer you are using? Specs? 

2) Have you tried loading to a blank layout and working from scratch? 

Logos Log Warnings:

2019-07-11 15:30:47.3962 | WARN | 1 | SQLite Profile | 1003ms in DocumentInfo.db for: COMMIT
2019-07-11 15:30:59.1786 | WARN | 1 | SQLite Profile | 1003ms in Sermon.db for: COMMIT

[0711/145045.440735:WARNING:dns_config_service_posix.cc(336)] Failed to read DnsConfig.

2019-07-11 11:34:06.0289 | WARN | 1 | Sinai.Title | Couldn't find as Baggage in /Users/timbeerman/Library/Application Support/Logos4/Data/qtobwrn1.m8r/ResourceManager/Resources/ESV.logos4.
2019-07-11 11:34:06.0289 | WARN | 1 | Libronix.DigitalLibrary.Resources.Logos.LogosResource | Unable to open baggage at

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS