Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 127
John Marino | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 25 2019 1:59 PM

We are considering picking up an Amazon Fire Tablet (7") to remote control the Proclaim presentation during the service. Currently we are using my personal iPad, but want to transition to a church-owned device. Does anyone know of any reliability or speed issues with the Fire? Or does it seem to run the remote app well?

John

Posts 161
LogosEmployee
Matt Mattox (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 30 2019 2:20 PM

I can't speak much on the device as we personally use iPads, but you'll want to consider your internet connection at your church when using the remote. Local WiFi works as well. 

Posts 3663
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 30 2019 2:28 PM

Does a church user have a Fire Tablet you could experiment with for a week or two? I

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 611
LogosEmployee
Jordan Sjodin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 30 2019 2:31 PM

From a dev side, we have had issues with the FireTablets in the past. Amazon supports slightly different configurations than a traditional Android device, which has caused some issues. (just odd bugs that only affected the Amazon devices)

Also, they traditionally required us to use their own App Store. I believe they now let you use the normal Google Play Store to install apps so it might be better now.

I would try to borrow one to see how it goes first.

Mac | iOS | Android | Windows | Web Developer 

Posts 2408
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 30 2019 3:07 PM

John Marino:

We are considering picking up an Amazon Fire Tablet (7") 

Amazon Fire Tablets work well.  Until they decide not to update your operating system so you need to buy a new one every four years or so but other manufactures are about the same.

Also Amazon uses its own app store and will not let you use items from the Google Play store.  The Amazon store is about one tenth the size of the Google one. [ Faithlife had a problem getting all of its apps on the Amazon store. Amazon saw them as being all the same.  Don't know if that has been resolved ]

Posts 2408
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 30 2019 3:10 PM

John Marino:

Currently we are using my personal iPad, but want to transition to a church-owned device. Does anyone know of any reliability or speed issues with the Fire? Or does it seem to run the remote app well?

See if any of your church members or other friend will let you use their Fire to install the app and try. 

Posts 3663
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 30 2019 5:27 PM

David Ames:
Also Amazon uses its own app store and will not let you use items from the Google Play store.  The Amazon store is about one tenth the size of the Google one. [ Faithlife had a problem getting all of its apps on the Amazon store. Amazon saw them as being all the same.  Don't know if that has been resolved ]

You will need to sideload the Play Store, but instructions can be found online.  I have had pretty good luck with apps installed from the Play Store, but I do not use Proclaim.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 127
John Marino | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 31 2019 7:44 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback!

Posts 1838
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 15 2019 3:52 PM

Floyd Johnson:

David Ames:

You will need to sideload the Play Store, but instructions can be found online.  I have had pretty good luck with apps installed from the Play Store, but I do not use Proclaim.

Amazon App store has the Proclaim Remote App. I bought a Fire HD10 on Prime Day, downloaded the Proclaim Remote App and used it successfully last Saturday for a small funeral where I advanced slides (including a video slide) without a glitch.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS